Expected salary for intern in Switzerland
Thread poster: Yolanda Bello Olvera
Yolanda Bello Olvera
Yolanda Bello Olvera  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 26, 2007

What should be the salary for an intern in the Montreaux area in Switzerland for the French into Spanish pair?

The internship is paid, lasts a full year, the office is in Montreaux and they offer to provide accomodation if required.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Yolanda

Christine Schmit (X)
Christine Schmit (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to French
+ ...
expected salary for intern in Switzerland Jun 27, 2007

Dear Yolanda,

During my time in Switzerland, I saw offers ranging from 1000 to 4500 Swiss francs gross per month. It depends on the company, banks and big international companies tend to pay quite well, whereas small companies would be towards the lower end.
Montreux is a nice place to live and the fact that they offer to provide accomodation is a big plus, as it's not a cheap area.

Best regards,

Christine

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 18:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Great opportunity! Go for it! Jun 27, 2007

I'm no longer up-to-date on salaries for translators in Switzerland, but I recall that in 1997 (approx.) there were jobs available in some major organizations, for qualified translators with maybe 5 years relevant experience, that paid up to CHF 7,000 gross.

I doubt that any respectable organization (and most organizations that can afford offices in Montreux are respectable!) would want to be seen paying less than CHF 2,000 gross for
... See more
I'm no longer up-to-date on salaries for translators in Switzerland, but I recall that in 1997 (approx.) there were jobs available in some major organizations, for qualified translators with maybe 5 years relevant experience, that paid up to CHF 7,000 gross.

I doubt that any respectable organization (and most organizations that can afford offices in Montreux are respectable!) would want to be seen paying less than CHF 2,000 gross for an internship. And I doubt that they would consider the French/Spanish pair as exotic, worthy of any upwards salary adjustment.

You should also look carefully at the associated benefits: accident and health care is horrendously expensive in Switzland so you should make sure your future employer makes adequate provision.

Living anywhere in Switzerland is expensive - and Montreux is one of the more-expensive towns. It will be important to weigh up the value of the offer of free accommodation. If you decline that part of the offer you could easily find yourself paying 800 (or more) Swiss francs per month for a one-room flat.

When I was working in Geneva, and living in the Canton of Vaud, Montreux was one of my favourite destinations for good food, entertainment, long walks along the lakeside - and of course the Jazz Festival. Even if you only break-even, financially, during your intership, I'm sure you find it worthwhile!

MediaMatrix
Collapse

Yolanda Bello Olvera
Yolanda Bello Olvera  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for you replies Jun 28, 2007

Thank you both for the information. It is most appreciated.

Now, let's just hope I get lucky!

Best regards from Mexico

Yolanda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Expected salary for intern in Switzerland

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »