Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you feel any brand loyalty towards your end clients' products?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 22, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you feel any brand loyalty towards your end clients' products?".

This poll was originally submitted by Marie-Hélène Hayles

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more in
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you feel any brand loyalty towards your end clients' products?".

This poll was originally submitted by Marie-Hélène Hayles

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:53
Italian to English
+ ...
Yes, to some Apr 22, 2008

I suggested this poll because I thought it would be interesting to see if what we translate has any effect on our choices as consumers, whether positive or negative. One of the original answers I suggested was "some, but I avoid others like the plague", but understandably this was edited (with my prior knowledge and agreement).

Without breaching client confidentiality, I can say that as a direct result of my translation activity I have a very high opinion indeed of one of my end cli
... See more
I suggested this poll because I thought it would be interesting to see if what we translate has any effect on our choices as consumers, whether positive or negative. One of the original answers I suggested was "some, but I avoid others like the plague", but understandably this was edited (with my prior knowledge and agreement).

Without breaching client confidentiality, I can say that as a direct result of my translation activity I have a very high opinion indeed of one of my end clients, and a pretty poor opinion of one of the others - or at least of some of their products. I'm fairly indifferent about most of the rest, although if, all else being equal, I had to choose between an end-client product and that of one of their competitors, I'd probably choose the end-client's product (keeping them in business is good for my business too, after all!).

For most of my work the answer would have to be N/A, as the end clients in question don't produce anything or provide any service to Joe Public anyway.

[Edited at 2008-04-22 13:20]
Collapse

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 00:53
Spanish to English
Isn't it natural? Apr 22, 2008

Isn't it natural to have a higher opinion of the internal processes (and thereby the resulting products) of those firms sufficiently savvy and discrimating as to use OUR services? Isn't this a positive indication for their quality standards?

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Not sure if you're being ironic... Apr 22, 2008

RichardDeegan wrote:

Isn't it natural to have a higher opinion of the internal processes (and thereby the resulting products) of those firms sufficiently savvy and discrimating as to use OUR services? Isn't this a positive indication for their quality standards?

.... I specified end clients, who probably don't know of your (or my) personal existence from Adam - they just know they're happy with the translations delivered by the agency they use.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rather big loyalty if I need that kind of product Apr 22, 2008

I think this is a very interesting question indeed.

In my case, I feel a rather big loyalty for my customer's products for two reasons (in order of importance):

1. Translating about their products, I get to know more about their qualities, the customer's environmental rules and practices, and what problems the product solves better than other options. I don't really need a harvesting machine, a bus, an electric motor or a forklift truck on a daily basis, but do use a ca
... See more
I think this is a very interesting question indeed.

In my case, I feel a rather big loyalty for my customer's products for two reasons (in order of importance):

1. Translating about their products, I get to know more about their qualities, the customer's environmental rules and practices, and what problems the product solves better than other options. I don't really need a harvesting machine, a bus, an electric motor or a forklift truck on a daily basis, but do use a car or mobile phone for instance. All of us in the office have the same brand of phones: the ones from one of our customers.

2. Because of my purchasing the products of my customers, some of my money will end up in my pocket again (yes, I admit that a nominal amount). Feeding a competitor with my money just because of minor details means helping my customer's competitor, whereas I prefer to help my customer. Also, showing the product and explaining its qualities to friends and family also helps sell more, which is good for my customer, and to some extent good for me too.

[Edited at 2008-04-22 13:39]
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:53
French to English
Quite the opposite Apr 22, 2008

RichardDeegan wrote:
Isn't this a positive indication for their quality standards?

I have a feeling that your remarks about using our services may have been a bit tongue-in-cheek, but in all seriousness, there is one end client for whom I do some work via an agency, and given the way that they insist on certain either unequivocally wrong or meaningless or misleading terminology choices, it is a miracle to me that they manage to sell anything at all outside the French-speaking world.
Indeed, I now understand exactly why my parents had such trouble with a faulty product from this company a while ago.

So I am afraid that I most definitely will not be buying anything from them, and I spread the word amongst my circle.

Great idea for a poll, too.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Certainly raises brand awareness Apr 22, 2008

And there might be a case of "better the devil you know"...

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
Spill the beans! Apr 22, 2008

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Indeed, I now understand exactly why my parents had such trouble with a faulty product from this company a while ago.

So I am afraid that I most definitely will not be buying anything from them, and I spread the word amongst my circle.

Come on, come on, tell us who it is

I thought this post had been squashed. For the record, this was just a joke!

[Edited at 2008-04-22 15:07]

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not much Apr 22, 2008

My main client is a veterinary pharmaceutical company and since there are no pets at home, I’ve not got much reason to purchase their products due to loyalty or any other reason. I’ve done human pharmaceutical translations as well and I hope I never have to use the products the studies were done for!

Two other long-time clients are museums and, although they don’t sell anything, I do make a point to take any visit
... See more
My main client is a veterinary pharmaceutical company and since there are no pets at home, I’ve not got much reason to purchase their products due to loyalty or any other reason. I’ve done human pharmaceutical translations as well and I hope I never have to use the products the studies were done for!

Two other long-time clients are museums and, although they don’t sell anything, I do make a point to take any visitors I receive to visit those two sites. I suppose pride in our work creates a sort of loyalty to the company, organisation, etc that publishes or makes our work public.

Nice question Marie-Hélène!
Collapse

Jenni Jelse
Jenni Jelse  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Good question Apr 22, 2008

I translate a lot of marketing texts in IT, and I suppose that could very well have an influence on me. On the other hand my end clients are so varied that I have done translations for most companies in your standard computer and electronics shop. On a few occasions I have bought and downloaded applications online after translating about them. That has usually worked out well.

Also, I do lots of EU work and was a trainee there for a while some years ago, and I think that has certain
... See more
I translate a lot of marketing texts in IT, and I suppose that could very well have an influence on me. On the other hand my end clients are so varied that I have done translations for most companies in your standard computer and electronics shop. On a few occasions I have bought and downloaded applications online after translating about them. That has usually worked out well.

Also, I do lots of EU work and was a trainee there for a while some years ago, and I think that has certainly made me more positive about the union. Though they are not really selling anything as such!

I agree with the comments above that the way the client seems to approach translation is quite important, as if they seem sloppy or uninterested in getting good results it might make you wonder about the company as a whole...
Collapse

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 00:53
Spanish to English
Not tongue in cheek Apr 22, 2008

I was not being a bit tingue-in-cheek. I have done work for many companies, both directly and indirectly, and this gives me insight into their processes, thinking and even clarity of thinking. I would definitely give an edge to those producing products I use.
I also receive inquiries from overseas to recommend local professionals to serve in different areas (which I do based on what I've learned of their professionalism from my work), for which I rate those idiots who insist upon "anonym
... See more
I was not being a bit tingue-in-cheek. I have done work for many companies, both directly and indirectly, and this gives me insight into their processes, thinking and even clarity of thinking. I would definitely give an edge to those producing products I use.
I also receive inquiries from overseas to recommend local professionals to serve in different areas (which I do based on what I've learned of their professionalism from my work), for which I rate those idiots who insist upon "anonymous society" (one of the most "prestigious" law firms in Peru) quite low indeed.
To me it's very much like an anomymous extension of "networking".
Collapse

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes, but the process for me is reversed! Apr 22, 2008

Your post asks whether translations for an end client sway us into developing brand loyalty.

For me, as most of my work is in corporate communications, marketing and CSR (translations as well as copywriting), I need to feel an affinity with the end client (actually, direct client) and the products or services. Folks tend to write better when they know, believe in and like what they are writing about!

So at least budding brand loyalty is a pre-requisite to my accept
... See more
Your post asks whether translations for an end client sway us into developing brand loyalty.

For me, as most of my work is in corporate communications, marketing and CSR (translations as well as copywriting), I need to feel an affinity with the end client (actually, direct client) and the products or services. Folks tend to write better when they know, believe in and like what they are writing about!

So at least budding brand loyalty is a pre-requisite to my accepting a project, and, of course, the more I get to know a company and work with them over a long period, the more I feel that sense of collaboration that is rewarding.

Cheers,

Patricia
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Very much so Apr 22, 2008

I just wish I could afford to uncork them more often!

Cin cin,

Giles

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:53
Member (2008)
French to English
no Apr 22, 2008

I actually translated some animal research in cosmetics many years ago, now I pretty much by certified cruelty free. Although I did just translate a patent for a very clever invention. It was written by the inventors, and probably had some flaws - don't know why the client needed the patent, but I am rooting for the inventors if there is any dispute, so I can buy their thingies.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
What products? Apr 23, 2008

Virtually no clients of mine produce any products that would be on the market for me to buy. I do have a client whose service I did use for many years before they became my client, which I no longer need, but I always told them how satisfied I was with them, and now they are equally as satisfied with me.

I have another client whose stock I had thought about buying but not seriously, and I am glad I did not, because they are now in bankruptcy. However, they continue to pay me; so far
... See more
Virtually no clients of mine produce any products that would be on the market for me to buy. I do have a client whose service I did use for many years before they became my client, which I no longer need, but I always told them how satisfied I was with them, and now they are equally as satisfied with me.

I have another client whose stock I had thought about buying but not seriously, and I am glad I did not, because they are now in bankruptcy. However, they continue to pay me; so far, so good.

And I remember that patent I translated one time for a fellow who had invented a female condom. After that, I came up with a tagline for his advertising campaign:

"Strap on the inner tube, honey, here I come."

No, I didn't buy that one either!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you feel any brand loyalty towards your end clients' products?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »