Need help with activating and sdl termbases and activating Translation Memory in Trados 2011
Autor wątku: Roger Marshall
Roger Marshall
Roger Marshall  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Local time: 00:45
kataloński > angielski
+ ...
Aug 26, 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm afraid I'm a novice with Trados 2011, which I have just bought. I don't seem to be able to get the TM to record and provide terms that I have already introduced. Nor have I been able to access as resources any of the termbases that I have downloaded from the translationzone. The files are apparently incompatible. I'm using the software but without any of these time-saving features that supposedly make it so wonderful ... and so expensive!

I'd appreciate
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm afraid I'm a novice with Trados 2011, which I have just bought. I don't seem to be able to get the TM to record and provide terms that I have already introduced. Nor have I been able to access as resources any of the termbases that I have downloaded from the translationzone. The files are apparently incompatible. I'm using the software but without any of these time-saving features that supposedly make it so wonderful ... and so expensive!

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.
Collapse

Maria Popova
Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Bułgaria
Local time: 01:45
Członek ProZ.com
od 2011

niemiecki > bułgarski
Multiterm 2011+Studio 2011 Aug 27, 2012

Dear Roger,

If you have bought SDL Studio 2011 SP2 then you have to download also Multiterm 2011 which is to be found on the Download Section on your SDL Account. Multiterm is automatically activated at the moment you activate your SDL Studio 2011 license. You then can handle terms during your translation session with Studio 2011 as Multiterm creates and uses terms (Termbases) in comparison with Studio which creates and uses Translation memories (TM).

Cheers,

... See more
Dear Roger,

If you have bought SDL Studio 2011 SP2 then you have to download also Multiterm 2011 which is to be found on the Download Section on your SDL Account. Multiterm is automatically activated at the moment you activate your SDL Studio 2011 license. You then can handle terms during your translation session with Studio 2011 as Multiterm creates and uses terms (Termbases) in comparison with Studio which creates and uses Translation memories (TM).

Cheers,

Maria
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Meksyk
Local time: 15:45
Członek ProZ.com
od 2002

angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
A few steps will help Aug 27, 2012

Hi Roger,

Maybe you'll find this useful:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.mx/2011/08/how-to-create-multiterm-termbase-to-use.html

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Local time: 00:45
Członek ProZ.com
od 2004

hiszpański > angielski
Just to clarify Aug 28, 2012

I think you may be mixing up your terms here.

TM (Translation Memory) File extension: .sdltm
All segments that are translated in Studio get saved in a TM that you attach to your translation project. It starts empty and gradually grows. You may also be sent a TM by a client for reference.

TB (Termbase) File extension: .sdltb
A glossary with individual terms (one or more words) in source and target languages. These can be created in Excel and converted into a
... See more
I think you may be mixing up your terms here.

TM (Translation Memory) File extension: .sdltm
All segments that are translated in Studio get saved in a TM that you attach to your translation project. It starts empty and gradually grows. You may also be sent a TM by a client for reference.

TB (Termbase) File extension: .sdltb
A glossary with individual terms (one or more words) in source and target languages. These can be created in Excel and converted into a Studio termbase or created from scratch (See Nora's excellent videos on this subject in the link above). You can also add new terms on the fly to a termbase while you are translating in Studio.

Autosuggest. File extension:.bpm
Studio can create dictionaries from your own TMs (minimum 25000 units required), so that when you start writing a word Studio will offer you the whole word to save you time as you type. Apart from creating your own A/S dictionaries, some are available for download on the SDL website.

If you're getting messages about incompatibility, the chances are you're trying to add the wrong sort of resource as a TM or a TB.

I suggest you read the Quick Start guide that comes installed with Studio. Windows start button>all programmes>SDL>SDL Trados Studio 2011>Documentation>quickstart guides>translating and reviewing.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help with activating and sdl termbases and activating Translation Memory in Trados 2011

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »