Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:46
German to English
An outrageous infringement on Tom's God-given right to be in whatever mood he pleases ... Oct 15, 2020

Chris S wrote:

How can wishing someone a nice day or evening be a bad thing? How can you possibly respond with anything other than “Thanks, and you”?

WHO ARE YOU TO TELL TOM WHAT KIND OF DAY TO HAVE?!

PS: My money is on 39 minutes, but I don't know if my replies get posted immediately.

Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Anderson Silva
Zibow Retailleau

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:46
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly Oct 15, 2020

Michael Wetzel wrote:

WHO ARE YOU TO TELL TOM WHAT KIND OF DAY TO HAVE?!

Exactly.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Parting Oct 15, 2020

Who’da thunk being friendly could be such a minefield?

“Au revoir” is too presumptuous.

“See ya” is just asking for “Hope not”.

“Farewell” is just too damned friendly.

Turns out even plain old “goodbye” is fraught with religious implications.

I think I’d better hope I never meet Tom in the first place.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
crazy indoctrination Oct 15, 2020

There has been too much indoctrination from so-called "political correctness" (pc) and talk of "microaggression." It is really incorrect, demanding that people look for ways to take offense at just about anything. Everybody does not think the same way. We cannot read people's minds to figure out what their intentions are, so there is no point in trying to judge them or make people talk the same way.

What happened to giving people the benefit of the doubt, not judging people's moti
... See more
There has been too much indoctrination from so-called "political correctness" (pc) and talk of "microaggression." It is really incorrect, demanding that people look for ways to take offense at just about anything. Everybody does not think the same way. We cannot read people's minds to figure out what their intentions are, so there is no point in trying to judge them or make people talk the same way.

What happened to giving people the benefit of the doubt, not judging people's motives (you don't know what they are thinking unless they tell you and they have proven themselves to be trustworthy), forgiveness, and kindness? All this offense just causes more division. It does not improve relationships; as a matter of fact, it instills various levels of fear in people who speak plainly. PC tends to make people avoid contact with, or "tip-toe" around those who "wear their feelings on their shoulder," "have an axe to grind," or "have a chip on their shoulder." The problem lies more with those who choose to take offense than those who just speak clearly. At least those who speak plainly are not trying to deceive anyone.

I started to agree with Chris's "Parting," but the last statement kept me from doing it. As rude and critical as some people seem at times, Christ still loved and died for them, so they are worth being shown love, whether they want it or not. We don't know what they have been through in life or why they react the way they do. It could be what they have been taught (by word and/or deed) or behaviors they have developed to cope with their surroundings (to minimize being hurt again). Perhaps if we show them kindness instead of taking offense at their offense, some of that kindness will rub off on them. If not, it is their choice, but at least we will have done what is right by not taking offense ourselves, but rather speaking the truth in love. If we do not speak up, we are allowing the offense to grow, and that is not love.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Zibow Retailleau

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Can't think of a title... Oct 15, 2020

MollyRose, thank you so much for your powerful and compassionate statement.

I hope Tom won't mind, if I tell you that I've interacted with him in the Italian kudoz section, and exchanged a couple of emails several years ago.
He's always been warm, kind, witty, considerate, a real gentleman. I still see him that way, even when he goes all Ebenezer Scrooge.

MollyRose wrote:

I started to agree with Chris's "Parting," but the last statement kept me from doing it. As rude and critical as some people seem at times, Christ still loved and died for them, so they are worth being shown love, whether they want it or not. We don't know what they have been through in life or why they react the way they do. It could be what they have been taught (by word and/or deed) or behaviors they have developed to cope with their surroundings (to minimize being hurt again). Perhaps if we show them kindness instead of taking offense at their offense, some of that kindness will rub off on them. If not, it is their choice, but at least we will have done what is right by not taking offense ourselves, but rather speaking the truth in love. If we do not speak up, we are allowing the offense to grow, and that is not love.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Lest we forget Oct 15, 2020

Actually, that title will probably only have a second meaning for Tom and a handful of others here, being from where he's from. In fact, it probably has an optional third reference, but it just depends on the event you're lesting to forget ... cryptic, huh? Maybe Tom will jump in to give us his reading of it.

What I mean by it is that, if you go back to the very first post, let's not forget he actually created it for a couple of the usual suspects as a "play pen". Which might seem a
... See more
Actually, that title will probably only have a second meaning for Tom and a handful of others here, being from where he's from. In fact, it probably has an optional third reference, but it just depends on the event you're lesting to forget ... cryptic, huh? Maybe Tom will jump in to give us his reading of it.

What I mean by it is that, if you go back to the very first post, let's not forget he actually created it for a couple of the usual suspects as a "play pen". Which might seem a little harsh on the two of us, but there it is, a frivolity farmyard. Plus, every time someone posts, Tom has the annoyance/pleasure (?) of an e-mail notification as the OP.

[Edited at 2020-10-15 17:11 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:46
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Buona giornata Oct 15, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:
Have a nice evening

The standard response to that is "Thank you, but I have other plans".

Do you feel the same way about “buona giornata” and “buona serata”?

[Edited at 2020-10-15 16:52 GMT]

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Clarifying a few things Oct 15, 2020

I would like to clarify a few things, and I hope you can understand me.
First, I don't know Tom and he doesn't know me either.
Second, since I do not know him, I have always given him the benefit of the doubt since the beginning.
I'm sure he and many others here are excellent professionals and friendly people. I can see that.
Third, I tried to understand his answer and fortunately or unfortunately I found that reference.
Finally and most important: when I don't know
... See more
I would like to clarify a few things, and I hope you can understand me.
First, I don't know Tom and he doesn't know me either.
Second, since I do not know him, I have always given him the benefit of the doubt since the beginning.
I'm sure he and many others here are excellent professionals and friendly people. I can see that.
Third, I tried to understand his answer and fortunately or unfortunately I found that reference.
Finally and most important: when I don't know well someone or a specific culture, I never address myself in a way that may sound strange or raise astonishment, especially if that person doesn't speak my language.
If I wanted to explain to someone that something I said or wrote is incorrect or outdated, my approach would be different, but this is just me.
I said I wouldn't come here anymore, but I think I owe an explanation and besides, I wouldn't like to be the source of a conflict between the members of this discussion either.
"Desejo um bom dia a todos!" (I wish you all a good day!).

[Edited at 2020-10-15 18:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-15 18:15 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@expressisverbis Oct 15, 2020

To use the expression Andrew Morris was kind enough to apprise us of on the forums back in March, you've been "tominlondoned", that's all. And it's a fairly minor tominlondoning, too. Level 1 on the tominlondoning scale, l'd say. There are five levels:

Level 1 - Just messing. Very few words employed. Little or no annoyance shown.
Level 2 - Slightly peeved, but still half-hearted. Perhaps a line or two. Some no-nonsense language.
Level 3 - Outright annoyance. Entire parag
... See more
To use the expression Andrew Morris was kind enough to apprise us of on the forums back in March, you've been "tominlondoned", that's all. And it's a fairly minor tominlondoning, too. Level 1 on the tominlondoning scale, l'd say. There are five levels:

Level 1 - Just messing. Very few words employed. Little or no annoyance shown.
Level 2 - Slightly peeved, but still half-hearted. Perhaps a line or two. Some no-nonsense language.
Level 3 - Outright annoyance. Entire paragraphs. Language now angry and sarcastic.
Level 4 - Full-blown syndrome, with all caution thrown to the winds. Language highly sarcastic and challenging.
Level 5 - Same as Level 4, but will not let it lie, and Level 4 will be applied continuously throughout the day/week/month in successive posts.

Not everyone gets to do this, but I've experienced all five levels of tominlondoning, and I think Chris S probably has too. Levels 4 and 5 used to be applied quite regularly, but recently it's been Level 2 only. I can live with that.

[Edited at 2020-10-16 04:19 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Christel Zipfel
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino
Matthias Brombach
Kay Denney

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Molly and Exy Oct 15, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:
I wouldn't like to be the source of a conflict between the members of this discussion either.

Please don’t go, Exy! There’s no conflict. It’s just boys being boys.

I don’t want to put words (or anything else) into Tom’s mouth, but I think his original comment to you was just a joke. Like when you say “See you tomorrow” and some wag will say “Not if I see you coming”...

Likewise my comment about not wanting to meet Tom. It wasn’t so much that I don’t want to meet him, as that I wouldn’t know how to take my leave. I might be stuck with him for good. I don’t think we’d make good Siamese twins.

That said, I really don’t want to meet Tom, because I fear I would be disappointed. I’m sure he’s lovely in real life and much harder to poke fun at.

And as cantanker-in-chief and creator of this playpen, he’s really declared open season.

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Anderson Silva
Kay Denney
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Joke Oct 15, 2020

Right, it was a joke. Initially I couldn't put my finger on the example, but Chris could, expressisverbis - "See you tomorrow" - "Not if I see you coming." I remember we used to say the same thing, but the reply was "Not if I see you first."

After all, it's the Completely Frivolous Thread ...

expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
So good Oct 15, 2020

I said it twice

[Edited at 2020-10-15 20:34 GMT]

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Full frivol Oct 15, 2020

You forgot level 6. I could be happening right now. Done right, of course, we’d never know.

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I can't remember of similar jokes off the top of my head... Oct 15, 2020

I don't think I have any similar jokes in my native language, but I am willing to learn yours and Tom's jokes (from level 0 in "tominlondoning scale", please).
"Exy" I liked this nickname
It is a slang abbreviation in Australian English for "expensive" (I know, this is a frivolous detail).
Do you think it is a good idea for me to use it here? I don't want to be "expensive".
If not, I will keep my real name
... See more
I don't think I have any similar jokes in my native language, but I am willing to learn yours and Tom's jokes (from level 0 in "tominlondoning scale", please).
"Exy" I liked this nickname
It is a slang abbreviation in Australian English for "expensive" (I know, this is a frivolous detail).
Do you think it is a good idea for me to use it here? I don't want to be "expensive".
If not, I will keep my real name, "Sandra". I know "expressisverbis" is far too long.

PS: I don't like conflicts between you, "boys". We are living in a conflicted world now. We don't need more of that.

[Edited at 2020-10-15 21:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-15 21:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-15 21:51 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Exy Oct 16, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:
I will keep my real name, "Sandra".

That might be best. The last person I gave a nickname has vanished. Whatever happened to Dizzy? Run over by a biz?

My mother never forgave my grandmother for naming her Sandra. “Why couldn’t she just have called me Alexandra? Why would you want to shorten a name?” the woman who always called herself Sandy would wail.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Kay Denney
Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »