Basic question on website translation
Thread poster: Christine Tochtermann
Christine Tochtermann
Christine Tochtermann  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:14
English to German
+ ...
Jul 9, 2003

I have been asked to translate a website, the only information supplied was the address. Look at previous postings, I have read the excellent introduction of Feb 27, but still have a few basic questions. I recently bought Trados 6, so I thought I use Tag Editor for the translation. Part of the process is defining DTD settings, how can I find out what the settings are, or should this be supplied by the customer? (I have worked how to look at the source with "viw source")Also, another very basic p... See more
I have been asked to translate a website, the only information supplied was the address. Look at previous postings, I have read the excellent introduction of Feb 27, but still have a few basic questions. I recently bought Trados 6, so I thought I use Tag Editor for the translation. Part of the process is defining DTD settings, how can I find out what the settings are, or should this be supplied by the customer? (I have worked how to look at the source with "viw source")Also, another very basic point, how do I access the files to be translated, so that I can use them in Tag Editor and Workbench?

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Pablo Villadangos
Pablo Villadangos  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:14
Member (2003)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TagEditor is prepared to translate HTML documents Jul 9, 2003

Hi Christine (nice to see you again!),

TagEditor is already prepared to translate normal HTML documents. If the files of your client have special format (XML, SGML, etc.) you should ask him to provide you with the special DTD-settings file. But if the format is plain HTML you don't need to do it. To verify, open TagEditor and select Tools, DTD Settings. There must be there one file called "Default HTML Settings". That's all you need.

To translate the files, open TagEdit
... See more
Hi Christine (nice to see you again!),

TagEditor is already prepared to translate normal HTML documents. If the files of your client have special format (XML, SGML, etc.) you should ask him to provide you with the special DTD-settings file. But if the format is plain HTML you don't need to do it. To verify, open TagEditor and select Tools, DTD Settings. There must be there one file called "Default HTML Settings". That's all you need.

To translate the files, open TagEditor which will ask you if you want to open WorkBench, select Yes and open the memory of your choice. Then open the files within TagEditor. That's it!!

Hope it helps. Hasta pronto,

Pablo (ALTC)
Collapse

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:14
French to English
Does the client have Trados? Jul 9, 2003

ALTC wrote:

If the files of your client have special format (XML, SGML, etc.) you should ask him to provide you with the special DTD-settings file.

Pablo (ALTC)

It sounds to me like this is a Web site for a direct client (based on the fact that the client simply supplied the URL -- an agency would [or should] know better).

Does the client have Trados to be able to supply a DTD file?

When a client asks you to translate a Web site, you should ALWAYS ask the client to send the files to be translated to you. The text on Web sites is very often dynamic (meaning that it changes based on various factors) and you have no way of being sure that you have retrieved all the material to be translated or if you have retrieved material that should not be translated.

You should also be careful about the word count. An excellent tool for counting text in HTML files is WebBudget.

Trados will help by segmenting portions that are to be translated, but it can be very dangerous to take on this type of project without knowing more about the structure of HTML files and the various types of files that a site may contain (and what you as the translator must do with the files.

Good luck,
Karin

Christine Tochtermann
Christine Tochtermann  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:14
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All .htm files Jul 9, 2003

Karin Adamczyk wrote:

ALTC wrote:

If the files of your client have special format (XML, SGML, etc.) you should ask him to provide you with the special DTD-settings file.

Pablo (ALTC)

It sounds to me like this is a Web site for a direct client (based on the fact that the client simply supplied the URL -- an agency would [or should] know better).

Does the client have Trados to be able to supply a DTD file?

When a client asks you to translate a Web site, you should ALWAYS ask the client to send the files to be translated to you. The text on Web sites is very often dynamic (meaning that it changes based on various factors) and you have no way of being sure that you have retrieved all the material to be translated or if you have retrieved material that should not be translated.

You should also be careful about the word count. An excellent tool for counting text in HTML files is WebBudget.

Trados will help by segmenting portions that are to be translated, but it can be very dangerous to take on this type of project without knowing more about the structure of HTML files and the various types of files that a site may contain (and what you as the translator must do with the files.

Good luck,
Karin

Thanks for your reply. As far as I can see all the files are .htm, so Trados default DTD settings should be o.k. It is through an agency, so I will ask if their customer can send me the files, as I can't see an easy way to open all the files in Tag Editor.

Christine

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:14
French to English
That is exactly my point ... Jul 9, 2003

Christine Tochtermann wrote:

Thanks for your reply. As far as I can see all the files are .htm, so Trados default DTD settings should be o.k. It is through an agency, so I will ask if their customer can send me the files, as I can't see an easy way to open all the files in Tag Editor.

Christine

That is exactly my point! You may only see HTML files, but you have no way of knowing whether the content is static (doesn't change) or dynamic (changes). Content may be from a database, style sheets, script or other sources.

One place to get started would be http://www.utoronto.ca/webdocs/HTMLdocs/NewHTML/htmlindex.html

Good luck,
Karin

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
if htm its not dynamic Jul 15, 2003

Dynamic files have endings tyically .php or .asp. If the ending is .htm or .html its a static file, which has only one version.
To check the translation one should view the file at least in two or three different browsers to make sure nothing has gone wrong.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Basic question on website translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »