Thread poster: Bin Zhao
Bin Zhao
Bin Zhao
China
Local time: 16:31
English to Chinese
Mar 13, 2008

Hi guys,

I met with a strange thing when using format paiting in SDL Edit. That is once I click the icon of Format Paiting on the toolbar (or pressing Ctrl + F9), the whole left column (i.e. source column) becomes target column and I cannot preceed with formatting work. I used workbench to pre-translate my .ttx file, which was then converted to .itd file for my preference. Then when I am working with SDL Edit, there are some segments translated already. And when I do formating work
... See more
Hi guys,

I met with a strange thing when using format paiting in SDL Edit. That is once I click the icon of Format Paiting on the toolbar (or pressing Ctrl + F9), the whole left column (i.e. source column) becomes target column and I cannot preceed with formatting work. I used workbench to pre-translate my .ttx file, which was then converted to .itd file for my preference. Then when I am working with SDL Edit, there are some segments translated already. And when I do formating work I encountered the case above. I have reinstalled my SDLX 2006 and restarted my computer for several times and it didn't work. Can anyone explain this and some suggestions?

Thanks.

Bin Zhao
Collapse

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:31
English to German
Don't use fuzzies Mar 13, 2008

Hi Bin Zhao,

This is normal behaviour when there are fuzzy matches in the TTX file.

I also use SDLX for any TTX jobs, and it works like a treat as long as you use a match value of 100% when pre-translating the TTX file. I guess you did import your Trados TM into an SDLX TM, so I'd strongly suggest using fuzzies only when applying your SDLX TM to your ITD.

HTH,
Stefan

Bin Zhao
Bin Zhao
China
Local time: 16:31
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Mar 13, 2008

Hi Stefan Keller,

Many thanks for your explanation and suggestions. I 've got it!

TagEditor is really not a good editor for me. I always use SDL Edit instead, although there are lots of work, including exporting from Trados TM and importing to SDL TM.

Best Regards and Thanks,

Bin Zhao

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source Becomes Target after clicking Format Paiting in SDL Edit

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »