Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:14
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Proposal for another thread Mar 11, 2009

Thank you for the examples, Victor,
Jan Willem and others are now perfectly informed of where this forum topic started from.

Nonetheless I must remind all participants that this is about as far as anyone can go in this topic without getting into conflict with the following forum rule:
When a topic has been locked, discussion may not be resumed. Discussions contained in threads locked or hidden by ProZ.com staff members or moderators should not be resumed. Posts made within such threads may not be edited once a topic has been locked.

Thank you for respecting that.

As Mervyn has very well put,
As Victor has kindly pinpointed and Jabberwock has explained, it is about nothing, really. Grown adults needing a break from pressure, whatever.

Losing the thread was just a lovely piece that surely helps to let the steam off, to writer and reader alike. If others are tempted to contribute with similar posts, we can open a new thread for them. To avoid any conflict with site rules, they should be pure fiction, i.e., no reference to any currently locked thread, no links, no names - nothing that bears any serious resemblance to reality. I expect quite a lot of great humor there. Game?

Attila

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
I know, I know! Mar 11, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Small prize if you can spot the common feature shared by all those threads.

The common feature is the last post's title: Locking thread.
What did I win?

Paola

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
My last post in this thread Mar 11, 2009

I would say it depends. I can very well imagine such a contest under Off Topic, provided the fun part is dominant.

Of course, what else?

In his book "The Act of Creation", Arthur Koestler argues that the primary source of humor is aggression. This is especially true for irony and sarcasm, so if the "ProZ.com word of the year" contest is such a contest then I think it will run up against rules in no time, notably mutual respect and fair play, http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2 .

Attila: All I said is that I love Jabberwork's comment. I just love it! That's it!
Aggression? Irony? Sarcasm? Generally speaking you might have a point in there.
Did you ask yourself why this thread was started?

However, it is not fair to link aggression, irony and sarcasm with my post. Strictly speaking, what you are implying is slightly offending.

Please forget about the contest!

Béatrice Leclercq
Béatrice Leclercq  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Oh no... Mar 11, 2009

We've lost it again. The fun factor, I mean.
No value judgment intended against anyone/anything here.
Just a regretful statement (bedauernde Feststellung).

Edited for English grammar (the tenses...)

[Bearbeitet am 2009-03-11 10:52 GMT]

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Why would rule 2.2 apply here? Mar 11, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

I would say it depends. I can very well imagine such a contest under Off Topic, provided the fun part is dominant.

Of course, what else?

In his book "The Act of Creation", Arthur Koestler argues that the primary source of humor is aggression. This is especially true for irony and sarcasm, so if the "ProZ.com word of the year" contest is such a contest then I think it will run up against rules in no time, notably mutual respect and fair play, http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2 .

Attila: All I said is that I love Jabberwork's comment. I just love it! That's it!
Aggression? Irony? Sarcasm? Generally speaking you might have a point in there.
Did you ask yourself why this thread was started?

However, it is not fair to link aggression, irony and sarcasm with my post. Strictly speaking, what you are implying is slightly offending.

Please forget about the contest!

Where is there any aggression or lack of mutual respect and fair play being demonstrated in this fun discussion?

[Edited at 2009-03-11 11:02 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Needlin' thread Mar 11, 2009

[quote]Béatrice Leclercq wrote:

No, no, not necessarily.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
@ Aniello Mar 11, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

Hi Aniello,

I did not link any of them to your post (and I agree with you: it would not be fair to do so). I asked for clarification, without any a priori.

I just cited Koestler, who linked them to humor.

To give an example: "misunderestimate" could be a candidate for such a "word of the year" in another context. We do not have to stretch things very far to get to a point where someone might get offended if his/her word - used either in a prominent situation or repeatedly, or used in such a way that it leads to a chain reaction - is selected. Words can hurt. I mean that in general, and that is why I cited the site rule on mutual respect and fair play. For any of us it would be easy to find a good candidate word that would not stand up against this rule, right? But since the concept of the "word of the year" is so large, we can safely narrow it in such a way that the hurting factor can be eliminated while the fun part can still be kept. I would be looking very much forward to such a contest.

Attila

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Koestler vs Wiki Mar 11, 2009

Attila Piróth wrote:

I just cited Koestler, who linked them to humor.

Why did you (with Koestler) link aggression to humour? We might as well quote Wikipedia

Humour or humor is the tendency of particular cognitive experiences to provoke laughter and provide amusement.

Paola

Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni
Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni  Identity Verified
Albania
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Yes, Mervyn Mar 11, 2009

[quote]Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Béatrice Leclercq wrote:

No, no, not necessarily.

Hey Mervyn, yes we've lost it............again.......I just do not want to give up to this idea though....

Fabiana

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:14
English to French
+ ...
I am afraid this thread will be locked soon Mar 11, 2009

The rule on locked topics really is something, if you think about it for a second. If that rule were applied consistently, then pretty much all threads would be locked. Since this forum exists, so many threads on so many topics were locked. Take for instance threads on low rates. A few of those have been locked. According to the rule, we aren't allowed to discuss that topic anymore...

On a lighter note, I have also found something common to the threads cited by Victor: I contributed
... See more
The rule on locked topics really is something, if you think about it for a second. If that rule were applied consistently, then pretty much all threads would be locked. Since this forum exists, so many threads on so many topics were locked. Take for instance threads on low rates. A few of those have been locked. According to the rule, we aren't allowed to discuss that topic anymore...

On a lighter note, I have also found something common to the threads cited by Victor: I contributed to all three of them. Do I win? Guys, you gotta get me banned if you want to resume peaceful discussion!
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
We need to lighten up a bit - there is no reason to (k)not this thread Mar 11, 2009

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

On a lighter note, I have also found something common to the threads cited by Victor: I contributed to all three of them. Do I win? Guys, you gotta get me banned if you want to resume peaceful discussion!

Hi Viktoria. This is a fun tongue-in-cheek thread about threadlock. It's great to see colleagues able to laugh a bit about the rash of locked threads. Laughter is a great relief and more of it on the site itself wouldn't be a bad thing. Could bring things more down to earth. The site isn't under threat of nuclear attack, even it there are those who see it that way.
If a few jokes and pokes about things on the site were viewed with a more lighthearted approach (the way Attila is doing here) and not taken 100% seriously with 'administrative actions' at every turn, I think the whole atmosphere would become less hostile and more pleasant.
People who complain or make critical remarks are not necessarily 'enemies of the state' who need policing and cracking down on. Most are people who really care about the site. They been part of it for many year and are actually very devoted to it. They only make remarks perceived as 'negative' in the hopes of urging improvements. It's a pity that evil intentions are often read into what is said, when none are actually there.

[Edited at 2009-03-11 16:11 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know it's only lock 'n' poll (but I like it) Mar 11, 2009

I agree with Viktoria that this is shortly to be one dead thread, locked away in a mysterious dark box. What I notice is the morbid interest aroused - does this speak well or ill of us? Wheeling out Little Translator seems to be a waste of time in comparison.

Yours trailing behind the cortege etc.,

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Reprieve? Mar 11, 2009

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
I agree with Viktoria that this is shortly to be one dead thread,

For the record, the thread now no longer contains actual links to locked posts (merely a potted summary of how to find them from the forum list). Does that give us a reprieve, I wonder?
Perhaps the thread will actually live long enough for someone from the site staff, or perhaps a moderator, to poke fun at the rest of us. Unless Garmendia gets in first, of course!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lock up your daughters!!!!!!!! Mar 11, 2009

One, two, three o'clock, four o'clock, lock
Five, six, seven o'clock, eight o'clock, lock
Nine, ten, eleven o'clock, twelve o'clock, lock,
We're gonna lock - around - the clock tonight

So put your thick skin on and let it run,
We'll have some fun when the clock strikes one,
We're gonna lock around the clock tonight,
We're gonna lock, lock, lock 'til broad daylight,
Gonna lock, gonna lock around the clock tonight

When they've loc
... See more

So put your thick skin on and let it run,
We'll have some fun when the clock strikes one,

When they've locked up two, three and four
If the pace slows down we'll yell for more,

At padlocks five, six and seven,
It could be me, or it could be Kevin,

When it's eight, nine, ten, eleven too,
I'll be locked right out and so will you,

When the clock strikes twelve, we'll work and then
Start a-locking around the clock again,

(with thanks to Kevin, and also Bill and the Comets)
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:14
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
song Mar 11, 2009

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

This is hilarious! Bookmarked! It's as funny as the "RuleZ RuleZ RuleZ" song

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Not so much deadlock as threadlock

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »