Off topic: a dream come true would be...
Thread poster: biankonera
biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:52
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Nov 13, 2006

I watched today yet again one of my all time favorite movies and thought - how nice it would be to have a possibility to translate it for a voice over or at least make subtitles for it in my TL.

The same applies to some books I really enjoy and am sincerely sad they are not translated into my native language.

So how would you finish the sentence "a dream come true would be to translate..."?
What would be your dream translation to do? What movie, book or whatever
... See more
I watched today yet again one of my all time favorite movies and thought - how nice it would be to have a possibility to translate it for a voice over or at least make subtitles for it in my TL.

The same applies to some books I really enjoy and am sincerely sad they are not translated into my native language.

So how would you finish the sentence "a dream come true would be to translate..."?
What would be your dream translation to do? What movie, book or whatever else would you enjoy translating for pleasure?

Stella
Collapse

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Hi Stella Nov 13, 2006

Does your proz ID come from a movie made in Tuscany, the name of which escapes me, starring Diane Lane and a house named Bramasole? I loved that movie!

On the subject of your thread, a dream come true for me would be to translate into english a self-help book I co-authored with a firend of mine on losing weight and the psychology involved.

I might even do that one day, when (another dream I may hopefully realize) I will be able to stop working full time and go back to
... See more
Does your proz ID come from a movie made in Tuscany, the name of which escapes me, starring Diane Lane and a house named Bramasole? I loved that movie!

On the subject of your thread, a dream come true for me would be to translate into english a self-help book I co-authored with a firend of mine on losing weight and the psychology involved.

I might even do that one day, when (another dream I may hopefully realize) I will be able to stop working full time and go back to live in my cottage on an Aegean island.

Thank you for those few moments in dreamland!!!
Collapse

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Angeliki :) Nov 13, 2006

Angeliki Papadopoulou wrote:

Ah yes, thats where it comes from indeed.:) I adore that movie - Under the Tuscan Sun (which happens to be my dream movie to translate) - and also its meaning is perfectly about me as I always yearn for the sun.:)

Mmm... a cottage on some island surrounded by crystal clear sea... suppose its daydreaming time for me:))

Stella

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 13:52
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My dream come true would be... Nov 13, 2006

to translate "The old man and the sea", "Madame Bovary", "Prozess" - well, I nearly added La divina Comedia, but then I am not that good with terzinas.

But then,

i) it's better, humanity - specifically Slovenians - did not wait for me and

ii) there's more to come: if Handke down the road gets a Nobel prize, then I'll be in the shadow of immortals (sort of) due to my early works...

[Edited at 2006-11-13 16:30]

Olga Dubeshka (X)
Olga Dubeshka (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:52
Russian to English
+ ...
Translating Fitzgerald Nov 13, 2006

From translator`s point of view a pure treat... When I read his books I could almost hear jazz on the background , and
the Golden Age is present in each centence. Well, maybe I had too much coffee that day:)
His language has something peculiar about it , almost sounding as if it rhymes and flows like a song...
Well, it almost disappears in translation. I always thought it the greatest challenge to translate it in such a way that you would get the same feeling.

... See more
From translator`s point of view a pure treat... When I read his books I could almost hear jazz on the background , and
the Golden Age is present in each centence. Well, maybe I had too much coffee that day:)
His language has something peculiar about it , almost sounding as if it rhymes and flows like a song...
Well, it almost disappears in translation. I always thought it the greatest challenge to translate it in such a way that you would get the same feeling.

And of course my all-time fav " Como Agua para Chocolate" by Laura Esquivel - the most romantic charming book in my opinion. Now that I could only find time to tackle them both !!:)
Collapse

Alfredo Tutino
Alfredo Tutino  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Henry James and Virginia Woolf and Thomas Pynchon and... Nov 13, 2006

I'd like to translate literature and only literature - but literature of course it's badly paid and moreover the truly great books have already been done - and well enough too... (and I have to admit it is a good thing, as Vito says...)

In the dim past, when I was young, I did in fact translate Virginia Woolf's "Jacob's Room" into Italian for myself (and a friend of mine) and then went on to Henry James' "The Sacred Fount" (its translation was out of print, at the time, but was re-i
... See more
I'd like to translate literature and only literature - but literature of course it's badly paid and moreover the truly great books have already been done - and well enough too... (and I have to admit it is a good thing, as Vito says...)

In the dim past, when I was young, I did in fact translate Virginia Woolf's "Jacob's Room" into Italian for myself (and a friend of mine) and then went on to Henry James' "The Sacred Fount" (its translation was out of print, at the time, but was re-issued shortly after I finished mine...). I was nursing a misplaced ambition to be a writer, and this felt like the only way to understand the way they wrote, but I got infected with a passion for translation itself...

I think I still have somewhere the typed text, with more than a few last-minute handwritten corrections... (it happened in one of the lost geological era before computers began to be used as typewriters...)

Fond memories indeed.

In later years, I have translated some short stories and novels, and been paid for it; none was really bad, and some of them were even good, but in fact they do not compare at all...

The truly great are gone, the giants are all under our dwarf asses, golden ages are all in the past, Arcadia's long lost and so forth, as everybody know :-^) - but it would still be good being asked to translate the next book that will come (hopefully) from Thomas Pynchon or Salman Rushdie, with ample time and good pay... I might even settle for Ian McEwan or Hanif Kureishi...

[Edited at 2006-11-13 20:58]

[Edited at 2006-11-13 21:27]
Collapse

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Saramago Nov 14, 2006

.....if I would ever be able to translate Saramago! Some years ago I discovered his books and I loved them. Later, I moved to Portugal and learnt Portuguese, but his books are still hard for me to read in Portuguese, so I stick to the translations...which are marvellous by the way in Dutch. My deepest respect to Maartje de Kort! If I only could...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

a dream come true would be...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »