María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 01:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 3, 2006

Hi, guys!

A few months ago, when I turned 53, my father (82 years old, healthy and handsome) asked me how I felt about growing older.

It was a long conversation I will never forget, and I would like to share with you the part concerning "professional obsolescence."

My Dad knows how much I enjoy translating, and he was a bit worried that I might be losing ground among the ever-increasing competition and the "fresh knowledge" of newly graduated colleagues.... See more
Hi, guys!

A few months ago, when I turned 53, my father (82 years old, healthy and handsome) asked me how I felt about growing older.

It was a long conversation I will never forget, and I would like to share with you the part concerning "professional obsolescence."

My Dad knows how much I enjoy translating, and he was a bit worried that I might be losing ground among the ever-increasing competition and the "fresh knowledge" of newly graduated colleagues.

Today, as I read this article, I was nicely surprised at the strong similarity between its contents and my answer to Dad's question.

THE BEAUTY OF AGING
Adapted from The Woman’s Book of Spirit, by Susan Patton Thoele (Conari Press, 2006).

Those who choose to look at what they have gained from advancing years, rather than what they lose, generally have a lustrous heart and a gleam in their eye. Ideally, the experiences accrued throughout the years bring increased wisdom and instill an inner security that allows us to speak our truth fearlessly and act from an unshakeable sense of integrity. Here is a great quote:

Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woman is uncontrollable by any earthly force.
--Dorothy Sayers

(If you wish to read on, here is the link: http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/bms/3019)

Cheers from an advanced middle-aged translator!

María Eugenia

[Edited at 2006-09-03 23:14]
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you, MEW! Sep 3, 2006

This month, when I turn 57, I'll read this again. My 85-year-old father (healthy and handsome) has the same concerns, since he has 3 college degrees that are worthless in today's market. I tell him, quoting a dear friend with rheumatoid arthritis: "As long as I have my memory, some eyesight, and the use of at least one finger, I can make a life." As a translator, I change that to: "I can make a career."

Our most valuable asset by far is our memory. And you and I have so much more of
... See more
This month, when I turn 57, I'll read this again. My 85-year-old father (healthy and handsome) has the same concerns, since he has 3 college degrees that are worthless in today's market. I tell him, quoting a dear friend with rheumatoid arthritis: "As long as I have my memory, some eyesight, and the use of at least one finger, I can make a life." As a translator, I change that to: "I can make a career."

Our most valuable asset by far is our memory. And you and I have so much more of that than our "newly graduated colleagues"!

Thanks for your thoughts and for the quote from Dorothy Sayers, one of my favorite authors.
Collapse

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
If You Use It You Won't Lose It/Other Suggestions Sep 3, 2006

The general mental activity, intellectual exercise, and high degree of concentration that translation requires bodes well for a translator having and maintaining a good memory well into the later years. By continuing to draw on it in your work as a translator, you probably will not lose your hard-earned intellectual abilities born of much experience. If you use it you won't lose it!

I'm not a doctor, but 3600 mg of fish oil (fish is considered "brain food") everyday might help, too,
... See more
The general mental activity, intellectual exercise, and high degree of concentration that translation requires bodes well for a translator having and maintaining a good memory well into the later years. By continuing to draw on it in your work as a translator, you probably will not lose your hard-earned intellectual abilities born of much experience. If you use it you won't lose it!

I'm not a doctor, but 3600 mg of fish oil (fish is considered "brain food") everyday might help, too, not to mention its other benefits. You can take a multi-vitamin with lutein (good for the eyesight). And I wish I had time to get more physical exercise (important, too).

Anyway, nobody's gonna force this Baby Boom Generation translator into "mandatory retirement" to make way for "young blood" any time soon! This is one of the best aspects about being a freelance writer/translator. As far as careers go, not that much age discimination (no one has to know your age).
Collapse

MikeGarcia
MikeGarcia  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
The Chilean Oracle...... Sep 3, 2006

My Dear "Madame Mew",

I, an only son, lost my Mom when I was 12, my Dad when I was 18, so I cannot share these heartrending experiences of listening to them......but I am 61, about to be a grand-dad of twins, married fro the 3rd time in my life, with two beauuuuutiful children of 31 and 12 years respectively, the offsprings of two different marriages, so I think I've left my imprints in life. And I feel every day more accomplished and fully prepared - after 30 years of a professiona
... See more
My Dear "Madame Mew",

I, an only son, lost my Mom when I was 12, my Dad when I was 18, so I cannot share these heartrending experiences of listening to them......but I am 61, about to be a grand-dad of twins, married fro the 3rd time in my life, with two beauuuuutiful children of 31 and 12 years respectively, the offsprings of two different marriages, so I think I've left my imprints in life. And I feel every day more accomplished and fully prepared - after 30 years of a professional career in my native country, Argentina, as Banker and lawyer and "de facto" translator and interpreter- to pound upon life and make it mine...in Spanish, "quien me quita lo bailado".

So, MEW, thank you for the opportunity to share with you and other prozian friends at a distance these thoughts, feelings and heartfelt wishes for a long lasting series of successes and accomplishments, both professional as well as personal.

We, the baby boomer Lone Rangers. still ride and will continue to ride again every time we are asked to do so!!!!!

Cheers,

Miguel.-
Collapse

sofiablu (X)
sofiablu (X)
Netherlands
Great wines Sep 3, 2006

Hello everybody!

I'm forty, my fifteen years old daughter refers to me as to an "old lady" (well, she's just a brat, even if she sees herself as a sophisticated young woman), but I must confess this is my best time ever.

As a child, I felt all the powerlessness of being a little girl; as a teenager, I felt "mercy of a rude stream". The twenties bursted with new, exciting things - university studies, first translation jobs, the baby. In my thirties, I had to rethink the
... See more
Hello everybody!

I'm forty, my fifteen years old daughter refers to me as to an "old lady" (well, she's just a brat, even if she sees herself as a sophisticated young woman), but I must confess this is my best time ever.

As a child, I felt all the powerlessness of being a little girl; as a teenager, I felt "mercy of a rude stream". The twenties bursted with new, exciting things - university studies, first translation jobs, the baby. In my thirties, I had to rethink the priorities in my life and wished a completely new twist.

And now here I am, trying to settle down in a new country, learning a new language, ready for my next 40, or why not, 50, 60 years to come.
I feel energetic though, more often than not, I have my blue moments. Nevertheless, I've never felt so full of enthusiasm, never bursted with so many energies. My brain still works, my experience as a translator becomes wider and deeper every day. What's more important, I know I will be learning to be a better person till my very last moment.

I come from a land of great wines - Barolo, Barbaresco, Brunello di Montalcino - to name but a few. And great wines are old wines...
Collapse

Marian Greenfield
Marian Greenfield  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
and me... getting ready for the big 50th b'day bash.... Sep 3, 2006

¡Hola mew!

Nice quote!!!]

Now me, I'm actually looking forward to celebrating the big 5-0.... which I, Madame President, turn on the first day of the ATA conference in New Orleans.

So don't you think it fitting that then entire Conference be considered my birthday party????

And what a great place NOLA is for a birthday bash!!!!!

Wish you would come....

Big hugs,
msg
María Eugenia Wachtendorff wrote:

Hi, guys!

My Dad knows how much I enjoy translating, and he was a bit worried that I might be losing ground among the ever-increasing competition and the "fresh knowledge" of newly graduated colleagues.

Today, as I read this article, I was nicely surprised at the strong similarity between its contents and my answer to Dad's question.

THE BEAUTY OF AGING
Adapted from The Woman’s Book of Spirit, by Susan Patton Thoele (Conari Press, 2006).

Those who choose to look at what they have gained from advancing years, rather than what they lose, generally have a lustrous heart and a gleam in their eye. Ideally, the experiences accrued throughout the years bring increased wisdom and instill an inner security that allows us to speak our truth fearlessly and act from an unshakeable sense of integrity. Here is great quote:

Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woman is uncontrollable by any earthly force.
--Dorothy Sayers

(If you wish to read on, here is the link: http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/bms/3019)

María Eugenia

Atenea Acevedo (X)
Atenea Acevedo (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks! Sep 3, 2006

MEW, thanks so much for sharing Dorothy Sayers' thoughts. More than inspirational for a younger generation.

Un abrazo,
A.

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Beauty... Sep 3, 2006

María Eugenia Wachtendorff wrote:

María Eugenia

... is in the brains of those who can handle it.
Woman, you may be middle-aged, but we younger ones need gals like you to find out where the road goes.

Cheers from an intermediate middle-aged translator!
Paul

[Edited at 2006-09-03 17:49]

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Happy 57 Sep 3, 2006

To Jane, and to all of us who have this happy age ahead of us:

http://tinyurl.com/ma6d8

by Tom Spears, Ottawa Citizen
Published: Thursday, August 10, 2006

There's cash in the bank and the kids have left home. That's what made people aged 57 the happiest age group in a national British survey.
The poll of 1,000 Brits didn't separate men and women.It is good news for actress Meryl Streep, Prince Charles and Bruce Springsteen. They're all 57.
Brits were asked to rate how happy they were with their lives, including their feelings about friends, family and work.
Great! said the 57-year-olds. Though the sex-life part of the survey picked mere kids in their late twenties as happiest.
The poll was done by a chain of travel agents over there called. WA Shearings the company's accompanying announcement said: “It’s surprising because we usually regard the younger years as the best.”
uote]

[Edited at 2006-09-03 18:27]

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Double "thank you" to GoodWords Sep 3, 2006

GoodWords wrote:

To Jane, and to all of us who have this happy age ahead of us:

http://tinyurl.com/ma6d8

by Tom Spears, Ottawa Citizen
Published: Thursday, August 10, 2006

There's cash in the bank and the kids have left home. That's what made people aged 57 the happiest age group in a national British survey.
The poll of 1,000 Brits didn't separate men and women.It is good news for actress Meryl Streep, Prince Charles and Bruce Springsteen. They're all 57.
Brits were asked to rate how happy they were with their lives, including their feelings about friends, family and work.
Great! said the 57-year-olds. Though the sex-life part of the survey picked mere kids in their late twenties as happiest.
The poll was done by a chain of travel agents over there called. WA Shearings the company's accompanying announcement said: “It’s surprising because we usually regard the younger years as the best.”
uote]

[Edited at 2006-09-03 18:27]

Thank you for the good wishes (the big day is the 18th) and for the wonderful article! Just confirms what I've felt. Kids are gone from home but still very close to us (in heart and communication, though not geographically); my husband and I have just moved 'way out in the country and are enjoying each other more than ever; and I'm just starting my 10th year in a fabulous 2nd career. What a joy to learn, at 48, that I can start something new (translating) and be really good at it! The first 48 years were all preparation...

Cheers to all my fellow baby boomers and late bloomers, and to all the younger generation who have so much to look forward to!

[Edited at 2006-09-03 22:17]

Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It feels soo goooood!! Sep 4, 2006

Jane Translates wrote:

…quoting a dear friend with rheumatoid arthritis: "As long as I have my memory, some eyesight, and the use of at least one finger, I can make a life." As a translator, I change that to: "I can make a career."

What a joy to learn, at 48, that I can start something new (translating) and be really good at it! The first 48 years were all preparation...

GoodWords quoted:

Tom Spears, Ottawa Citizen (Published: Thursda
... See more
Jane Translates wrote:

…quoting a dear friend with rheumatoid arthritis: "As long as I have my memory, some eyesight, and the use of at least one finger, I can make a life." As a translator, I change that to: "I can make a career."

What a joy to learn, at 48, that I can start something new (translating) and be really good at it! The first 48 years were all preparation...

GoodWords quoted:

Tom Spears, Ottawa Citizen (Published: Thursday, August 10, 2006)

Femme wrote:

Anyway, nobody's gonna force this Baby Boom Generation translator into "mandatory retirement" to make way for "young blood" any time soon! This is one of the best aspects about being a freelance writer/translator. As far as careers go, not that much age discimination (no one has to know your age).

Miguel García Uriburu wrote:

And I feel every day more accomplished and fully prepared - after 30 years of a professional career in my native country, Argentina, as Banker and lawyer and "de facto" translator and interpreter- to pound upon life and make it mine...in Spanish, "quien me quita lo bailado".

Sofiablu wrote:

I come from a land of great wines - Barolo, Barbaresco, Brunello di Montalcino - to name but a few. And great wines are old wines...

Marian Greenfield wrote:

Now me, I'm actually looking forward to celebrating the big 5-0.... which I, Madame President, turn on the first day of the ATA conference in New Orleans.
So don't you think it fitting that then entire Conference be considered my birthday party????

Atenea Acevedo wrote:

MEW, thanks so much for sharing Dorothy Sayers' thoughts. More than inspirational for a younger generation.

Argonauta wrote:

Woman, you may be middle-aged, but we younger ones need gals like you to find out where the road goes.

Thank you very much, my dear friends, for corroborating my strong belief that each stage in life has its unique charms and we, as independent translators, are among the few fortunate people who can show that -as Sofiablue says- “we are like wine," i.e., the older, the better!.

Our jobs are endless sources of learning, as we were born at the very outset of technological development, were raised and are still “growing up” in a rapidly changing world that would not be possible without us translators and interpreters!

Advanced Happy Birthday Hugs to Jane and Marian – and to all those who have yet to complete the hard yet fascinating task of living a whole year of your lives this year!

María Eugenia

[Edited at 2006-09-04 00:50]
Collapse

David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
To young Maria Sep 4, 2006

[quote]María Eugenia Wachtendorff wrote:

Hi, guys!

Hello Maria,
I started translating when I was 55 years old (old and depressed). I was fed up with working in a hospital all my life, and decided to go to Spain, learn Spanish and try something new. I also re-married a Spanish woman (also young and pretty). I am now over 62 (young and handsome) and never seem to stop working. I enjoy the challenge of new work and as I translate medical scientific projects, it also keeps me up to date in my field.
Being freelance gives me the freedom to enjoy life as I can, usually fit my work around my leisure activities
Good luck in your young age

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Thank you Maria Eugenia!! Sep 4, 2006

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience I am a middle aged translator too, almost 50.

bye bye all dear colleagues:)

Sofia are you 40? You are a young girl !!!!

[Edited at 2006-09-04 10:15]

Jack Becconsall
Jack Becconsall
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:19
German to English
You all have far to go Sep 5, 2006

At 76 I'm enjoying my work just as much as ever, and doing a good job (I just know that). It isn't that I really need the money (at least until my company's pension scheme folds up), and anyway almost a quarter of what I earn goes to keep this country in business. Forgive me for having a smile at those who think their 60s, 50s, and even 40s !!, is over the hill.
Oops! A mistake, I'm only 75. Maybe something is failing after all.

[Edited at 2006-09-05 08:42]

Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Jack, you are my idol!! Sep 5, 2006

Jack Becconsall wrote:

At 76 I'm enjoying my work just as much as ever, and doing a good job (I just know that). It isn't that I really need the money (at least until my company's pension scheme folds up), and anyway almost a quarter of what I earn goes to keep this country in business. Forgive me for having a smile at those who think their 60s, 50s, and even 40s !!, is over the hill.
Oops! A mistake, I'm only 75. Maybe something is failing after all.

[Edited at 2006-09-05 08:42]

Thank you ever so much for writing!

Getting feedback from you and other colleagues your age and above would work wonders with all of us. You have invaluable experience to share.

Would you consider starting a "Seniors Forum" here at Proz? Please give it a thought! I am sure you have lots of anecdotes to tell.

A big hug,

María Eugenia

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unbeatable Experience!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »