Appletrans CAT tool
Thread poster: oscar mojon saa

oscar mojon saa  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:32
French to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 21, 2006

Has anybody here tried the Appletrans application? Is it any good?
The thing that keeps me away from Mac OS is that I cannot run Trados or Déjà Vu on the Apple operating systems, so before making any decision I would like to know if you have some experience working with this tool.

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
try Wordfast Feb 21, 2006

www.wordfast.net

It works on Mac

G

[Edited at 2006-02-21 19:37]

Sabine Cretella
Germany
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
And what about OmegaT? Feb 21, 2006

Well, why not give OmegaT a try?

http://omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html

yahoo-usergroup: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/omegat/
(you can also subscribe sending an empty message to: omegat-subscribe@yahoogroups.com)

It is now the leading one when it comes to segmentation (SRX standard), runs on OsX (it needs Java preinstalled), and makes huge steps ahead when it comes to compatibility. Just today I very likely found out how to work on Trados presegmented files. I will post that on my blog (http://sabinecretella.blogspot.com/) - very likely tomorrow - I am waiting for confirmation by some colleagues that the files I sent back to them work fine.

And of course, being it a GPL tool it is free.

Oh well, yes I am evangelising, evangelising, evangelising ...

Have a great time trying it out - and if there are questions: just let us know.

Best, Sabine

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:32
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
There will always be restrictions Feb 22, 2006

There will be jobs you can do on the Mac or in Linux fine, and others where only the real thing will work. It depends very much on your customers. As a non-Windows-user you are more on your own, because the user base is so small.
Good luck.
Heinrich

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:32
English to Spanish
SRX Feb 22, 2006

Hi Sabine,

Sabine Cretella wrote:

Well, why not give OmegaT a try?

It is now the leading one when it comes to segmentation (SRX standard)

What version of OmegaT can use SRX files for segmenting?

Oh well, yes I am evangelising, evangelising, evangelising ...

I missed the announcement of SRX support in OmegaT. Maybe not enough evangelising

Regards,
Rodolfo

oscar mojon saa  Identity Verified
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 22, 2006

Thank you all for all your tips

Best regards,

Oscar

Sabine Cretella
Germany
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
SRX and OmegaT Feb 22, 2006

Hi Rodolfo,

Version 1.6 - I cannot post it here - but if you want I can give you a piece of tags by e-mail.

Btw. I am using the flexible sentence segmentation rules within OmegaT to work on Trados files - we tried out with 5 different files from 5 different colleagues and all went OK. Of course there will be always limitations and these will come from open document - Word compatibility I suppose. But considering my using OOo 2.0 with Wordfiles (I hava also Word on my computer) approx 90 % of the files should work out well.

Btw. Heartsome is a great tool for a reasonable price - I forgot to mention it here and it definitley has its place among Trados, DéjàVu and SDLX.

What I always would underline when someone thinks about starting to work with a CAT-Tool: the price should not be the reason for buying or not, but its useability.

Ciao, Sabine

p.s. the grey cells are still sleepping ... so sorry for any typos

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Minimum req. for Trados on VPC Feb 22, 2006

oscar mojon saa wrote:

The thing that keeps me away from Mac OS is that I cannot run Trados or Déjà Vu on the Apple operating systems, so before making any decision I would like to know if you have some experience working with this tool.

Thanks.

Hi!

I decided to compile some of the other user experience running Trados on Mac over VPC. Since the environment is a crucial factor to whether it will work or not, this will be a good guide.

So based on other people's experience, these are the minimum requirements:

Trados 4.5 and above with USB dongle
OSX 10.1.2 and above (OS9 might work, but I found less evidence)
VPC 5 and above (version must match CPU type)
CPU: G3 333 MHz and above
Mac model: PowerMac and PowerBook (iBook user reported dongle issues)
RAM: preferably 512 Mb and above

Good luck!

Jan

List of successful environments for Trados on Mac:

http://www.proz.com/post/183752#183752
Henry Vaughan:
Trados does work with VPC
I have a Trados 4.5 licence with a USB dongle
I tried with VPC using Windows 2000 on My 1Gb PowerMac G4 with 1Gb of RAM and it does work quite well, slower than on the PC but very acceptable. You just have to make sure you've got the latest dongle drivers.

Francois Hoareau:
Trados does work within Virtual PC, which is of course unsuported, no matter if the emulation is running within Mac OS 9 or 10.

http://www.proz.com/post/176268#176268
Vincent Knobil:
Virtual PC 6 & 7 and Trados (6+) work fine, even on G3 Macs (although obviously, the faster the Mac, the better). Most people feel that Windows 2000 is the best MS OS in terms of performance (in general and on VPC). While launching Windows and apps is very slow, once they are launched, performance is fine (again, even on a G3, at least in my experience).

I've used Trados on Virtual PC, on a lowly G3! I second everything said above. It works fine. Actually, Windows is slow, loading apps is slow, but once everything is loaded and running, it is fast enough. And this is where another great feature comes in: You can launch your whole work environment on the Virtual PC, and just save its current state when you quit. On relaunch, instead of loading Windows etc., it just quickly loads everything as it was when you quit, and you are ready to go.

Word of warning: Until just recently, Virtual PC was incompatible with the G5 processor. Make sure you get the just-released version 7 if you are running a G5-based Mac.

http://www.proz.com/topic/15252
Stephan Goldsmith:
I am currently using Trados 6.5 Freelance Edition (mind you, it has to be with the USB dongle) and although the Virtual PC is certainly a bit slower than if you would work directly on a PC, it is still fully fonctionnal.

There is one element to take into account though : the more RAM memory you can assign to your Virtual PC, the faster it will run. This means that you need to have a Mac with as much RAM as possible.

Just to give an idea, I am working on a 1.25 Ghz G4 PowerBook with 1024 MB RAM, running Mac OS X (version 10.3.5) and Virtual PC 6.1.1.

The PC I created to use Trados has 512 MB of RAM and disk space that can grow up to 15GB and runs Windows 2000 (I have another Virtual PC with XP, but without Trados)

One of the aspect I like in this configuration is that you can create a master PC with Trados and Office installed for example and store that PC on your hard disk (a newly created PC will be around 1.5 GB). Then, you duplicate that PC and use the copy in production. Your files can stay in your Mac file system as you can freely drag and drop them from the Mac desktop to the PC desktop and vice-versa. In case your production PC starts behaving weirdly, you can simply trash it, make a copy of your master PC and you are up and running again in no time.

So, Trados can be used on a Mac with Virtual PC, provided the following conditions are met :

- You need a copy of Trados with the USB dongle;
- You can allocate as much RAM as possible to your Virtual PC

http://www.proz.com/post/231786#231786

Ballistic:
I made the switch from windows to MacOs (Tiger) one month ago. I bought a powermac dual 2,0 ghz with 2 gb ram (I do a lot of imaging, photoshopping etc). Trados 6,5 is running under virtual pc 7 and win xp pro as is my spelling checker. I had no problems installing virtual pc and Trados. I still have one problem though: windows recognizes the dongle (I had to install the rainbow usb superpro driver) and when I ask Trados for information about the license, it gives the correct version, dongle and everything. Only, when I start translating, the application runs in demo-mode.

VPC7 was designed specifically for the PowerMac 64-bit environment (as Adobe CS2 is). I have XP pro running under VPC with all settings set to performance (and not graphic detail). Normal word use with trados is free of lag. I am now translating a big file using tag editor and there is some slight lag there. It doesn't bother me at all, however. Spellchecker, dictionary and other apps are lagless. You must, however, allocate a hefty chunk of RAM to VPC and make sure you open VPC as the first application, since that is when it takes the required RAM. I have 2 gig of RAM and only 512 mb allocated to VPC and haven't yet felt the need to increase that. I have 2 GB of RAM for photoshop and since multitasking isn't about making translations and photoshopping at the same time (), I could easily get away with another 512 mb ram for VPC.

Also, I didn't bother to install all the windows updates, firewall or virusscanner for XP, as that is generally the clutter that slows down your pc (and consequently vpc).

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lantramug/message/864
"Trados runs fine on Virtual PC (version 5 is fastest) but you must
have the USB dongle for it to work at all.
For best results first delete two files from the "Cntx" folder: the
VPCHelp and the Vpchelp.vxd, so that those files do not interfere
with the clipboard function and make Trados stick.
After that, Trados will be working like a charm.
My tests under OS 10.1.2 are also OK"

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lantramug/message/947
Yes I have done using VPC and a USB dongle to run Trados 5.5
Freelance on a Powerbook G3 333 (and later with G4/500 upgrade) under
OSX (now Jaguar).

Firstly 256 MB is probably a bit small for OSX and will slow down
Trados. It is acceptbale in speed terms, but there are one or two VPC
settings that will need to be made to ensure that it does not crash.

English to Spanish
SRX in OmegaT? Feb 22, 2006

Sabine Cretella wrote:

Version 1.6 - I cannot post it here - but if you want I can give you a piece of tags by e-mail.

Hi Sabine,

I went to sourceforge and downloaded latest version of OmegaT (1.6_RC7). I did not find any option for selecting an SRX file in a project, so I checked the help for instructions on using SRX files for segmenting documents and found this:

"The Sentence Segmentation was built with Segmentation Rules eXchange (SRX) standard in mind, though as of current writing, OmegaT neither supports all SRX features, nor is able to import/export rules defined in SRX format. "

Documentation seems to imply that OmegaT does not support SRX. Is the help correct? If not, how can I select the SRX file to be used for segmenting a document?

Did I miss something?

Best regards,
Rodolfo

[Edited at 2006-02-22 10:30]

Sabine Cretella
Germany
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
SRX in OmegaT Feb 22, 2006

Hi Rodolfo,

I just sent you the file name you need to look at and the contents of that file on my computer by e-mail.

Best, Sabine

English to Spanish
OmegaT does not support SRX Feb 22, 2006

Sabine Cretella wrote:

Hi Rodolfo,

I just sent you the file name you need to look at and the contents of that file on my computer by e-mail.

Best, Sabine

Hi Sabine,

Thanks for the file. It confirms that OmegaT does not support SRX.

SRX is an XML based standard, created by LISA (localization Industries Standards Association) and it is available at http://www.lisa.org/standards/srx/

What you sent me seems to "inspired" on SRX, but it is not SRX at all. It is a proprietary format from OmegaT, unrelated to the open standard for exchanging segmentation rules published by LISA.

Best regards,
Rodolfo

Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:32
English to Italian
+ ...
Does anyone use AppleTrans? Jun 9, 2009

I was trying to load the apple glossaries and stumbled across AppleTrans. Had a look at the User's guide, but I am not too clear. Does anyone have stories they would like to share?

Thanks,

Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Appletrans CAT tool

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search