Thread poster: Edward Potter

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:01
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 13, 2004

I get about 20-30 virus emails every day. (Norton Antivirus is usually perfect in zapping them.) This volume of virus emails has only been happening to me for about 1-2 months ever since a couple of high-profile viruses were unleashed.

Is anyone else out there experiencing something similar?

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same here... May 13, 2004

Hi Edward,
We observe the same phenomenon. If I'm not mistaken, the "wave" started with the NetSky worm.

Best regards, Ralf

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
same here May 13, 2004

Plenty of those little creeps over here as well.
You're not alone.

Good luck,

Evert

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Same here.. May 13, 2004

Hi Edward,

Yes, last month an average of ten infected mails a day. This month "only" a couple every second day.. an improvementicon_biggrin.gif so far.

All started on NetSky day 1...

Giuliana

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:01
Member (2004)
English to Italian
not the same here... May 13, 2004

my ISP screens all e-mail for spam and viruses and I never, ever, get any...icon_wink.gif

Giovanni

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
mee too May 13, 2004

I have the same, on all the mailboxes I place in the "From:" field of my own messages. I also get many junk email message without any content nor viruses.

I cannot even count how many viruses try to reach my PC, because I have set up various different systems to stop/filter/delete/disinfect them.

On the other side I do not have a single virus nor spam on the emails that I am not using yet (not very useful though!).

I have an email reserved for subscribing to public fora (other than proz), enquiries, subscriptions, registering etc. I expected this mailbox to get inundated by spam and viruses. Interestingly enough I am getting almost none there!

Luca

[Edited at 2004-05-13 18:41]

Lesley Clayton
France
French to English
+ ...
Same here May 13, 2004

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

Hi Edward,

Yes, last month an average of ten infected mails a day. This month "only" a couple every second day.. an improvementicon_biggrin.gif so far.

All started on NetSky day 1...

Giuliana

Not so many viruses this month and Norton is not updating quite so often.

Loads of spam, though - some of it trying to sell me anti-spamware!

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Its the superfluous mail that counts May 14, 2004

I never worry about viruses, because I do not open these attachments, but every time a message arrives I look if it is something important. Mostly its not, only spam.
When I switched to using Thunderbird I was happy that the program put all spam into the junk-folder, but then my virus protection software deleted the junkk folder for some unknown reason.
I hope the mail providers will soon start to filter better, otherwise I'll have to change my address. Hate the idea.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virus - comparing notes

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search