Außen- und Innenwirkung unseriöser Werbung
Thread poster: Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Katrin Hollberg
Katrin Hollberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:15
Japanese to German
+ ...
Über mein Profil bei Proz.com kann man mir schon länger keine Mails mehr schreiben... Jan 19, 2010

u.a. aufgrund unliebsamer Mails..., aber das ist natürlich auch keine Lösung für diesen Missstand. (wobei ich jetzt richtig froh bin, wenn ich so einen Screenshot sehe...) Letztlich "hilft" nur der Schritt, den Aniello gegangen ist, was gleichzeitig schade ist, aber dazu wird man dann ja praktisch gezwungen.

Diese blöde Werbung grassiert momentan wohl auf allen Seiten, die mit Google einen Werbevertrag in Art und Weise von proz.com abgeschlossen haben. Allerdings handelt es sich
... See more
u.a. aufgrund unliebsamer Mails..., aber das ist natürlich auch keine Lösung für diesen Missstand. (wobei ich jetzt richtig froh bin, wenn ich so einen Screenshot sehe...) Letztlich "hilft" nur der Schritt, den Aniello gegangen ist, was gleichzeitig schade ist, aber dazu wird man dann ja praktisch gezwungen.

Diese blöde Werbung grassiert momentan wohl auf allen Seiten, die mit Google einen Werbevertrag in Art und Weise von proz.com abgeschlossen haben. Allerdings handelt es sich hierbei m. E. um Seiten, deren Nutzung kostenfrei ist. Daher... grumpf...;-(((

[Bearbeitet am 2010-01-19 16:37 GMT]
Collapse

Franco Cappelletti (X)
Franco Cappelletti (X)
English to German
+ ...
Was passiert denn eigentlich... Jan 19, 2010

wenn man auf das Werbebanner klickt? Werden dort Diätpillen verkauft, oder sieht man gar Unanständiges?

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Im Prinzip... Jan 19, 2010

Katrin Hollberg wrote:
Diese blöde Werbung grassiert momentan wohl auf allen Seiten, die mit Google einen Werbevertrag in Art und Weise von proz.com abgeschlossen haben. Allerdings handelt es sich hierbei m. E. um Seiten, deren Nutzung kostenfrei ist. Daher... grumpf...;-(((

[Bearbeitet am 2010-01-19 16:37 GMT]

ist ProZ in seiner Nutzung auch kostenfrei.

[Edited at 2010-01-19 18:49 GMT]

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Google ads will be removed from forums Jan 19, 2010

Hello all,

First of all, let me apologize for writing my reply in English. I ask the moderators of this forum to feel free to translate my message into German if it is not clear to all.

Just to clarify this issue, as Drew explained here a year ago, Google provided filters to prevent inappropriate ads to be displayed. Also, a cookie and other processes were instituted to prevent this as well.
... See more
Hello all,

First of all, let me apologize for writing my reply in English. I ask the moderators of this forum to feel free to translate my message into German if it is not clear to all.

Just to clarify this issue, as Drew explained here a year ago, Google provided filters to prevent inappropriate ads to be displayed. Also, a cookie and other processes were instituted to prevent this as well.

However, later it was discovered that category filtering works mostly with ads in English and that some non-English ads may slip through. For this reason, and after checking other possibilities, it has been decided to remove Google ads from forums. I will let you all know once this has been done.

I appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Where else will they appear on ProZ.com? Jan 19, 2010

Lucia,
Thanks for taking the time to post.

Quite obviously, these filters, cookies and "other processes" do not work.

However, later it was discovered that category filtering works mostly with ads in English and that some non-English ads may slip through. For this reason, and after checking other possibilities, it has been decided to remove Google ads from forums.

One step in the right direction, but not a satisfactory solution: where else will we see ads that have nothing whatsoever to do with our sector?

I will let you all know once this has been done.

I appreciate your patience.

Which, as far as I'm concerned, ran out months ago. When will ProZ.com start listening to its paying members?

Regards,
Ralf

Ansgar Knirim
Ansgar Knirim  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Unbefriedigend Jan 19, 2010

One step in the right direction, but not a satisfactory solution: where else will we see ads that have nothing whatsoever to do with our sector?

Wie Ralf schon sagt, das ist ein Schritt in die richtige Richtung (man kann ja anscheinend froh sein, überhaupt eine Resonanz zu bekommen), aber die unangemessene Werbung lediglich aus den Foren zu entfernen, löst das Problem nicht im geringsten.
Schon gar nicht, wenn potenzielle Kunden nach wie vor bei einem Mailkontakt mit Schlankheitsnepp oder Schlimmerem "belohnt" werden...

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
A quick translation of Ansgar's comment... Jan 19, 2010

...for Drew's and Lucia's attention:
Ansgar Knirim wrote:

As Ralf said, this is a step in the right direction (apparently, one should be happy to see some response at all). To remove the inappropriate ads from the forums only is no solution to the problem: particularly if potential customers trying to contact members by [profile] mail are still at risk of being 'rewarded' with a weight-loss scam or worse.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Forums only? ALL areas of the site need to be cleaned up Jan 20, 2010

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
However, later it was discovered that category filtering works mostly with ads in English and that some non-English ads may slip through. For this reason, and after checking other possibilities, it has been decided to remove Google ads from forums. I will let you all know once this has been done.

Sorry, Lucia, but as you can see from the inserted screenshot at the beginning of this thread, it is not sufficient to remove the ads from the forums - all parts of the site need to be cleaned up since the ads appear in other places as well. For the sake of professionalism, please do act consistently now instead of requiring us to show "patience" again and again. (We're paying members and wish to be treated as such - one word to keep in mind in this respect: customer satisfaction.)

Steffen

P. S. Auf Deutsch: Ich habe an Lucia geschrieben, dass das Entfernen der Werbung aus den Foren nicht ausreicht, da sie auch an vielen anderen Stellen auf ProZ.com eingeblendet wird. Daher muss die gesamte Website von dieser Werbung befreit werden. Um des professionellen Anspruchs willen ist jetzt konsistentes Handeln gefragt, statt uns immer wieder um "Geduld" zu bitten. Als zahlende Mitglieder wollen wir auch entsprechend behandelt werden - Stichwort "Kundenzufriedenheit".

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Verständnisfrage Jan 20, 2010

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:
Wenn es vergleichbare Werbung in englischer Sprache gibt, würde ich die Sache auf jeden Fall auch ins englischsprachige Forum tragen, Michele. Von nichts kommt nichts.

Ich hatte es eher gemeint, damit Henry & Co. das alles verstehen können. Es nützt nicht viel, hier wochenlang unter uns zu meckern, wenn die Verantwortlichen kein Wort davon verstehen. Ralf geht in die richtige Richtung, denke ich.

Ob es vergleichbare Werbung in englischer Sprache gibt, kann ich nicht sagen, denn ich benutze seit Jahren Mozilla + Adblock Plus. Aber wenn das ein allgemeines Problem mit "category filtering" und "non-English ads" wie von Lucia beschrieben ist, meinst du nicht, das ist von Interesse für alle Users?

English translation:
[Regarding posting about this in an English forum:] I meant this more so that Henry and colleagues have a chance of understanding. It doesn't help much for us to complain amongst ourselves for weeks if those responsible can't understand a word we're saying. Ralf is on the right track here IMO.

I can't say whether there are similar ads in English because I've been using Mozilla and Adblock Plus for years now. But if it's a general problem related to category filtering and non-English ads as Lucia says, don't you think it's of interest for all users?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:15
SITE FOUNDER
Unprofessional ads are in no one's interest. But advertising is not intrinsically bad. Jan 20, 2010

Ralf Lemster wrote:

That is not quite right. The filters that Google provides do work, and have helped. They do not work perfectly, however, and this information has uncovered the fact that the filters are not as effective outside of English.

To speak for the site staff, I can say that no one wants the sort of ad featured in this thread to appear on ProZ.com. Least of all those of us on the site staff, as you can easily imagine. (Who would want "trim your belly" ads on their site for professionals?)

At the same time, it is our view that advertising as a business model is not intrinsically bad. Google itself -- a useful service, I think many here would agree -- is supported by advertising, for example. (The same ads shown here.)

At ProZ.com, the advertising model makes it possible to provide free terminology services, including KudoZ and the KudoZ term search, to over 150,000 people per day. It takes dozens of servers in two data centers, lots of bandwidth, and a full-time systems administrator to deliver that. I am proud that we have been able to do that on advertising income alone, with the result that for over 10 years, all terminology services have been completely free to use, and an archive of millions of terms in translation has been created for the use and benefit of the entire planet.

Note that when I talk about an advertising business model, I am talking about a sort of parallel "ecosystem", separate from our normal business, which as most of you know is supported by your memberships. Google ads appear only to non-logged-in visitors, and even then, only when there are no search terms or pages visited that would suggest that the visitor may be a translator or a translation client. So we try to keep the ecosystems separate.

Even so, there are benefits in the advertising model to professional translators, too. Last year's virtual conference, for example, cost about EUR 60,000 to produce. Yet we were able to offer it entirely free for translators. Sponsors paid for the cost of the technology -- thank you! -- but the cost of overseeing the conference (three months of several people's salaries) was paid by, yes, advertising.

So when it comes to advertising, I hope you will all understand the interest in not throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

The challenge, as I see it, is to rid the site of "trim your belly"-type ads, while continuing to pursue an advertising business model for non-logged-in-visitors.

Thanks to the latest filters, the overwhelming majority of Google ads shown on this site are professional and relevant. We have made adjustments that have improved the situation, even when it means significantly decreasing advertising income. We will continue to make adjustments as necessary to ensure professionalism at this site. But we are not going to give up on serving relevant, useful and professional ads, which make some very good services possible.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:15
SITE FOUNDER
Response to Steffen Jan 20, 2010

Steffen Walter wrote:
(We're paying members and wish to be treated as such - one word to keep in mind in this respect: customer satisfaction.)

I would ask for the same respect in turn, Steffen. Your characterization of the response you got to your support ticket is misleading, to say the least, and your quoting out of context is disingenuous. If you want to comment on the support ticket, the honest thing to do would have been to quote it in its entirety, and to also point out that you got a response in about 4 hours.

To suggest that this is an issue that is not of concern to site staff members is false on its face.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
All well and good, Henry, but... Jan 20, 2010

Henry D wrote:

Steffen Walter wrote:
(We're paying members and wish to be treated as such - one word to keep in mind in this respect: customer satisfaction.)

I would ask for the same respect in turn, Steffen. Your characterization of the response you got to your support ticket is misleading, to say the least, and your quoting out of context is disingenuous. If you want to comment on the support ticket, the honest thing to do would have been to quote it in its entirety, and to also point out that you got a response in about 4 hours.

To suggest that this is an issue that is not of concern to site staff members is false on its face.

... especially the last sentence in your reply does not fully correspond with the impression I got from the ticket response, but let's leave it at that. I was merely "quoting out of context" because I did not want to disclose the content of the ticket in its entirety (I assumed this to be inappropriate but may have been wrong in this regard). Also, I was not complaining at all about the response time, which I considered sufficiently short and thus appropriate.

Back on topic (i.e. the types of ads shown on ProZ.com), whilst I do see that advertising is a necessity within the ProZ.com business model, all this thread is about is how to reliably exclude unprofessional/scam ads of the type that had originally triggered this thread (in other words, only allow advertising that is in some way related to our business as translators and interpreters). Following the previous ad-related discussion last year, I'd have thought that staff was in control of what was happening on that front...

Steffen

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Thanks for taking this seriously Jan 20, 2010

Henry,
Thanks for joining the discussion.
Henry D wrote:

Ralf Lemster wrote:

That is not quite right. The filters that Google provides do work, and have helped. They do not work perfectly, however, and this information has uncovered the fact that the filters are not as effective outside of English.

As far as I can see, the problem involving Google Ads was known before, and has been discussed for some time.

To speak for the site staff, I can say that no one wants the sort of ad featured in this thread to appear on ProZ.com. Least of all those of us on the site staff, as you can easily imagine. (Who would want "trim your belly" ads on their site for professionals?)

Precisely.
But then I wonder why it take five pages of discussions, and numerous support tickets, to take action? Aren't ProZ.com staff monitoring these ads?

At the same time, it is our view that advertising as a business model is not intrinsically bad. Google itself -- a useful service, I think many here would agree -- is supported by advertising, for example. (The same ads shown here.)

I'm not so certain about Google being useful - its dominance has driven out some competitors that I found more useful.

At ProZ.com, the advertising model makes it possible to provide free terminology services, including KudoZ and the KudoZ term search, to over 150,000 people per day. It takes dozens of servers in two data centers, lots of bandwidth, and a full-time systems administrator to deliver that. I am proud that we have been able to do that on advertising income alone, with the result that for over 10 years, all terminology services have been completely free to use, and an archive of millions of terms in translation has been created for the use and benefit of the entire planet.

If that's the connection, why not keep Google Ads strictly limited to KudoZ? In this case, nobody would run the risk of having a potential customer driven away from one's profile.

Note that when I talk about an advertising business model, I am talking about a sort of parallel "ecosystem", separate from our normal business, which as most of you know is supported by your memberships. Google ads appear only to non-logged-in visitors, and even then, only when there are no search terms or pages visited that would suggest that the visitor may be a translator or a translation client. So we try to keep the ecosystems separate.

I understand the concept, but to be honest, I'm not (yet) impressed by your track record in keeping these issues separate.

Even so, there are benefits in the advertising model to professional translators, too. Last year's virtual conference, for example, cost about EUR 60,000 to produce. Yet we were able to offer it entirely free for translators. Sponsors paid for the cost of the technology -- thank you! -- but the cost of overseeing the conference (three months of several people's salaries) was paid by, yes, advertising.

So when it comes to advertising, I hope you will all understand the interest in not throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Henry, I don't mind advertising on the site - as long as it is in line with the professional image of language services providers. Ads for Ukrainian ladies and weight-loss scams are not.

The challenge, as I see it, is to rid the site of "trim your belly"-type ads, while continuing to pursue an advertising business model for non-logged-in-visitors.

Thanks to the latest filters, the overwhelming majority of Google ads shown on this site are professional and relevant. We have made adjustments that have improved the situation, even when it means significantly decreasing advertising income. We will continue to make adjustments as necessary to ensure professionalism at this site. But we are not going to give up on serving relevant, useful and professional ads, which make some very good services possible.

Just to be clear: this means ProZ.com will continue to show Google Ads
- in the forums;
- in profile searches; and
- in languages other than English.

I believe a clear explanation will help many members - myself included - decide whether or not to extend their paid membership.

Best regards,
Ralf
[Edited at 2010-01-20 17:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-01-20 17:46 GMT]

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:15
English to German
+ ...
Is it really a language problem? Jan 20, 2010

Henry D wrote:

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Steffen Walter wrote:

Back on topic (i.e. the types of ads shown on ProZ.com), whilst I do see that advertising is a necessity within the ProZ.com business model, all this thread is about is how to reliably exclude unprofessional/scam ads of the type that had originally triggered this thread (in other words, only allow advertising that is in some way related to our business as translators and interpreters).

Are you sure the Google filters would have worked for this particular ad? It is a graphic, so text filters do not apply, and it is written in something like a comic font, so even OCR mechanisms would probably fail.

For this reason I suggested that the moderators (the "other processes"?) should have an eye and a say on it, too.

Harry

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moderators keeping an eye on their communities Jan 20, 2010

Good point, Harry,

For this reason I suggested that the moderators (the "other processes"?) should have an eye and a say on it, too.

Agreed - a quick note by a moderator to site staff could have stopped this one before too many people would have noticed it.

Best,
Ralf

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Außen- und Innenwirkung unseriöser Werbung

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »