Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:04
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Did you know ... Oct 8, 2020

... that in Germany, instant pea soup was already manufactured in 1889?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pea_soup#/media/File:Erbswurst-1.jpg

expressisverbis
Elena Feriani
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Philippe Etienne
P.L.F. Persio

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Cat dog Oct 8, 2020

Our cat died yesterday, but our dog didn't.

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Philippe Etienne
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
A fine vintage Oct 8, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

A bit foosty by now, but still tastes wunderbar.

Matthias Brombach
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Angela B
P.L.F. Persio

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:04
Danish to English
+ ...
Erbsenzähler Oct 8, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Does it say on the packaging, which seems to have been souped up since 1889, how many Erbsenzähler (literally: pea counters, meaning: nitpickers) hours go into one litre?

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I hope everyone is doing well today! Oct 8, 2020

Ayşe Kıvılcım Karazor wrote:

I woke up early in the morning and tried to work but the server was down. I was very worried again then I read your message:) I feel better now^^.

I am glad, Ayşe
We all have a bad day now and then.
We just need to remember nice memories from our childhood, enjoy a few caramel candies like Werther's Original, buying a couple of fighting cockerels to nag your unpleasant neighbours rather than shooting at them (or drugging or poisoning them ), prepare an instant pea soup, adopt a pet... or bear in mind that life is simply too short.
By reading these lines, I feel this thread is not so "completely frivolous" as it seems.
I hope everyone is doing well today!

[Edited at 2020-10-08 11:35 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Sabrina Bruna
Joanna Posylek
Ayşe Kıvılcım Karazor
P.L.F. Persio

Cmilja Milosevic
Cmilja Milosevic  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Serbian
+ ...
WOW! Oct 8, 2020

Wow!

Max Jeremiah
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Too many pea counters ... Oct 8, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Does it say on the packaging, which seems to have been souped up since 1889, how many Erbsenzähler (literally: pea counters, meaning: nitpickers) hours go into one litre?

would spoil that soup. And it is a soup, although the product is designated as "Erbswurst" (= pea sausage): Don´t try it sliced on Sandwiches! I hope, this post is frivo-lousy enough and not off-topic.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-10-08 13:31 GMT]

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:04
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Open your eyes. Oct 8, 2020

There's no such thing as a "croissant": it's just old rolled pizza from the day before that the bakery wants to trick you into buying as a new product.

The more you know it.

expressisverbis
Philippe Etienne
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
P.L.F. Persio

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 07:04
Member (2011)
English to German
My heartfelt condolences Oct 8, 2020

Oliver Pekelharing wrote:

Our cat died yesterday, but our dog didn't.

I didn't know the cat, but I would like to express my heartfelt condolences to the dog's family and loved ones.

Sincerely,
Marina Steinbach

Thomas T. Frost
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
Sabrina Bruna
Joanna Posylek
P.L.F. Persio
Christine Andersen

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Oct 8, 2020

Felipe Lacerda wrote:

There's no such thing as a "croissant": it's just old rolled pizza from the day before that the bakery wants to trick you into buying as a new product.

The more you know it.

That may be the case in Brazil. You need to come to France to eat one, you'll find that it's heaven in pastry form. There is far more air in a French croissant than anywhere else in the world. You have to admire the French: the more air in the product, the more they charge. And somehow it's well worth it.

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Kevin Fulton
Christel Zipfel
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Snack time! Thanks for reminding me! Oct 8, 2020

Felipe Lacerda wrote:

The more you know it.

Just watch Martha Stewart's episode and try to make your own "croissants":
https://www.pbs.org/food/features/martha-bakes-croissants-episode/

If you ruin them while cooking, you can try to follow Taste Atlas:
https://www.tasteatlas.com/croissant/wheretoeat

PS: You need to replace your bakery!

[Edited at 2020-10-08 15:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-08 15:03 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pea soup Oct 8, 2020

That roll of pea soup from 1889 is incredible. Instantaneousness lasting over 130 years. Did you find that in your great-great-grandma's pantry, Matthias?
Now, that's the kind of product they don't want us to know about, like the light bulb they invented in the 50s or 60s that lasted forever, but ditched because everyone wanted to buy it, but nobody wanted to sell it.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
It belongs ... Oct 8, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

That roll of pea soup from 1889 is incredible. Instantaneousness lasting over 130 years. Did you find that in your great-great-grandma's pantry, Matthias?
Now, that's the kind of product they don't want us to know about, like the light bulb they invented in the 50s or 60s that lasted forever, but ditched because everyone wanted to buy it, but nobody wanted to sell it.

... to our national German heritage and has had an own exhibition in the German Historical Museum in Berlin, dealing with the role of the roll in all aspects of German life. All Germans, from children to old agers, used to carry at least one roll of Erbswurst with them, when they left house, and it helped me to survive too, before I finally started a successful career as a translator. Today, I can afford baked beans with ham and eggs almost every day. And that´s the point, where we get back to the starter of this thread.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Pete in Finland
Pete in Finland
Finland
Local time: 13:04
English to Finnish
+ ...
Asking for serious advice Oct 9, 2020

Hello all! I don't know if I have come to the right place, but if I haven't, please correct me. And now, to the point. My dilemma is as follows.

I went to see the doctor the other day. But as it happened, I could not read it. There must be a clause that prevents this kind of thing from happening, at least in the fringe areas.

Can anyone please shed any light on this matter. Serious advice will be well received and much appreciated, especially from more experienced colle
... See more
Hello all! I don't know if I have come to the right place, but if I haven't, please correct me. And now, to the point. My dilemma is as follows.

I went to see the doctor the other day. But as it happened, I could not read it. There must be a clause that prevents this kind of thing from happening, at least in the fringe areas.

Can anyone please shed any light on this matter. Serious advice will be well received and much appreciated, especially from more experienced colleagues. Best wishes and so on.

PS. I would find it exceedingly super, if all who read this would send me a couple of hundred euro, bob, buck or yen, as the case may be. Of course, I will pay it back. Send the money to Mr. Peter von und zu Zollendorf-Fottering, 19 Exeter Road, Cockwood, England. Many thanks in advance!
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Germans travelling with food Oct 9, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

All Germans, from children to old agers, used to carry at least one roll of Erbswurst with them, when they left house

As we all know from Octopussy, Germans never leave home without sausages and beer.

Octopussy

This should be silly enough for a Friday afternoon.

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Joanna Posylek
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »