Thread poster: Sue Crocker
Sue Crocker
Sue Crocker  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:16
French to English
May 19, 2007

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can advise me on per minute pricing for subtitles. I have applied for subtitling work and have been asked to provide a price per minute. Is there an average number of words per minute that I could use to convert my per word rate into a per minute rate?
Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome. The company in question is American, so even info regarding the average low end rate and the average high end rate would be of use.
Thanks
Sue Crocker

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:46
English to Russian
+ ...
$6.00 per minute.. May 19, 2007

.. to start with, provided you receive the transcribed file in the source language in MS Word format and with the timing already inserted.

I believe I have already posted some info on subtitling rates in Forums.

Good luck with the project.

honnyaku (X)
honnyaku (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:46
English to Japanese
$200 per 10 mins. for high end May 20, 2007

I'm a Japanese movie translator working for Japanese companies, so this might not help you working for an American company, but just for your information.
In Japan, for experienced good translators, they pay more than $200 per 10 minutes.
But if you are a beginner, it's like $50 per 10 minutes.

Hope this will help you a bit.

sigenga
sigenga
Local time: 10:46
English to Tagalog
+ ...
lower rate if MS Word is provided? Jul 4, 2007

sokolniki wrote:

.. to start with, provided you receive the transcribed file in the source language in MS Word format and with the timing already inserted.

I believe I have already posted some info on subtitling rates in Forums.

Good luck with the project.

Hello, just following up on this question, do you mean that it's a lower rate if they provide us with the MS word format of the subtitles? Is it an industry trend that they also price proofreading of subtitles by the minute and not per word?

Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

per minute pricing for subtitles

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »