Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Off topic: What sites are you most guilty of procrastinating in?
Thread poster: Nesrin
Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:35
English to Russian
+ ...
ravelry, photosight +... May 29, 2008

Isabel Booth wrote:
I love looking at all those future projects I could be knitting in my spare (!) time...

+1, browsing through others' wonderful projects, reading forums, ...
Also photosight.ru, few recipes' sites, music...

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Facebook May 29, 2008

Nowadays I've become addicted to Friends For Sale (Facebook application). You need to enter every 4 hours to earn 2000 $ (fake of course) and instead of entering every 4 hours I just keep entering, doing some "shopping" and talking to FFS friends... terrible! I should quit but it's too hard...

Anyway... now I should be working and not writing here...

Cheers!

Giuliana d'Orazi Flavoni
Giuliana d'Orazi Flavoni
Italy
Italian to English
Amazon! May 29, 2008

Lots of sites...

facebook, wiki, various cooking sites, online games, the evening standard crossword for a quick break, (proz of course!)... and amazon! There is nothing I enjoy more than browsing through amazon and dreaming of all the books I could buy!

Great post
Giuliana

Isabel Booth
Isabel Booth  Identity Verified
Italian to English
ravelry May 29, 2008

another yarn fiend!
I'm Nellybell btw

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:35
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Tickle May 29, 2008

I enjoy a site called Tickle, full of personality quizzes, some serious, some frivolous. How self-centred can one get?
And reviews of plays, films or TV programmes I've liked (or loathed), and looking for pictures of places I love and downloading them to "My Pictures" if possible, which later form part of my screensaver.
Heigh ho, back to work.
Jenny

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:05
German to English
Computers mean work to me..... May 29, 2008

....so I tend to do most of my procrastinating offline and can't wait to get off the computer once I've finished work for the day.

I do read some online newspapers though, the Indian Express and the German news site "Die Zeit," and, of course, there's always ProZ.com.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
News sites May 29, 2008

Like Der Spiegel, Die Welt, Sueddeutsche Zeitung (German newspaper sites), the BBC, Washington Post, some Dutch newspaper sites, etcetera.

And of course, I have the great excuse that it is useful for my work - keeping my languages up to date and all that, but the truth is, I just like to read a lot.
I particularly like weird articles, like 'Cat survives being washed in the washing machine' or something like tha
... See more
Like Der Spiegel, Die Welt, Sueddeutsche Zeitung (German newspaper sites), the BBC, Washington Post, some Dutch newspaper sites, etcetera.

And of course, I have the great excuse that it is useful for my work - keeping my languages up to date and all that, but the truth is, I just like to read a lot.
I particularly like weird articles, like 'Cat survives being washed in the washing machine' or something like that.
Oh, and advice columns. I always tell my family and friends that they're especially good, because it's real people writing about current problems in modern language, but again, it's just fun to read.

Wikipedia is wonderful too.
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
ProZ, nooZ, viewZ and feedZ May 29, 2008

Like Margreet.

As a freelancer, I decide when to work and when not, as long as the daily 'bottom line' is achieved and deadlines are fulfilled.

Charlie: a daily regular - http://www.dronesclub.com/.

I simply can't wait to find out when the bally place is going to reopen, so that I can don my old Etonian spats and trickle in for a spot of something at luncht
... See more
Like Margreet.

As a freelancer, I decide when to work and when not, as long as the daily 'bottom line' is achieved and deadlines are fulfilled.

Charlie: a daily regular - http://www.dronesclub.com/.

I simply can't wait to find out when the bally place is going to reopen, so that I can don my old Etonian spats and trickle in for a spot of something at lunchtime. I suppose that I should delegate the task to my personal attendant, but I sometimes suspect that he does not approve of the establishment, for reasons best known to himself http://www.drones.com/drone-tie.html . If you hear anything, then do please be a good egg and send me a telegram. I'm working from Brinkley Court at the moment with Gussie doing my reviewing. Aunt Dahlia has had Wi-Fi installed so that she can surf for a new chef since the sad demise of the late great Anatole.

Best,
Chris

[Edited at 2008-05-29 09:24]
Collapse

Christiane Lalonde
Christiane Lalonde  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:35
English to French
Unfortunately, May 29, 2008

despite the fact I told my father NOT to send me golf players' jokes (blond women, sex, golf, cars), pps files (blond women, sex, golf, cars) and youtube video (blond women, sex, golf, cars), he just keeps doing it. Anyway, there is a good one once in a while.
See this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8KIrkuBcNY

For the rest, like Nicole said, I go on Wikipedia l
... See more
despite the fact I told my father NOT to send me golf players' jokes (blond women, sex, golf, cars), pps files (blond women, sex, golf, cars) and youtube video (blond women, sex, golf, cars), he just keeps doing it. Anyway, there is a good one once in a while.
See this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8KIrkuBcNY

For the rest, like Nicole said, I go on Wikipedia looking for something related to a translation and ends up reading about Leonard Cohen lyrics.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:35
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Self-education is important May 29, 2008

I highly recommend this highly scientific magazine:

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/news/headlines_from_tomorrow/

It has advice columns, too!

Vittorina Klingbeil (X)
Vittorina Klingbeil (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to English
+ ...
Procrastinate now - don't put it off! May 29, 2008

I admit it, I look at EVERYTHING, at most of the sites many people have already mentioned (YouTube, Wikipedia, various online newspapers), plus gossip columns (DailyMail, PerezHilton), and 5 or 6 BLOGS (does no-one else look at these? I also follow my favourite rock bands' website ramblings. And since I recently moved from South African to temporarily-Germany, I spend a lot of time investigating just about everything on the net. I still manage to work full-time (internet based), translate part-t... See more
I admit it, I look at EVERYTHING, at most of the sites many people have already mentioned (YouTube, Wikipedia, various online newspapers), plus gossip columns (DailyMail, PerezHilton), and 5 or 6 BLOGS (does no-one else look at these? I also follow my favourite rock bands' website ramblings. And since I recently moved from South African to temporarily-Germany, I spend a lot of time investigating just about everything on the net. I still manage to work full-time (internet based), translate part-time, and look after my kids and house (part-time?).

I think this the the geography game mentioned by Nesrin:
http://www.lufthansa-usa.com/useugame2007/html/play.html
I too have spent happy time playing it. At least it's educational ...
Collapse

Christine Schmit (X)
Christine Schmit (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to French
+ ...
Traveler IQ May 29, 2008

Vittorina Klingbeil wrote:

I think this the the geography game mentioned by Nesrin:
http://www.lufthansa-usa.com/useugame2007/html/play.html
I too have spent happy time playing it. At least it's educational ...

Nice one. The one mentioned by Nesrin can be found on Facebook and also on Travelpod http://www.travelpod.com/traveler-iq Warning: it's quite addictive, but at least you learn something.

Christine

[Edited at 2008-05-29 12:15]

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the addictive one May 29, 2008

Christine Schmit wrote:

Nice one. The one mentioned by Nesrin can be found on Facebook and also on Travelpod http://www.travelpod.com/traveler-iq Warning: it's quite addictive, but at least you learn something.

Christine

The Lufthansa game posted by Vittorina is nice - I just tried it - but the Travelpod is really challenging, fast-paced and addictive.

Vittorina Klingbeil (X)
Vittorina Klingbeil (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks, I've just added it to my favourites ;-) May 29, 2008

[quote]Christine Schmit wrote:

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Enjoy a free trip on Swiss railways May 29, 2008

This is a bizarre one that was sent by a neighbour who is a railway freak.

www.swisstrains.ch

Enter a station name in 'Station finder' e.g. Geneve, Zurich, Chur. Mouseover a train (one marked IC or IR which will be long distance).

A grey box appears at the top right and you will then see where it has come from and where it is going to. Single click on 'Follow' in the grey
... See more
This is a bizarre one that was sent by a neighbour who is a railway freak.

www.swisstrains.ch

Enter a station name in 'Station finder' e.g. Geneve, Zurich, Chur. Mouseover a train (one marked IC or IR which will be long distance).

A grey box appears at the top right and you will then see where it has come from and where it is going to. Single click on 'Follow' in the grey box and let it load. Click on Hybrid at the top and sit back.

Not as regular one of my sites, but it's different!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What sites are you most guilty of procrastinating in?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »