Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Something to think about (STAFF: very low rate job)
Thread poster: Thayenga
Anna Wiman
Anna Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:02
German to Swedish
+ ...
Been there, done that? Jun 23, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Sounds like a threat, doesn't it?

Yes, it does sound like a possible threat, since long-term collaboration was only stated as being possible.

"Sounds like a threat" was my reply to a "potential customer" who contacted me personally via my ProZ.com profile page and promised to swamp me with lots and lots of projects in the future if I agreed to their offer of a whopping 2 cents/word. In addition they wanted to know my discount schedule.

We had an interesting exchange of emails. I hope the poor PM didn't hang herself.

We've all been there, and it's always a combination of ridiculousness and frustration which, for me at least, most of the time ends up with... nothing. : - )

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Courage!? Jun 23, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

"Sounds like a threat" was my reply to a "potential customer" who contacted me personally via my ProZ.com profile page and promised to swamp me with lots and lots of projects in the future if I agreed to their offer of a whopping 2 cents/word. In addition they wanted to know my discount schedule.

We had an interesting exchange of emails. I hope the poor PM didn't hang herself.

I just wonder where they get that courage from to ask for a discount schedule on a per word rate of 2 cents.

Maybe they first listened to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoDKQYn-ANE

Btw. I hope the PM is still in this world, too.

Anna Wiman wrote:

We've all been there, and it's always a combination of ridiculousness and frustration which, for me at least, most of the time ends up with... nothing. : - )

If we could all make it a rule to simply ignore such amazing generosity, then maybe the agencies will learn.

Or, if we have some spare time on our hands, reply like George does/did:

George Hopkins wrote:
I usually ignore them, but now and then I respond with the comment: "You must be joking".

[Edited at 2013-06-23 08:40 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:02
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Courage? No. Brainwashed! Jun 23, 2013

Thayenga wrote:
I just wonder where they get that courage from to ask for a discount schedule on a per word rate of 2 cents.

The conversation was indeed interesting. The PM told me that she was new to the job and according to her training, discounts were industry standard.

After I was done with her, erm, corrective and advanced training crash course, I could feel her discouragement. Apparently PMs are trained in all kinds of bizarre myths. Then the poor kids with their little brains full of, erm, myths, are let loose on translators. Who in return will give corrective and advanced... (you get my drift) to the PMs. Who in return - this information is based on scientifically collected data - will prefer to flip burgers for the rest of their lives and will swear to never set foot in a translation agency or similar BDSM studios again.

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Training Jun 23, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

The conversation was indeed interesting. The PM told me that she was new to the job and according to her training, discounts were industry standard.

After I was done with her, erm, corrective and advanced training crash course, I could feel her discouragement. Apparently PMs are trained in all kinds of bizarre myths. Then the poor kids with their little brains full of, erm, myths, are let loose on translators. Who in return will give corrective and advanced... (you get my drift) to the PMs. Who in return - this information is based on scientifically collected data - will prefer to flip burgers for the rest of their lives and will swear to never set foot in a translation agency or similar BDSM studios again.

That is the key, Nicole. The problem of underpayment doesn't really lie with the PMs, but with their training instructors. They are only trained to make the most profit possible for the agency.

Good thing you (and I) provide a little more in-depth and realistic training.

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rockabilly -- If you don't like my peaches -- don't shake my tree Jun 23, 2013

Anna Wiman wrote:

Yes...if you don't like the (mini) peaches, walk on by the tress. Can't remember off hand who sang that song, but he sure must have seen all those "generous" job offers.

Here's a great rockabilly version; there are also blues versions of the same song. I hope it can be seen in Europe OK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V7rF_9E_pA

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Positivity in low rates :) Jun 23, 2013

Jessica Noyes wrote:

Here's a great rockabilly version; there are also blues versions of the same song. I hope it can be seen in Europe OK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V7rF_9E_pA

Thank you, Jessica. Yes, it's available here.

This video makes the bottom line quite clear: if you don't like my rates, don't send me jobs.

Seems like the post about the low rates has brought out the musicians in us.
That's an unexpected positive side of low rates.

[Edited at 2013-06-23 14:32 GMT]

Johanna González
Johanna González  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Whoa - wait... Jun 23, 2013

... that was not a typo?

o_O`

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wishful thinking Jun 24, 2013

Johanna González wrote:

... that was not a typo?

o_O`

Oh, that would be fantastic if the comma should have been one digit to the left (.10).
But I'm afraid it wasn't a typo.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Something to think about (STAFF: very low rate job)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »