Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Translation Blog
Thread poster: Myrtle Birliraki, MCIL

Myrtle Birliraki, MCIL
Greece
Local time: 03:59
English to Greek
Dec 13, 2018

Hello All

I would like to let you know that a new translation blog, lexilogion.com, is coming soon. Lexilogion's aim is to promote Translation as an academic subject and as an expertise.

We are now looking for volunteer guest writers. We are interested in writers with an academic background in Translation or Linguistics and relevant experience. We are keen to speak with talented individuals specialising in translation, subtitling or localization.

This is a
... See more
Hello All

I would like to let you know that a new translation blog, lexilogion.com, is coming soon. Lexilogion's aim is to promote Translation as an academic subject and as an expertise.

We are now looking for volunteer guest writers. We are interested in writers with an academic background in Translation or Linguistics and relevant experience. We are keen to speak with talented individuals specialising in translation, subtitling or localization.

This is an incredible opportunity to strengthen your CV and enhance your writing portfolio.

Please follow the link www.lexilogion.com/guest-writers.

For any further information needed please contact me via email: editor@lexilogion.com.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks
Myrtle
Collapse


 

Myrtle Birliraki, MCIL
Greece
Local time: 03:59
English to Greek
TOPIC STARTER
Update Dec 15, 2018

Hi guys!

I'd like to give you a quick update, we will start publishing guest posts in January. The first guest post will be published on January 3, 2019.

If you would like to contribute please do let me know.

Looking forward to reading your submissions!

Have a very nice weekend!

Don't forget to follow us on Facebook @LexilogionBlog and Twitter @Lexilogion.

Myrtle

See more
Hi guys!

I'd like to give you a quick update, we will start publishing guest posts in January. The first guest post will be published on January 3, 2019.

If you would like to contribute please do let me know.

Looking forward to reading your submissions!

Have a very nice weekend!

Don't forget to follow us on Facebook @LexilogionBlog and Twitter @Lexilogion.

Myrtle

https://www.linkedin.com/in/myrtlebirliraki



https://www.lexilogion.com

[Edited at 2018-12-15 21:06 GMT]
Collapse


 

Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:59
German to English
+ ...
answer Dec 16, 2018

Before I publish anywhere, I want to have an idea of what kinds of views or philosophies it represents. Right now I can't get an idea, since it has just started up so it is literally blank. I'd also want to have a reason to do that work, and at the moment I don't know what that reason would be.

You say that you want to promote translation as an academic subject. I don't know if I see it that way. Perhaps you can elucidate what you mean by that. Certainly over here one can have
... See more
Before I publish anywhere, I want to have an idea of what kinds of views or philosophies it represents. Right now I can't get an idea, since it has just started up so it is literally blank. I'd also want to have a reason to do that work, and at the moment I don't know what that reason would be.

You say that you want to promote translation as an academic subject. I don't know if I see it that way. Perhaps you can elucidate what you mean by that. Certainly over here one can have a degree in translation, which is taught in university, and in that sense is academic. But I have also seen examples where in other countries people seem to study it as a postgraduate course, quite academically, theoretically, and what I've seen in discussions seemed impractical. If this is what you mean by "academic" I'm not sure that I'd like to see it that way. If more broadly, then maybe.
Collapse


 

Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:59
French to German
+ ...
Who is "we"? Dec 16, 2018

Hi!

I wonder who is "we"?

Do you represent a translation agency or an organisation...?

I followed the link, but the result was "page not found"...

Andrea


 

Myrtle Birliraki, MCIL
Greece
Local time: 03:59
English to Greek
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Andrea Dec 16, 2018

Andrea Halbritter wrote:

Hi!

I wonder who is "we"?

Do you represent a translation agency or an organisation...?


Hi Andrea!

Thank you for your comment. I do not represent a translation agency or an organisation. Lexilogion is a blog, it is not a translation agency or organisation.

The link seems to work fine and the website is optimized for mobile devices. Maybe you could try again and let me know.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Myrtle


 

Myrtle Birliraki, MCIL
Greece
Local time: 03:59
English to Greek
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Maxi Dec 16, 2018

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

Before I publish anywhere, I want to have an idea of what kinds of views or philosophies it represents. Right now I can't get an idea, since it has just started up so it is literally blank. I'd also want to have a reason to do that work, and at the moment I don't know what that reason would be.

You say that you want to promote translation as an academic subject. I don't know if I see it that way. Perhaps you can elucidate what you mean by that. Certainly over here one can have a degree in translation, which is taught in university, and in that sense is academic. But I have also seen examples where in other countries people seem to study it as a postgraduate course, quite academically, theoretically, and what I've seen in discussions seemed impractical. If this is what you mean by "academic" I'm not sure that I'd like to see it that way. If more broadly, then maybe.


Hi Maxi!

Thank you for your comment. Lexilogion is open to all kinds of views and philosophies, an article doesn't have to adhere to a certain perspective. All views and opinions are welcomed. So if you would like to contribute, you can just express your thoughts and opinion. It could be a comment or a suggestion let's say for a book or a course, or just your thoughts about translation as an expertise, anything you would like to share with other people.

As for the "academic", I mean it in the broader sense, I feel that "theoretical" could be another word I could use for that. The website also mentions promoting "translation as an expertise", maybe you would like to focus on that aspect of translation.

The reason for contributing to a new blog depends on the contributor. People would publish for all sorts of reasons. For example, the fact that I keep an open mind and it is a new blog means that your article has higher chances of getting accepted. But honestly it is up to you, it depends on how you see this opportunity.

In any case, do stay in touch.

All the best
Myrtle


 

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Vitiated approach? Dec 17, 2018

Dear Myrtle "WE" Birliraki,

As far as I understand, the very definition a (web)blog is but a personal reflections and topics discussions of one or more authors. All blogs are already in their niche and owned by the authors, therefore I see no good reason waving one's exclusive rights on the original content for free and--
1. Guest posts must be your own original work and must not have been published before.
2. We do not offer compensation... See more
Dear Myrtle "WE" Birliraki,

As far as I understand, the very definition a (web)blog is but a personal reflections and topics discussions of one or more authors. All blogs are already in their niche and owned by the authors, therefore I see no good reason waving one's exclusive rights on the original content for free and--
1. Guest posts must be your own original work and must not have been published before.
2. We do not offer compensation for writing guest posts.
3. Plagiarism or copyright infringement is not permitted.
4. When quoting others, please make sure to properly cite your source.
5. Posts will acknowledge your authorship but will be the property of Lexilogion.
6. You can to share a link to the posts you have authored on social media or your website.
7. Affiliate links must not be included in Lexilogion submissions.
8. Lexilogion reserves the right to add its own affiliate links where appropriate.
9. Guest post writers will be allowed to have two links to their website or social media profile within the author acknowledgement. This must not be an affiliate link or point to an affiliate site.
10. We do not guarantee any particular site or audience reach.
11. Lexilogion reserves the right to edit guest posts where necessary.
12. Once we officially post a guest post, you may request we make grammatical or wording changes. Any edits that change the content or meaning of an article must be requested in writing. You may also request changes/updates to your photo, bio or links.
13. Lexilogion reserves the right to refuse publication or remove a guest post without prior notice to the guest post writer.
What exactly is the use of such volunteer professional ghostwriting? And what benefits for 'dispossessed' translators?
Collapse


Dominique Durand
 

Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:59
German to English
+ ...
opportunity .... and nature of blogs Dec 17, 2018

MyrtleBi wrote:

... it depends on how you see this opportunity.


DZiW reflected my own confusion, in that blogs by their nature are like public diaries in a sense, that reflects the blog owner's own thoughts. If I wanted to publish my thoughts on translation, then I would open a blog of my own. The idea of a blog reflecting other people's thoughts seems to vastly expand the meaning of blog.

I've puzzled the word "opportunity" as well. When we have an aspiration of some kind; say to earn good money, then we look for opportunities to do so -- but what gain is there here? Writing material for publication is hard work. I post in ProZ because I want to keep abreast of trends and new ideas concerning my field, and I contribute in order to give back, and sometimes to see by reactions if my thoughts are on track.

In any case I wish you good luck in your project, and I'll try to drop in to see what writings it ends up containing.


 

Myrtle Birliraki, MCIL
Greece
Local time: 03:59
English to Greek
TOPIC STARTER
Hi again Dec 17, 2018

Hello

Just to make that clear this is not about ghostwriting, the author will be acknowledged and can share his/her article. There are many kinds of blogs, Lexilogion is a reverse blog, not a personal one.

These terms and conditions are similar to other blogs' T & Cs that accept guest posts. If you don't agree, you don't have to contribute.

As for the "we", Lexilogion is a collective work, there are other people who have joined me in organizing this.
... See more
Hello

Just to make that clear this is not about ghostwriting, the author will be acknowledged and can share his/her article. There are many kinds of blogs, Lexilogion is a reverse blog, not a personal one.

These terms and conditions are similar to other blogs' T & Cs that accept guest posts. If you don't agree, you don't have to contribute.

As for the "we", Lexilogion is a collective work, there are other people who have joined me in organizing this.

M






[Edited at 2018-12-17 06:52 GMT]
Collapse


 

Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:59
Member (2018)
French to English
What's in it for us? What's in it for you? Dec 17, 2018

MyrtleBi wrote:

Just to make that clear this is not about ghostwriting, the author will be acknowledged and can share his/her article. There are many kinds of blogs, Lexilogion is a reverse blog, not a personal one.

These terms and conditions are similar to other blogs' T & Cs that accept guest posts. If you don't agree, you don't have to contribute.

As for the "we", Lexilogion is a collective work, there are other people who have joined me in organizing this.



[Edited at 2018-12-17 06:52 GMT]


The author may be acknowledged but they hand over property of their work. This means that they cannot then publish it elsewhere. The owners of the blog will be free to do so, perhaps publishing a hard copy book and making money out of it once the reputation has been established. So apart from being able to say "I have published an article on this blog nobody's heard of", I really don't see what's in it for the author.

Having been burned once by an unscrupulous person not saying clearly who they were (in a completely different context but still) I'm all the more wary.


 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:59
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Language? Dec 17, 2018

Is this blog going to be in American English only? I'll have fun checking the English for all the mistakes (in fact I already am). Why is there a photograph of Brooklyn Bridge on the front page?

[Edited at 2018-12-17 10:00 GMT]


 

Myrtle Birliraki, MCIL
Greece
Local time: 03:59
English to Greek
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Dec 17, 2018

Hello Kay!

I understand your past experiences make you wary, you could contribute when the blog gets well-known.

M


 

Myrtle Birliraki, MCIL
Greece
Local time: 03:59
English to Greek
TOPIC STARTER
Tom Dec 17, 2018

Tom,

The blog is going to be in English.

M


 

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:59
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Technical error? Dec 17, 2018

Page not found.

 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:59
Member
English to Italian
Full stop in URL Dec 17, 2018

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Page not found.


Just remove the full stop at the end of the URL.


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Blog

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search