Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
a little odd, but ... Nov 30, 2006

My two centavos: It is a position within a translation company, so a background in translation would undoubtedly be helpful, and perhaps some ProZer might think this a nice change of pace ...

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:34
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Not all job postings require vetting Nov 30, 2006

Hello Mikhail,

I agree that the job falls outside of ProZ.com's mission, but, in this case, it went public directly because it happens to have been posted by a Member of ProZ.com (who does, in fact, regularly post translation jobs).

The only jobs that require vetting are:

(1) Those posted by outsourcers who are not logged in

(2) Those posted by non-member profiles which do not already have an established job posting track record in the syste
... See more
Hello Mikhail,

I agree that the job falls outside of ProZ.com's mission, but, in this case, it went public directly because it happens to have been posted by a Member of ProZ.com (who does, in fact, regularly post translation jobs).

(2) Those posted by non-member profiles which do not already have an established job posting track record in the system.

Yolanda
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:34
Spanish
+ ...
Abuse Nov 30, 2006

ybroad wrote:

Hello Mikhail,

(2) Those posted by non-member profiles which do not already have an established job posting track record in the system.

Yolanda

Then maybe the rules should be revised. To me this is clearly an abuse since ProZ is supposed to be "The translators workplace" not the classifieds.

Of course, there are other jobs that may have nothing to do with translation but still are relevant to translators, like DTP, copy-writing, etc. But this job posting clearly states that "Foreign language skills will be advantageous, but are not required." So it has absolutely nothing to do with our community. I just think the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:34
English to German
+ ...
Within the rules, as far as I can see Nov 30, 2006

Let's have a look at the rules for posting jobs at ProZ.com:

ProZ.com's job posting system is provided solely for the purpose of announcing jobs of interest to language professionals. Postings that do not concern jobs, or that concern jobs that are not of interest to translators, interpreters or other language professionals, are not allowed.

As Patricia pointed out (correctly, I believe), this could be of interest for language professionals.

When deciding whether or not to permit job postings, moderators always prefer leaving the choice to members and users, rather than making decisions on their behalf. If you're not interested, may I suggest to just ignore the posting - it might well be interesting for a colleague.

Best regards,
Ralf

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Abuse?!? Nov 30, 2006

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Then maybe the rules should be revised. To me this is clearly an abuse since ProZ is supposed to be "The translators workplace" not the classifieds.

Of course, there are other jobs that may have nothing to do with translation but still are relevant to translators, like DTP, copy-writing, etc. But this job posting clearly states that "Foreign language skills will be advantageous, but are not required." So it has absolutely nothing to do with our community. I just think the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Interesting, how a sales executive responsible for selling translation services has "absolutely nothing to do with our community"?

Obviously there are different views on what a translators workplace means.. nevertheless, this ad got a lot more exposure due to this forum topic

Magda

PS Just to explore the issue a little bit: as freelancers we all spend considerable amount of time precisely on *selling and marketing* language services. The question how many of us would decide to pursue this activity full time rermains open, but as Ralf said above - let the collegues decide themselves.

[Edited at 2006-11-30 20:20]

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:34
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
An asset to service providers... Dec 1, 2006

Hi,

Personally, I think the job is more than within ProZ.com Job Posting Rules.

Picking a translation sales executive from the translation industry is IMHO simply natural: who knows the market, the needs of the market and service providers and outsourcers better than someone from within?

Someone from within the industry would know what each prospect job implies, both in terms of time investment, tools and skills required and of costs as well.

A
... See more
Hi,

Personally, I think the job is more than within ProZ.com Job Posting Rules.

Picking a translation sales executive from the translation industry is IMHO simply natural: who knows the market, the needs of the market and service providers and outsourcers better than someone from within?

Someone from within the industry would know what each prospect job implies, both in terms of time investment, tools and skills required and of costs as well.

As Magda said, we all do sales, some of us better than others, but it is still part of our job description. Some long-term service providers might feel ready to step off and invest their acquired experience full time in a new challenge, thus doing a valuable service to all those who prefer to keep on translating and interpreting.

Giuliana
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Not abuse Dec 1, 2006

From the point of view of a humble member, it seems perfectly reasonable to me! It's not as if they're advertising for someone to make the tea...

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 05:34
English to German
+ ...
This is the place to post I would think Dec 1, 2006

I would post the same inquiry on the same spot. I can not see anything wrong with it.

Or is there a other place to post such jobs and I missed it?

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Posting is perfectly within scope Dec 1, 2006

Hi Mikhail, Claudia,

I completely fail to see the logic of your argument. Where else should a translation company go to advertise this in-house position? Beats me ...

In full support of all other contributors,

Steffen

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
There are often jobs posted for Dec 1, 2006

positions within translation agencies - and I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. The job is directly related to translation and many translators work as account/sales managers within translation agencies at some point in their career ...

It's not as if they are advertising for a sales/account manager within a bank or travel agency so I don't see any issue here!

Mihailolja
Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Agree with Mikhail and Claudia Dec 1, 2006

This is an abuse of proz just to get more exposure for this particular job, shouldn't be allowed. Go advertise elsewhere.

Mihailo

Fernanda Díaz
Fernanda Díaz  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
what's all the fuss about it? Dec 2, 2006

Sorry, but what's the problem? I don't get it. If Proz.com has decided to post this job here, it's because it's correct. This agency usually posts jobs and now needs a Sales Managers. It's ok. Don't make such a fuss, please.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Post does not belong in the jobs section

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »