Off topic: That's what you get from crowdsourcing... :-)
Thread poster: Nesrin
Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:08
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jul 30, 2010

...the translation of Facebook:

Happy bitchday from Facebook

Yesterday my colleague Pablo Teijeira, who is based in our Madrid office, logged into Facebook as normal and was confronted with a rather unusual message in place of the usual reminder of whose birthday it was today:

Rather than "Hoy es cumple de" ("Today is the birthday of") the Spanish language version of Facebook was saying "f*ck you bitches". Charming.

Pablo dropped me a line, wondering if I knew if Facebook had been hacked or if there was some other sinister explanation.

Well, the good news is that it wasn't malware and it was more done as a prank than with malicious intent. Facebook has relied upon volunteers to translate its site, and if enough people vote for an incorrect translation it can automatically replace the legitimate wording.

It's all very well harnessing the power of the net to get your website translated, but maybe Facebook should put a few more checks in place before the system is abused again in future - perhaps with more malicious intentions.

By the way, the Turkish translation version of Facebook was also abused in a similar way changing messages such as

to

Your message could not be sent because of your tiny penis

http://www.sophos.com/blogs/gc/g/2010/07/30/happy-bitchday-facebook/

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Crowdsourcing versus individualsourcing Jul 30, 2010

Nesrin wrote:
Facebook has relied upon volunteers to translate its site, and if enough people vote for an incorrect translation it can automatically replace the legitimate wording.

It would take several (or several hundreds of) users to pull off such a prank, but if they had done individualsourcing instead of crowdsourcing, it would have taken only two users to pull off the prank.

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
a point to ponder Jul 30, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

It would take several (or several hundreds of) users to pull off such a prank, but if they had done individualsourcing instead of crowdsourcing, it would have taken only two users to pull off the prank.

Which raises the question, "How many crowdsourcers does it take to change a light bulb?"

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Accountability.. Jul 30, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Nesrin wrote:
Facebook has relied upon volunteers to translate its site, and if enough people vote for an incorrect translation it can automatically replace the legitimate wording.

With the one drawback, Samuel, that individualsourcing brings up the issue of accountability for such serious pranks, whereas crowdsourced pranks are anonymous and thus completely safe.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
How many crowdsourcers does it take to change a light bulb? Jul 30, 2010

It depends what they're trying to change it to. It would take fewer to change it to "dark bulb" than to change it to "nuclear power station".

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
The mischief of crowds Jul 30, 2010

I would think the tale of the Christmas No. 1 single in the UK last year would be ample demonstration that "the crowd" is more than willing and able to be mischievous.
Personally, I think it is utterly splendid.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Out of touch Jul 30, 2010

@Charlie

Could you fill us in on that hit single reference? It's a while since I followed the UK charts (35 years perhaps).

btw I also think this is splendid - almost moved to say "I'm lovin' it"...

Noni

[Edited at 2010-07-30 12:03 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
OK then, I'll do what you tell me. Jul 30, 2010

aceavila - Noni wrote:

Could you fill us in on that hit single reference? It's a while since I followed the UK charts (35 years perhaps).

Likewise, I doubt I could name five number singles over the last 20-25 years.
But here's one article of many:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8423340.stm
Google RATM christmas and you'll have more info than you could possible want
Warning: the song in question does contain swearing which was, in terms of the message contained therein, largely why it was picked.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Charlie Jul 30, 2010

I'm taking my time reading the article and listening to the links - the language is making me wince - not the so-called bad language, but the "I'm good"s and "I'm gutted"s... those 35 years are taking their toll on my language tolerance!

Cheers, Noni

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Crowdsourcing Jul 30, 2010

There was a great article in the Translation Journal about this:

http://accurapid.com/journal/52crowd.htm

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:08
English to Chinese
+ ...
My personal experience Jul 31, 2010

When I was running my GT4T ads on facebook, I noticed the page title "facebook|editing ad" was translated into "facebook|I am a stupid egg."

Ade Indarta
Ade Indarta  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 13:08
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
Proof that the crowds are not always wise Aug 3, 2010

Especially when the crowds are pranksters.

Ade

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
How many phychologists ... Aug 3, 2010

Jack Doughty wrote:

It depends what they're trying to change it to. It would take fewer to change it to "dark bulb" than to change it to "nuclear power station".

It also depends on whether the light bulb really WANTS to be changed.
Jenny

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

That's what you get from crowdsourcing... :-)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »