Word spellcheck problems
Thread poster: Sara Baroni
I have been using memoQ (both 8.2 and 2015) and WORD spellcheck in combination for years without any problems. To clarify, I have an English UK version of Office 2010 with the Italian language package for the Italian spellcheck.
On Friday I upgraded the old Office 2010 to Office 365. Again the English UK version. Then I downloaded the Italian package for spellcheck and grammar, as directed by Microsoft. All installed without problems.
However, now memoQ (neither version) does not find Word when running spellcheck.
I go into memoQ options, select the language (Italian) and then select the Word spellcheck, which is fine. I have restarted memoQ numerous times too. But then when I run the spellcheck, memoQ says "Microsoft Word" is not available. I even opened Word at the same time and it works and it has the Italian spellcheck.
Does anyone have any clues?
Many thanks in advance for any help.
| It may be a Word issue || Jun 26, 2018 |
Hi Sara, this may be an Office issue as well. Try to use the Word spellchecker from another application that uses it. You may also want to restart your computer.
| Bitness problem || Jun 26, 2018 |
Kilgray insisted that this problem was due to a "weak" or "lesser" edition of Office. Such edition does not exist, though. I have Office 365.
The problem is really due to memoq 8 deciding bitness automatically: if your system is a 64-bit system, memoq will run its 64-bit version. Now, if you have installed the 32-bit version of Office, that's why memoq says "Word is not available".
I did my own research and found that, as Kilgray's terrible support wanted me to yet again submit a project backup, as always, for any kind of problem...
Now that I did the work their developers should have done, I hope they provide a solution soon, because the Hunspell checkers for Greek are very poor.
| | Sara Baroni
Local time: 19:09
English to Italian
So it turns out there was a conflict with my old Office software. I disinstalled that and then a Microsoft technician repaired Office for me and reinstalled the language package. I can confirm all is working now. I did it through the online chat help of Office, which I must say was impressive.
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »