Help: Error in Trados with Vista ("End of paragraph not found")
Thread poster: Rocio Tsuyu
Rocio Tsuyu
Rocio Tsuyu  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 1, 2008

Hello everybody, I am new in proz.com:) I would like to know if any of you can help me with Trados and Vista, since everytime I try to open a sentence in a Word document in Translator Workbench appears the following error: "End of paragraph not found", and I have no idea why, since I have the Hidden Characters visible and I can see the end of the paragraph mark.

Please, could anyone tell me how to solve this problem, I need to translate this Word document and I've tried already eve
... See more
Hello everybody, I am new in proz.com:) I would like to know if any of you can help me with Trados and Vista, since everytime I try to open a sentence in a Word document in Translator Workbench appears the following error: "End of paragraph not found", and I have no idea why, since I have the Hidden Characters visible and I can see the end of the paragraph mark.

Please, could anyone tell me how to solve this problem, I need to translate this Word document and I've tried already everything!

Many thanks in advance!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-09-01 11:16]
Collapse

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Leave it Sep 1, 2008

If it's possible, don't translate that sentence in Trados, just leave it and translate it manually after the cleanup. Sometimes "Fix document" option can solve that problem, but usually it doesn't help at all. I saw such errors under XP as well, so think it's not OS related, as the topic name maybe suggests.

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:47
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Try adding an extra paragraph mark Sep 1, 2008

By pressing the Enter key. Is the text in a table? Does the same thing happen with other documents?

Mari Noller
Mari Noller
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:47
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Try to... Sep 1, 2008

This normally happens because there's a picture in the text (or a different kind of object).
One way of fixing it is to analyse the file and export all unknown segments (match rate 99% unknown) to a new .rtf file.
You could also simply copy and paste the text into a new Word file, selecting Paste special and "Unformatted text".

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Try this... Sep 1, 2008

Hello Rocio,

Please try the following:

1. Run the "Fix Document" command from the Trados menu in Word.

2. If the document contains Table of Content or Index fields follow then please read the following article from the SDL knowledge base and follow the instructions:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1563&p=1

... See more
Hello Rocio,

Please try the following:

1. Run the "Fix Document" command from the Trados menu in Word.

2. If the document contains Table of Content or Index fields follow then please read the following article from the SDL knowledge base and follow the instructions:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1563&p=1

3. Check the document for unrecognized tracked changes as instructed the following article:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2152&p=1

4. Click on Show/Hide button in Word's toolbar to make all hidden characters visible. Look at the sentence that produces the error and see if there is a double-dotted line that immediately follows the last word of the sentence. This is the Section Break indicator. It must always be separated from the paragraph by a New Line character, otherwise the end of the paragraph will not be found.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
An extra paragraph mark Sep 1, 2008

Spiros Doikas wrote:
By pressing the Enter key. Is the text in a table? Does the same thing happen with other documents?

Indeed. The solution in most instances of this situation.

Rocio Tsuyu
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem is not so easy to solve:( Sep 6, 2008

First of all, thanks averybody for the answers. The thing is not only that I cannot open one sentence, the problem is that in Vista neither of the Trados commands work, since it said something about the macros. I want to desinstallate the program and install it again to see what happens, I will tell you if so it works, hopefully it does!!

Kind regards for everybody:)

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 00:47
English to Greek
+ ...
Agree with... Sep 6, 2008

... Spiros' advice. Works most of the times.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Therein lies the problem... Sep 6, 2008

...you're probably using incompatible software - you should have supplied those details earlier and received (probably) a clearer answer sooner.

Which OS do you use?

Which version of Word are you using?

And which version of Trados are you using?

First of all, thanks averybody for the answers. The thing is not only that I cannot open one sentence, the problem is that in Vista neither of the Trados commands work, since it said something about the macros.

"..neither of the Trados commands works..." implies there are only TWO commands (droll). You should have more than that - a whole toolbar full of them!!

Rocio Tsuyu
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Information about versions Sep 9, 2008

Well, I have Windows Vista, Microssoft Office 2007 and SDL Trados 2007, does this help? Hopefully it is, thanks:)

Javier Díaz
Javier Díaz  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hello Nov 25, 2009

Hello Rocio.
Did you find a solution to your problem? The same thing is happening to me, and I haven´t found a solution yet.

Rocio Tsuyu
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I know the problem Nov 25, 2009

Hi Javie, at the end was a problem of support, since for Trados 2007 you need Office 2007 or above and for Trados 7 you need Office 2003, but it doesn't have anything to do with the operating system (it doesn't matter XP or Vista). So depending on the Office version you have you need one version of Trados or the other.

I hope this is your problem as well and you can solve it:)

Regards.

Jim Shanks
Jim Shanks
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
Macro's disabled in Word? Nov 29, 2009

Rocio Tsuyu wrote:

First of all, thanks averybody for the answers. The thing is not only that I cannot open one sentence, the problem is that in Vista neither of the Trados commands work, since it said something about the macros. I want to desinstallate the program and install it again to see what happens, I will tell you if so it works, hopefully it does!!

Kind regards for everybody:)

As you do not give a very clear definition of the problem it is very difficult to help you. What exactly did it say about macros? Probably that they are disabled for security reasons. Please let us know exactly what the error message is and perhaps we can help you then.

Jim

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not quite Nov 29, 2009

Rocio Tsuyu wrote:

Hi Javie, at the end was a problem of support, since for Trados 2007 you need Office 2007 or above and for Trados 7 you need Office 2003, but it doesn't have anything to do with the operating system (it doesn't matter XP or Vista). So depending on the Office version you have you need one version of Trados or the other.

I hope this is your problem as well and you can solve it:)

Regards.

Just to avoid confusion:

Trados 2007 works both with Office 2007 and 2003

Trados 2006 and earlier only works with Office 2003, XP, and 2000

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: Error in Trados with Vista ("End of paragraph not found")

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »