Thread poster: Jorge González
Jorge González
Jorge González  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 8, 2005

Hi, I need some one to help me about a topic of my concern. I need to know about rates charged for proof reading from English into Spanish. I have been contacted by some companies about it and they asked me for prices, but I am not quite sure about how much to charge. Although I have some idea here in my country I do not have information about rates in this proz area.
Regards

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
By the hour Nov 8, 2005

Imagine a translation so good that you only need to read it, and perhaps mark a change or two, or even fewer, per page.

Now imagine a translation so poor that parts of it are unintelligible, and the parts that you do understand are only comprehensible because of your knowledge of the source language.

Clearly the difference in time required for these two cases will vary by a factor of 10 or even more.

Most editing jobs are somewhere in between these t
... See more
Imagine a translation so good that you only need to read it, and perhaps mark a change or two, or even fewer, per page.

Now imagine a translation so poor that parts of it are unintelligible, and the parts that you do understand are only comprehensible because of your knowledge of the source language.

Clearly the difference in time required for these two cases will vary by a factor of 10 or even more.

Most editing jobs are somewhere in between these two cases, but both of these extremes are realistic scenarios.

The best way to price editing is, therefore, by the hour. If the client needs to know your quote for the entire job before you start, calculate it on the basis of some sample passages. Be sure to review the whole document before making your estimate, to ensure that your samples are representative.

How do you know how much to charge per hour of your time? Base it on your own per-word rate. How many words can you translate per hour in an average text (mid-way between the hardest and easiest texts you typically translate)? Don't forget to account for time spent on research and proofreading.

To help you get an accurate idea of what to bill, try tracking the total time spent for a few of your typical translation projects. Divide the total earned by the exact time spent translating, researching and proofreading to find out how much you earned per hour of work.
Collapse

Jorge González
Jorge González  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for your kind help in this matter. I will take it into consideration. Regards Nov 9, 2005

GoodWords wrote:

Most editing jobs are somewhere in between these two cases, but both of these extremes are realistic scenarios.

The best way to price editing is, therefore, by the hour. If the client needs to know your quote for the entire job before you start, calculate it on the basis of some sample passages. Be sure to review the whole document before making your estimate, to ensure that your samples are representative.

How do you know how much to charge per hour of your time? Base it on your own per-word rate. How many words can you translate per hour in an average text (mid-way between the hardest and easiest texts you typically translate)? Don't forget to account for time spent on research and proofreading.

To help you get an accurate idea of what to bill, try tracking the total time spent for a few of your typical translation projects. Divide the total earned by the exact time spent translating, researching and proofreading to find out how much you earned per hour of work.

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Another option: one third of your translating rate Nov 9, 2005

If you translate, and you charge let's say 9 cents, for the sake of the argument, you could also propose 3 cents (one third of nine cents) as a proofreading/editing rate.

I tend to use either this formula or my hourly rate, whatever is more convenient for the client, PROVIDED and be very careful here, it is a straightforward job. If the translation is in such bad shape that needs a lot of rewriting, then the hourly rate immediately kicks in. Good luck!

[Edited at 2005-11-09 2
... See more
If you translate, and you charge let's say 9 cents, for the sake of the argument, you could also propose 3 cents (one third of nine cents) as a proofreading/editing rate.

I tend to use either this formula or my hourly rate, whatever is more convenient for the client, PROVIDED and be very careful here, it is a straightforward job. If the translation is in such bad shape that needs a lot of rewriting, then the hourly rate immediately kicks in. Good luck!

[Edited at 2005-11-09 23:02]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for Proof reading English into Spanish

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »