Maria Eugenia Roca Rodriguez  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:55
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 21, 2001

Hello,

Somebody asked me for a quote for a translation and I never sent one, as this is one of my first \"real\" jobs.

Can anyone send me a sample of a quote?

I will appreciate your help very much

Regards,

Eugenia

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 25, 2001

A simple \"presupuesto\". In your combinations, you send a per word rate specifying if its source or target, minimum rate, target turnover which may be expected per day, and you stick to that. (German combinations are an exception due to the rate of decompression. The rate is per line.) It\'s a little math and economic feasibility. Base your quotes on international conventions, which are statistically well-studied.

magallanes
magallanes
United States
Local time: 22:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
What should I include in a quote? Oct 11, 2013

I am a new member to ProZ, and am hoping to quote on my first job soon.

To that end, I wonder what is typically included in a quote for a ProZ job. Do I package my resume together with my rates? Would that be an appropriate? "Parrot" seems to indicate that the quote should just set the parameters of the job at hand (rates, deadlines, etc.) and not include resume information?

Thank you to experienced ProZ members for your guidance.

Jodi

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Oct 12, 2013

A quote is just a price, so you just need to say: "My charge for this job would be X words at $X per word = $X." The customer normally specifies the deadline, but if not, they'll want to know when you can return the job. Don't send your résumé unless they ask for it.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You gotta beat the delete button and all the other translators too Oct 12, 2013

magallanes wrote:
I wonder what is typically included in a quote for a ProZ job. Do I package my resume together with my rates? Would that be an appropriate? "Parrot" seems to indicate that the quote should just set the parameters of the job at hand (rates, deadlines, etc.) and not include resume information?

If you mean that you want to respond to jobs posts on ProZ.com, then whatever you do will have to prevent the client from hitting the delete button and on top of that it needs to create a good enough impression that you make the shortlist. Whether or not to include a résumé as an attachment is up to you, but you should make sure that the client gets all the necessary information from you instantly (otherwise he will delete your bid after 5 seconds of staring at it) and you need to make a good impression.

A jobs post may be sent out to 500 translators. Even if just 10% of them respond to the job, that's 50 e-mails that the client will have to deal with. Obviously if you can get in there quickly, you stand a better chance of being selected, but you can still land yourself the job if you make a good impression even if your bid is not among the first few. Following the client's directions also helps (i.e. if he asks for X, Y and Z information, make sure that that information is prominent in your bid).

Say, do the Americans really write "resume" when they mean résumé? A quick google indicates that in the EDU domain, "resumé" is used 10 times as frequent as "résumé", and 40 times as frequent as "resume", whereas in the GOV domain, "resume" is used nearly twice as frequent as "resumé" and 20 times as frequent as "résumé". Sites that write "color" and not "colour" use "resumé" 9 times as frequent as "résumé". That's interesting -- I didn't know that "resume" is a valid spelling. Perhaps I should apologise to all the translators whose bids I deleted because they wrote "resume". (-: Or perhaps there is a lesson here.

Samuel

[Edited at 2013-10-12 10:46 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:55
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
My clients always use "resume" Oct 13, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

magallanes wrote:
I wonder what is typically included in a quote for a ProZ job. Do I package my resume together with my rates? Would that be an appropriate? "Parrot" seems to indicate that the quote should just set the parameters of the job at hand (rates, deadlines, etc.) and not include resume information?

If you mean that you want to respond to jobs posts on ProZ.com, then whatever you do will have to prevent the client from hitting the delete button and on top of that it needs to create a good enough impression that you make the shortlist. Whether or not to include a résumé as an attachment is up to you, but you should make sure that the client gets all the necessary information from you instantly (otherwise he will delete your bid after 5 seconds of staring at it) and you need to make a good impression.

A jobs post may be sent out to 500 translators. Even if just 10% of them respond to the job, that's 50 e-mails that the client will have to deal with. Obviously if you can get in there quickly, you stand a better chance of being selected, but you can still land yourself the job if you make a good impression even if your bid is not among the first few. Following the client's directions also helps (i.e. if he asks for X, Y and Z information, make sure that that information is prominent in your bid).

Say, do the Americans really write "resume" when they mean résumé? A quick google indicates that in the EDU domain, "resumé" is used 10 times as frequent as "résumé", and 40 times as frequent as "resume", whereas in the GOV domain, "resume" is used nearly twice as frequent as "resumé" and 20 times as frequent as "résumé". Sites that write "color" and not "colour" use "resumé" 9 times as frequent as "résumé". That's interesting -- I didn't know that "resume" is a valid spelling. Perhaps I should apologise to all the translators whose bids I deleted because they wrote "resume". (-: Or perhaps there is a lesson here.

Samuel

[Edited at 2013-10-12 10:46 GMT]

with no exception.

[Edited at 2013-10-13 10:30 GMT]

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:55
Japanese to English
+ ...
Less to do with valid spellings Oct 13, 2013

...and more to do with a huge number of users that don't know how to use Character Map, Alt-key combinations, etc. to produce uncommon symbols and letters.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The simple recruitment and selection answers Oct 13, 2013

Any quote/application for any job must answer three questions:
1. What facts make you capable of doing it properly?
2. What facts make you compliant to the client's or other legal requirements?
3. If you were selected to do it, what would you want in exchange for having done it as requested?

Anything else will be merely "gift wrapping", however it's good to include just the right amount of it: enough pleasantries to show that you are a polite individual, yet not en
... See more
Any quote/application for any job must answer three questions:
1. What facts make you capable of doing it properly?
2. What facts make you compliant to the client's or other legal requirements?
3. If you were selected to do it, what would you want in exchange for having done it as requested?

Anything else will be merely "gift wrapping", however it's good to include just the right amount of it: enough pleasantries to show that you are a polite individual, yet not enough to make you look like a potential time waster.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I quote professionally?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »