Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
memoQ set-up with SSD (solid state drive)
Thread poster: Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:53
French to English
Jan 12, 2016

I hope to soon get a laptop with both an SSD (128 GB) and a conventional HDD.

Now, I understand that the memoQ application itself ought to be installed on the SSD. After all, the general guidance seems to be that the operating system, programs and applications go on the SSD, and "data" on the HDD.

The way I currently use (my fairly old version of) memoQ is that I create a new TM for each project, usually in a folder that is a sub-folder of the folder where the source fi
... See more

Now, I understand that the memoQ application itself ought to be installed on the SSD. After all, the general guidance seems to be that the operating system, programs and applications go on the SSD, and "data" on the HDD.

The way I currently use (my fairly old version of) memoQ is that I create a new TM for each project, usually in a folder that is a sub-folder of the folder where the source files are stored.
I then add various individual TMX files into that TM, depending on the client, subject, etc. to build a TM I hope will be useful for that project.

Presumably, the files to be translated will be on the HDD, since they are "data". That is how I see the situation at the moment, anyway.

And I was going to do the same with the TMs that I create for each project; basically as I do now, in fact.

But I wonder whether, given memoQ gives you free choice of where the TM can be stored, whether it is likely to work faster/better if the TM is also on the SSD? Has anyone any experience to share? I've seen advice to be cautious about writing/deleting too often with SSDs, and putting a TM on the SSD would involve a fair amount of both, with my current workflow, at least.

Obviously, I could experiment, but if someone else has already tried it.....

Thanks awfully!
Charlie

(FWIW, the idea is to get the latest version of memoQ, so the version I'm now using is probably not relevant info.)
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
my advice Jan 12, 2016

Charlie Bavington wrote:

The way I currently use (my fairly old version of) memoQ is that I create a new TM for each project, usually in a folder that is a sub-folder of the folder where the source files are stored.
I then add various individual TMX files into that TM, depending on the client, subject, etc. to build a TM I hope will be useful for that project.

Presumably, the files to be translated will be on the HDD, since they are "data". That is how I see the situation at the moment, anyway.

And I was going to do the same with the TMs that I create for each project; basically as I do now, in fact.

But I wonder whether, given memoQ gives you free choice of where the TM can be stored, whether it is likely to work faster/better if the TM is also on the SSD? Has anyone any experience to share? I've seen advice to be cautious about writing/deleting too often with SSDs, and putting a TM on the SSD would involve a fair amount of both, with my current workflow, at least.

Thanks awfully!
Charlie

(FWIW, the idea is to get the latest version of memoQ, so the version I'm now using is probably not relevant info.)

Best is memoQ program on one SSD, TMs on second SSD. However, second best is everything on the SDD. Don't worry, I don't think those write limits mean much. You'll most likely be on your next computer by the time you notice any ill effects. I've kept absolutely everything on my computer(s) on the same 3 SSDs for 2-3 years now, and no problems whatsoever.

gonzalo_kilgray
gonzalo_kilgray
Hungary
Local time: 02:53
Kilgray Support Reply Jan 12, 2016

Hi Charlie,

We have consulted our support team and this is what they have found:

There is a thing called write tolerance, endurance etc. We can call it anything for SSDs which means that theoretically its bad for the SSD to write/delete from it too many times but for an average user its highly unlikely to wear the SSD like this. Storing the data on it would mean better performance of course so I would suggest him to store them on that SSD.

I hope this help
... See more
Hi Charlie,

We have consulted our support team and this is what they have found:

There is a thing called write tolerance, endurance etc. We can call it anything for SSDs which means that theoretically its bad for the SSD to write/delete from it too many times but for an average user its highly unlikely to wear the SSD like this. Storing the data on it would mean better performance of course so I would suggest him to store them on that SSD.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Your Kilgray Team
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 03:53
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Better... Jan 12, 2016

... look for the notebook with SSD only, at least 500 GB. And put everything on it, especially the TMs -- big data run hundred times faster on SSDs.

(I'm going to accelerate my 4-year-ol notebook by changing HDD to SSD and adding some more RAM.)

[Редактировалось 2016-01-12 16:11 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Addendum Jan 12, 2016

Thanks for replies so far. In the meantime, Kilgray also said on Twitter that putting the TM on the SSD shouldn't be an issue.

FWIW, the laptop is already ordered (ready for collection, I heard 5 minutes ago!) so while advice on more and bigger SSDs is useful for future reference and for other readers, I can't change it now

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
SSD tech and OS es Jan 12, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Thanks awfully!
Charlie

Best is memoQ program on one SSD, TMs on second SSD. However, second best is everything on the SDD. Don't worry, I don't think those write limits mean much. You'll most likely be on your next computer by the time you notice any ill effects. I've kept absolutely everything on my computer(s) on the same 3 SSDs for 2-3 years now, and no problems whatsoever.

OK, let's have some storage nerdery. The SSD is so much fater than HDDs that the general rule is: put everything on the SSD if you can, and put large files that you don't need fast access for on the HDD. For this reason I would try and go for an SSD larger than 128 GB. I'd pick a 500GB SSD and no HDD over a 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD without a second's hesitation. If you do get dual storage, video files generally end up in the second bucket (HDD) because they are large and don't need fast reads.
The general advice is to put the operating system and programs on the SSD because those are the things that most users want to be read quickly. It speeds up booting and program startups. However, once a relatively small program like MQ has started, it runs in memory. I.e. in usage, you would probably not detect any difference between MQ itself being on a separate SSD, the same SSD as the TMs and an HDD. There aren't going to be many reads from storage that have to do with MQ as it's all loaded into RAM. In any case, I would suggest that you put your OS and programs on SSD as per the general advice.
Also put your TMs on the SSD as you most definitely want those to be accessed quickly.

Re: writing/deleting files often on SSDs, those technical issues have been essentially solved so you don't need to worry. If you buy a relatively recent model from an established brand, all you need to do is leave a bit of empty space on it and the firmware will take care of it. You can write and delete things all day long for years and it will be fine. The empty space should be at least a couple % of the drive's size, preferably 10% if you can spare that much. This is to allow the firmware to shuffle data around as needed. The technical details are tedious, but having a bit of empty space can lengthen the life of the drive even with modern firmware.

Charlie Bavington
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Should have asked earlier Jan 13, 2016

On reflection, I suspect a larger SSD and no HDD would perhaps have been a better choice, but never mind. What's done is done. At least I feel assured that putting TMs on the SSD is unlikely to cause any harm, which was a concern.

Given that I work by creating a new, project-specific TM for each memoQ project, I could even experiment, and see if there is a noticeable difference in speed between TM on SSD and TM on HDD.

Thanks again to everyone for their contributions.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes if huge Jan 13, 2016

Charlie Bavington wrote:

On reflection, I suspect a larger SSD and no HDD would perhaps have been a better choice, but never mind. What's done is done. At least I feel assured that putting TMs on the SSD is unlikely to cause any harm, which was a concern.

Given that I work by creating a new, project-specific TM for each memoQ project, I could even experiment, and see if there is a noticeable difference in speed between TM on SSD and TM on HDD.

Thanks again to everyone for their contributions.

You probably won't notice a difference with small TMs that only contain a couple hundred or a couple thousand segments. Perhaps the very first search will be 0.1-0.5 sec slower but probably not even that. (The OS will probably end up loading the TM into memory after the first search, so the underlying storage only matters on the first read). However, if you use very large reference TMs (hundreds of thousands or segments, or millions) then you could see a very significant speedup with those. Searches are slower on large TMs so the difference is greater, and they are often too large for the OS to load them into RAM so they have to be read from disk again and again.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
SSD not big enough... Jan 13, 2016

for the OS and data, even if only TMs... I have a 128 SSD and it's almost full, even with just programs installed on it. With large TMs increasing in size all the time, you'll run out of space pretty quickly...

Charlie Bavington
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
It must vary a great deal Jan 13, 2016

Well, so far there is 40 GB on the new SSD, and the only thing I haven't installed that I use regularly is memoQ, which I have been leaving until last.

My entire HDD on the previous laptop, thus including all the crud you pick up over a few years and never housekeep properly, as well as all proper work documents, TMs, software, was only 80 GB.

Perhaps that info helps explain where I was coming from with the question. Obviously if you're running enough applications that
... See more
Well, so far there is 40 GB on the new SSD, and the only thing I haven't installed that I use regularly is memoQ, which I have been leaving until last.

My entire HDD on the previous laptop, thus including all the crud you pick up over a few years and never housekeep properly, as well as all proper work documents, TMs, software, was only 80 GB.

Perhaps that info helps explain where I was coming from with the question. Obviously if you're running enough applications that 128 GB is hardly enough for the software, you might well wonder where I would find space for TMs on the SSD anyway
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
well... Jan 13, 2016

my PC is 3 years old now, so you tend to accumulate stuff... but with just the OS and the programs, the SSD bar is on the red... only happened the other day... I only have 8GB free now...

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Off topic Jan 14, 2016

Are you guys finding a SSD to be much better than a HDD?
I know they're supposed to be faster but also more expensive and less volume in general methinks.
Not really noticing the HDD on my current laptop to be particularly slow at the mo, or is there a huge difference?

[Edited at 2016-01-14 08:21 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Definitely worth doing Jan 14, 2016

Jo Macdonald wrote:
Not really noticing the HDD on my current laptop to be particularly slow at the mo, or is there a huge difference?

In my case there was a very noticeable difference, but you do get used it after a while. I still have my previous work PC here and when I occasionally boot it to check something it feels agonisingly slow compared to the new work PC with the SSD.

If you're looking to upgrade a laptop or PC to prolong its working life (rather than buying new) then buying an SSD and doing an image copy of your existing HDD to the SSD is the best way to improve performance.

Regards
Dan

Charlie Bavington
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Off-topic 2 Jan 14, 2016

I can tell you that Apsic Xbench loads in maybe 1/8th of the time it used to (half a million items, almost). I used to open it and go make coffee, and hope it had finished by the time I got back. It just loaded in

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Sounds like the way to go Jan 14, 2016

Thanks

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

memoQ set-up with SSD (solid state drive)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »