Maria Luisa Duarte  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 12, 2004

Hi all,

Tomorrow is Friday the 13th and,
Friday the 13th is considered by many to be a day of bad luck. The name given to the fear of of Friday the 13th is paraskavedekatriaphobia.
It originates from the Greek words paraskevi, Friday, and dekatria, thirteen, with the suffix -phobia tacked on for the fear factor.

Superstitions? Do you walk under ladders? What are some of the superstitions in your country?

Wedding Superstition in Spain:
If a groom's friend cuts a piece of the groom's tie, he'll get married soon. ...

All the best from Bilbao!

Maria Luisa Duarte

Direct link Reply with quote

Javier Herrera
Spanish
Tuesday in Spain Aug 12, 2004

Hi Maria Luisa,
Interesting off-topic. It's not that tomorrow is Tuesday in Spain. What I mean is that what is bad luck in Spain is Tuesday 13th and not Friaday, as you know.
Talking of phobias, I'd also heard superstition against number thirteen called triskaidekaphobia. If you ever go to the Science Museum in London, you'll see a section about phobias (that's where I learned about no.13). I was amazed at how many different, unimaginable kinds of phobias there are: of dust, of the colour purple... many are picturesque and easy to dissimulate, unlike the classical claustrophobia, arachnophobia and so on.
Back to the topic, superstition. In Spanish weddings the bride turns her back on her group of friends and throws her bouquet at them. The one who grabs it will be next to marry.
Cheers.

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:22
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why I'm not superstitious... Aug 12, 2004

[quote]Javier Herrera wrote:

Back to the topic, superstition.

I am not superstitious because I've been told it brings you bad luck!!

[Edited at 2004-08-12 17:53]

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:22
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
I don't believe it, touch wood Aug 12, 2004

Well, I hope there's nothing in it, because I have a dental appointment today.

(Later) It was lucky for me, no dentistry required!

[Edited at 2004-08-13 11:30]

xxxsarahl
Local time: 08:22
English to French
+ ...
no 13th floors in Vegas hotels Aug 13, 2004

As you probably know, gamblers are a superstitious lot.
Well no hotel in Vegas has a 13th floor, you go straight from
12 to 14!
Neither do St Louis buildings, incidentally, as East St Louis,
Illinois is a gambling town. They don't have 14th floors either,
they just find a way to stop at 12.

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 11:22
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Not too many 13th floors around here either Aug 13, 2004

But I didn't know east Illinois was a gambler's paradise... you learn something new everyday.
I expect I would still prefer to go to Vegas, because while everyone else is stuck in windowless buildings wasting their money I would be out enjoying the desert climate (something I've yet to do, it's on my list)

We, too, have the bride throwing her bouquet. When I threw mine it hit the ceiling first before landing on my sister-in-law. that was 7 years ago and she's still not married well, common-law but others around her beat her to that despite not catching the bouquet. Only one other woman there has married since my wedding, but she remarried her same husband, guess that doesn't count

The question begs: on Friday the 13th, do I risk my life driving through Montreal in driving rain???

Nancy

[Edited at 2004-11-28 23:32]

Elizabeth Sumner
Local time: 16:22
Russian to English
+ ...
It's everyone else's superstitions that bring bad luck! Aug 25, 2004

Some Russian friends assure me that it's bad luck to leave empty bottles on the table. They also insist on leaving it a decent while before picking up anything they drop/knock over (also unlucky).

I'm not superstitious since despite all the empty bottles on their floor, I still ended up with a broken ankle after their last party!

Elizabeth Sumner
elizabeth@polaris-translation.co.uk

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 11:22
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

It's only bad luck when there are no full ones to replace them! Aug 25, 2004

Elizabeth Sumner wrote:
Some Russian friends assure me that it's bad luck to leave empty bottles on the table.
Elizabeth Sumner
elizabeth@polaris-translation.co.uk[/quote]

ACEIT
Local time: 10:22
English to Chinese
+ ...
Missing fourth floor Sep 6, 2004

In Chinese and Japanese (not sure about Korean) the pronounciation of the number "4" sounds similar to the word "death", therefore some of the buildings don't have fourth floors. The fifth floor comes after the third floor. This practice is very rare nowadays but can still be found in some of the older buildings.

Gisela Herrera  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:22
Spanish
+ ...
hot trick Oct 3, 2004

There's a superttion in argentina that if you lock yourself in a bathroom, light some candles and say three times "maria la sangrienta" in front of the mirror she appears in the mirror.

Krokodil
Germany
Local time: 17:22
German to English
+ ...
Maria la sangrienta Oct 5, 2004

giselasan wrote:

There's a superttion in argentina that if you lock yourself in a bathroom, light some candles and say three times "maria la sangrienta" in front of the mirror she appears in the mirror.

Have you ever tried it?

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Login problem investigation Nov 28, 2004

giselasan wrote:

The posting quoted above is OK, but the member giselasan claims that she did not post it. I guess there was a confusion on a shared machine (user 1 does not log-out, next user goes into ProZ and without realizing it operates as user 1, has happened before).

Out of curiosity, I would be glad to know who posted this material and if it was done on a shared machine.

Thanks,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Superstitions

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search