Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Trados Training in Edinburgh (after the Conference) on Sunday, November 12, 2006
Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik
Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:02
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Hello Jerzy! Sep 13, 2006

Hello Jerzy!
First of all, thank you very much indeed for this seminar. I can easily imagine it is not easy to prepare and needs a lot of time. So thank you 1000 times.

Once this said, I have asuggestion: Perhaps you remember that my english is not good -honestly said, really bad! So I was thinking, as you said you would like to make tables with 5 or 6 participants, that you consider to check the languages they know. i.e. you, polnish and german. So if there is somebody knowin
... See more
Hello Jerzy!
First of all, thank you very much indeed for this seminar. I can easily imagine it is not easy to prepare and needs a lot of time. So thank you 1000 times.

Once this said, I have asuggestion: Perhaps you remember that my english is not good -honestly said, really bad! So I was thinking, as you said you would like to make tables with 5 or 6 participants, that you consider to check the languages they know. i.e. you, polnish and german. So if there is somebody knowing well how to work with trados, this may be able to explain what you said or what we are just trying in the language we know best.

And about me: I own trados freelance 7 since December 2005. All I know about was self-tought. I fell myself as an absolute beginner -or even less, if possible. However I try to work with it but I often have problems (i.e. I translated for today 17 pages from german into spanish -my only pair- and the client received... 60 pages!!!!!!!!!!! We both had exactly the same number of words, as per word itself in original. And there were no pages repeated. So I think it must be something with trados.

Ah! And finally: I registered for it as soon as I heard you are doing this. I think like 10 days ago.

So, once more, thank you very much and lovely greetings,
Helena
Collapse

ST Translations
ST Translations
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:02
French to English
TRADOS Training Sep 15, 2006

Hello
I was wondering - I have not seen a price for this training. Does the price of the Conference include this training or is it something I should pay for additionally?

ST Translations
ST Translations
United Kingdom
French to English
Complete beginner Sep 15, 2006

Hello
I have just registered for your course. I am a complete beginner about to buy TRADOS so I will try my best to understand it a bit before I attend the training session (it sounds really complicated!) Thank you for organising this course - I am looking forward to it

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for registering Sep 16, 2006

It is not that complicated - and the aim of the Trainig is to show you how it works

Regards
Jerzy

Nicky Over
Nicky Over  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
Absolute beginner Sep 28, 2006

Hi Jerzy

Thanks very much for offering this training session - I have just signed up for it. I have never used a CAT tool, and want to find out how they work, to see whether to buy one or not. See you in Edinburgh!

Best regards, Nicky

avantix
avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
In memoriam
Count me in Oct 10, 2006

English2French wrote:

Although I have been using Workbench and Tageditor for many years, I have taught myself how to use them and I would be happy to go back to basics before moving on to more advanced stuff.

I have never used Multiterm and would be grateful for a walkthrough.

Best regards,
Laure

Hi Jerzy,
I have just registered for the workshop. My Trados experience and expectations are similar to Laure's, so why type the whole story again...?
Herman

LILIANA HUTANU
LILIANA HUTANU  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 01:02
English to Romanian
+ ...
Count me in as a beginner Oct 23, 2006

Hi Jerzy

Thank you very much for offering this training session. Even if I used Trados on my own, I would like to start this session as a beginner. So, please count me in as well.

Best regards,
Liliana

Katja Anderson (X)
Katja Anderson (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
Absolute Beginner Oct 25, 2006

Hi Jerzy,
I am an absolute beginner not only to TRADOS but to the whole "Translation World", but like to get started in it. Does it make sense for me to sign up for the TRADOS course and conference or is it too early for that? I am just doing an IoL diploma in translation in January so I am not "officially qualified" yet, does it matter?
Best Regards
Katja

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Katja Oct 26, 2006

You will be warm welcomed to the Training as any other attendee, if you decide to go for it.
I cannot tell, if you need to learn Trados at this stage. This depends on what do wish to translate later. If you will concentrate on poetry and literature, CAT (computer assisted translation) in general will be of a very little need to you. If you go for technical translations, you will not stand anymore without CAT.

In this session we shall not speak about the translation theory, whi
... See more
You will be warm welcomed to the Training as any other attendee, if you decide to go for it.
I cannot tell, if you need to learn Trados at this stage. This depends on what do wish to translate later. If you will concentrate on poetry and literature, CAT (computer assisted translation) in general will be of a very little need to you. If you go for technical translations, you will not stand anymore without CAT.

In this session we shall not speak about the translation theory, which I believe you know now far more than me, but just about how to use Trados. So if you wish to sign in for this session, it might be usefull to sign in also to the Trados session, which will be held during the conference.
As for my side you can also decide to come first to Trados session during the conference and then, if you see that it might be interesting, still sign in for the training (provided it is not full - as for now ther should be at least 5 spaces left).

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Angeles Castelo
Angeles Castelo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Any version of Trados? Oct 26, 2006

Hi,

I am preparing my laptop for this session by trying to download a demo of Trados, but all I seem tof ind is trial versions of the 2006 release.

If I install this for the conference, is it going to cause a problem at all?

Thank you, and see you soon

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The version of Trados does not matter Oct 26, 2006

There are differences in behaviour of different Trados versions, especially regarding special characters, but for the purpose of the training I think any Trados version from 3.0 should do.
However, if you want to translate Word files or InDesign INX files with Tageditor, you will need the version 7 or above.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
When installing the demo, please chose English as one of the translation languages.
Also other participants: please make su
... See more
There are differences in behaviour of different Trados versions, especially regarding special characters, but for the purpose of the training I think any Trados version from 3.0 should do.
However, if you want to translate Word files or InDesign INX files with Tageditor, you will need the version 7 or above.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
When installing the demo, please chose English as one of the translation languages.
Also other participants: please make sure you have English among your translation languages in the Workbench.
Collapse

Judy Cumberbatch
Judy Cumberbatch
Arabic to English
+ ...
Beginners/Arabic Oct 26, 2006

Hi Jerzy

I am thinking of coming to Edinburgh and one of the main reasons is the Trados session.
I am a complete beginner. I translate from Arabic. Will having a different script in the source language pose any problems?
Oh and are there any places left?
Best weishes
Judy

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Judy Oct 26, 2006

There are still five or six spaces left, so you are warm welcome to register, if you wish.

Regarding the Arabic script I must admit, that this goes beyond my abilities. I never tried to use Trados for other languages, than Polish. German and English.
OTOH, Trados does support Arabic AFAIK, so the priciples how to work with shall be fairly the same - and this is what we want to learn. What I want to show you is not based on a particular language.
I will use texts in Germa
... See more
There are still five or six spaces left, so you are warm welcome to register, if you wish.

Regarding the Arabic script I must admit, that this goes beyond my abilities. I never tried to use Trados for other languages, than Polish. German and English.
OTOH, Trados does support Arabic AFAIK, so the priciples how to work with shall be fairly the same - and this is what we want to learn. What I want to show you is not based on a particular language.
I will use texts in German and English as examples, but this does not limit us to anything. The purpose is not to learn translating, but to see, how Trados works. For this you even do not need to understand the text you have as example - this does not affect the functions, as Open/Get, TRanslate to Fuzzy and so on. We will not use any big translation memories, just few segments - this is enough to show the main and even some advanced functions. So if you consider this may be of any help, I will be glad to welcome you on Sunday.

Best regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Catherine Roux
Catherine Roux
English to French
+ ...
Trados workshop Nov 2, 2006

Hi Jerzy,
I've registered for the Trados Workshop and I'm a complete beginner although I know the principles of it. I'm intending to buy Trados soon.
I look forward to this productive session

Catherine

Ana Kardum
Ana Kardum  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Croatian
+ ...
Already familiar with Trados Nov 2, 2006

Hello Jerzy,

Can I still register for the course? I am more experienced in the use of Trados, but I am interested in its use with particular programs (InDesign; Quark etc.) and in the troubleshooting, i.e. solution to certain problems that appear in its use in the Office. Plus, it is always useful to exchange knowledge and share experience.

Thanks for your reply.

Looking forward to see you all in Edinburgh!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Training in Edinburgh (after the Conference) on Sunday, November 12, 2006

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »