Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:43
German to English
+ ...
Types of matches / Asian languages Mar 24, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
I know of no CAT tools that save subsegment phrases automatically. Deja Vu can insert phrases, but AFAIK only after you've manually saved the phrases.

True, but this is easy to do "on the fly" (much faster and simpler than jotting them down on a piece of paper in the bad old days).
And if you have done this (fairly) consistently on previous projects, the function "assemble from portions" is often worth its weight in gold.

If most of your matches will be section titles and headings, then odds are that any automatic phrase matching will be superceded by fuzzy matching anyway (because your segments are shorter).

Mara, that is what you will have to decide. Do you need mainly exact matches or near-misses (aka fuzzy matches) at the sentence/segment level, or do you need to have shorter phrases inserted automatically?

skyblue wrote:
How about for Asian languages?
It seems that Deja Vu is the top choice in this thread so far.
Does it work well with Korean too?

I believe so. I know that Japanese and Hebrew figured in the development, and I believe that some people work with Korean.
But for more exact information, you would need to ask Atril about that.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Metatexis Mar 24, 2007

Great tool - easy to use and very user friendly. And Trados compatible (you can export TM into Trados or txt format if the client asks you). You can also use TMs sent to you by the clent in either tmx or txt format.

[Edited at 2007-03-25 11:15]

Mara Campbell
Mara Campbell
Argentina
Local time: 23:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conclusions Mar 25, 2007

Thanks to everybody for your responses. I have come to some conclusions, so far:

* I have no idea what is the working mechanism of CAT tools!!! :S (so most of the technical differences you named did not come across to me!! I will definitely have to do some research on that. I did identify with Victor's comment on "the bad old days" where we jotted down whole phrases, because that is what I am doing currently! I feel so demode!!...
See more
Thanks to everybody for your responses. I have come to some conclusions, so far:

* I have no idea what is the working mechanism of CAT tools!!! :S (so most of the technical differences you named did not come across to me!! I will definitely have to do some research on that. I did identify with Victor's comment on "the bad old days" where we jotted down whole phrases, because that is what I am doing currently! I feel so demode!!

* I am not ready to spend money on a software I will be using every once in a while, so I will start downloading the free suggestions, OmegaT and Across and take it from there.

* Since my client does not request I use any CAT tool, I don't need it to be compatible with other memory formats. I guess this is a good thing, considering I will start by using the freeware options.

Thanks a ton for your input. Your comments and opinions were very useful.

I'll let you know which I try and how it goes.
Warm regards,
Mara
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Which CAT tool would you recommend me? Mar 25, 2007

Mara Campbell wrote:

* Since my client does not request I use any CAT tool, I don't need it to be compatible with other memory formats. I guess this is a good thing, considering I will start by using the freeware options.

You may however at some point wish to exchange memories with clients, or use another tool (in addition or instead). In this case, it would be advantageous to have stored your translation memories in a format that can be read by any other tool. OmegaT uses the industry-standard TMX format as its own translation memory format, and files in this format can be read by all the main translation memory tools.

Marc

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:43
English to French
+ ...
Compatibility between different TM formats Mar 28, 2007

Marc P wrote:

In this case, it would be advantageous to have stored your translation memories in a format that can be read by any other tool.

If you use ApSic's XBench (it is free), you will be able to import most any TM format (Wordfast, Trados, IBM, etc.), TMW, TMX, tab-delimited and so on, and then you can export it as TMX or tabbed text file, which in turn can be imported into pretty much any CAT tool.

http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:43
English to French
Correction Mar 30, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Marc P wrote:

In this case, it would be advantageous to have stored your translation memories in a format that can be read by any other tool.

If you use ApSic's XBench (it is free), you will be able to import most any TM format (Wordfast, Trados, IBM, etc.), TMW, TMX, tab-delimited and so on, and then you can export it as TMX or tabbed text file, which in turn can be imported into pretty much any CAT tool.

http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html

If am not mistaken, Apsic can not handle Trados TMs. I can handle Trados TM exports, which is quite a different thing. It's nervertheless a nice tool to have.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:43
English to French
+ ...
You are right, sylver Mar 30, 2007

I posted the info quickly and I only said Trados without specifying what kind of Trados TM I meant, and - oops! - I added TMW to the list for some obscure reason. Exported text memories work and, of course, TMX works. However, it's not such a big deal - if you have Trados, you can choose which format you want to export to, so I guess at the end of the day, as rednecks say, same difference!

I prefer to w
... See more
I posted the info quickly and I only said Trados without specifying what kind of Trados TM I meant, and - oops! - I added TMW to the list for some obscure reason. Exported text memories work and, of course, TMX works. However, it's not such a big deal - if you have Trados, you can choose which format you want to export to, so I guess at the end of the day, as rednecks say, same difference!

I prefer to work with TMX - somehow, I find that special characters and tags have less of a tendency to go amiss.

[Edited at 2007-03-30 15:19]
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:43
English to French
Red neck are ya? Mar 31, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Yup. "same same, but different".

TMW is encrypted and the encryption standard seems to change between every version. That's why I was surprised to read your post.

For practical purpose, TMX is definitely all we need.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
DejaVu or MemoQ Apr 1, 2007

Mara Campbell wrote:

Hi, everybody! I have no idea of CAT softwares because my main business is subtitles. But I have a client which has me translate books in a series. They are something like self-help books. This means that many expressions and structures are repeated within each book and among most books in the series. Can anyone recommend a CAT tool that can help me unify expressions and section titles, for example? Which is easier to master? Which is better? Is there any freeware CAT tools? Thanks for your help!! Warm regards from Argentina, Mara

My choice is of course DéjàVu. However, MemoQ2 is a good choice for free too. Version 2 is by far better as version 1 and I guess it still will be improved.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tool would you recommend me?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »