Marlou Franken  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:11
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 19, 2008

Hi,
I am working on a large text that has automatic indexing at the beginning of the document. The text is formatted in table form.
The PM advised me to just overwrite the text, but I would much prefer Trados: as there are quite a bit of reps and the copying/pasting is time consuming and confusing sometimes.
Do you know if Trados messes up the automatic indexing, or does any other harm?

Kind regards, Marlou

[Edited at 2008-09-19 18:48]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:11
English to Thai
+ ...
TagEditor Sep 20, 2008

I usually use Trados TagEditor with indexed documents since special tags [e.g. indexing code] are preserved well.

regards,
SL

Marlou Franken
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tageditor, good idea Sep 20, 2008

Thanks for the tip, I'll use it next time, hadn't thought of that.
I've already started working with Trados in Word, but I'm not touching the headers. I'll do those manually after cleaning. No harm done yet...

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
You don't have to... Sep 20, 2008

Textmill wrote:

Thanks for the tip, I'll use it next time, hadn't thought of that.
I've already started working with Trados in Word, but I'm not touching the headers. I'll do those manually after cleaning. No harm done yet...

TagEditor will handle them for you. When editing in Word you would need to use the Bookmark Handler to do the job, which is rather time-consuming.

Marlou Franken
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
small question Sep 21, 2008

Hi,
Can I clean what I've done so far and continue in Tageditor? I must say that it is working awfully slow in word, probably due to the number of pages (about 400) that need to be re-indexed after each segment.
Greetings, Marlou

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes, but... Sep 21, 2008

Textmill wrote:

Hi,
Can I clean what I've done so far and continue in Tageditor?

Sure, but you'll get a half-cleaned file. This means, if you've translated 200 out of 400 pages so far, you will get a cleaned document containing 200 pages cleaned and 200 pages uncleaned (i. e. with the source-language version).

Regards.

Marlou Franken
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok Sep 21, 2008

Thanks very much!
I am to deliver a clean file, the unclean translation is not required. After cleaning I will still have to translate the tables, of which some are scans and others excel insertions.

So, I think I can clean up then and continue with tageditor, that will hopefully work faster.

greetings, Marlou

[Edited at 2008-09-21 20:17]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use of Trados in an indexed document

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »