Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 06:21
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Beer and sausages: a perfect match Oct 9, 2020

"Forewarned is forearmed". You never know what is going to happen when you leave home, so it is better to be well prepared!
Also, beer and sausages have benefits.
They can help lowering your cholesterol and weight according to this diet doctor:
https://www.yourdoctorsorders.com/2018/10/beer-and-sausage/

P.L.F. Persio

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:21
English to German
+ ...
Beurck Oct 10, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... that in Germany, instant pea soup was already manufactured in 1889?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pea_soup#/media/File:Erbswurst-1.jpg

Does it say on the packaging, which seems to have been souped up since 1889, how many Erbsenzähler (literally: pea counters, meaning: nitpickers) hours go into one litre?

would spoil that soup. And it is a soup, although the product is designated as "Erbswurst" (= pea sausage): Don´t try it sliced on Sandwiches! I hope, this post is frivo-lousy enough and not off-topic.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-10-08 13:31 GMT]

I used to hate hate hate hate it!!!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Really? Oct 10, 2020

Philippe Etienne wrote:
OH certainly means other half.

Oh, really?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
MMMM Oct 10, 2020

Mmmm pea sausage.

P.L.F. Persio

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Toast Oct 10, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Don´t try it sliced on Sandwiches!

Has anyone tried it on toast with Marmite, optionally washed down with a pint of Guinness Draught? The sharp taste of Marmite might complement the milder soup taste, the bread adding a bit of substance. Who knows if the presentation – a unique combination of the German and British cuisines and Irish brewing tradition – would be a visual explosion of colours and contrast?

(I think I know what my daughter would say; whenever I take out what used to be a jar of Marmite but is now a plastic tub – sort of 'SmartMite' for postal delivery – this odd, visceral expression of disgust materialises on her face; she clearly doesn't appreciate the culinary virtues of Marmite.)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Marmite Oct 10, 2020

Every language claims to have at least one word that cannot be adequately expressed in any other language.

The Swedes have lagom. The Danes have hygge. The Welsh have hiraeth. The Norwegians have oljefonden.

Is Marmite the English equivalent?

To be like Marmite. People either love you or hate you. But chances are they think you’re a ****.

OK, it’s not the greatest word in the English language. That one indisputably begins with f and ends in
... See more
Every language claims to have at least one word that cannot be adequately expressed in any other language.

The Swedes have lagom. The Danes have hygge. The Welsh have hiraeth. The Norwegians have oljefonden.

Is Marmite the English equivalent?

To be like Marmite. People either love you or hate you. But chances are they think you’re a ****.

OK, it’s not the greatest word in the English language. That one indisputably begins with f and ends in ucking (what else, other than no underwear, goes well with literally anything?).

But like man up (sadly now only acceptable when used in a post-ironic kinda way), like Marmite filled a gap nobody knew was there.

But can something so binary and, well, colonial survive in the modern world?
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Disgust Oct 10, 2020

I'm familiar with that look on Thomas' daughter's face. The Basques would do all but retch even watching it being lavishly spread on a piece of toast after a trip to the Isles. I can buy it here too, but for some reason it would never occur to me to do so. Having said that, I buy Colman's mustard here. Forget that watery brown-yellow Dijon mess.

Turning to Tom, embracing the full spirit of your thread, I simply cannot stop myself pointing out that "Oh, really?" would be OR.

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Marmites, sausages and beer Oct 10, 2020

Thank you all for the sausages and beer!
For diner, I will use these ingredients and prepare a typical dish:

descarregar

If you want to try, you can find a good number of recipes on the Web, but we have our own secret:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/213143/recipe/francesinha

I agree, I don't like Dijon mustard... it's very spicy.

[Edited at 2020-10-10 15:16 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Francesinha Oct 10, 2020

Looks very tasty, but beware: the description says it all:

Belly busting and described as a 'heart attack on a plate' ...

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's lighter Oct 10, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Looks very tasty, but beware: the description says it all:

Belly busting and described as a 'heart attack on a plate' ...

I follow my recipe.

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Oh FFS Oct 11, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Turning to Tom, embracing the full spirit of your thread, I simply cannot stop myself pointing out that "Oh, really?" would be OR.

Yes but OH would be Oh.

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Oct 11, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Don´t try it sliced on Sandwiches!

Has anyone tried it on toast with Marmite, optionally washed down with a pint of Guinness Draught? The sharp taste of Marmite might complement the milder soup taste, the bread adding a bit of substance. Who knows if the presentation – a unique combination of the German and British cuisines and Irish brewing tradition – would be a visual explosion of colours and contrast?

(I think I know what my daughter would say; whenever I take out what used to be a jar of Marmite but is now a plastic tub – sort of 'SmartMite' for postal delivery – this odd, visceral expression of disgust materialises on her face; she clearly doesn't appreciate the culinary virtues of Marmite.)

Sorry Thomas but you can't have Guinness and toast at the same time of day. Toast is for breakfast in the morning, and Guiness is for evenings. So the pairing you suggest is an abomination - a logistical and organisational impossibility.

[Edited at 2020-10-11 15:56 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
OFFS Oct 11, 2020

Spot on, Tom!

[Edited at 2020-10-11 15:57 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Frivolous toast Oct 11, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Sorry Thomas but you can't have Guinness and toast at the same time of day. Toast is for breakfast in the morning, and Guiness [sic] is for evenings. So the pairing you suggest is an abomination - a logistical and organisational impossibility.

Sounds about right for a 'completely frivolous thread'. 😁

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Guinness toast Oct 11, 2020

You can toast with Guinness as well as wine or whatever, can't you? Good health!

[Edited at 2020-10-11 16:30 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »