Thread poster: two2tango
Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:10
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Sweet euphonic sounds of the Latin languages Oct 4, 2005

I personally do love all Spanish words including a double “L” when they are pronounced with a Porteño’s accent (i.e. the Spanish spoken in Buenos Aires). For instance “ jorar en la cajé que mé jeva hassia tee” (llorar en la calle que me lleva hacia ti). It is very difficult for me to render the pronunciation of Spanish Argentinean in English as both languages are not my mother tongue. I hope that you will forgive me : just to see what I mean, try to hear any kind of “Tango” song... See more
I personally do love all Spanish words including a double “L” when they are pronounced with a Porteño’s accent (i.e. the Spanish spoken in Buenos Aires). For instance “ jorar en la cajé que mé jeva hassia tee” (llorar en la calle que me lleva hacia ti). It is very difficult for me to render the pronunciation of Spanish Argentinean in English as both languages are not my mother tongue. I hope that you will forgive me : just to see what I mean, try to hear any kind of “Tango” songs.

Also, if you like the nice sounds of Portuguese language listen to any “Fado” and even more easy the Brazilian version of Portuguese (and well known in USA) listening to the lyrics of “Desafinado” or “ Para Machucar Meu Coracao” sung by Joao Gilberto on the Stan Getz record (edited by Verve ). Also in “Brazilian” : any songs interpreted by Chico Buarque de Hollandia…

I also do love the euphonic sounds of the Catalan language (here you have a nice mix of Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and French sounds…) which are particularly featured in the “Habaneras” songs.

Well ! I have to stop here because this would be a never ending story…
Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Shorando en la cashe Oct 5, 2005

Thierry LOTTE wrote:

I personally do love all Spanish words including a double “L” when they are pronounced with a Porteño’s accent (i.e. the Spanish spoken in Buenos Aires). For instance “ jorar en la cajé que mé jeva hassia tee” (llorar en la calle que me lleva hacia ti).

Hi Thierry!

I am afraid the sound you love is dying

In Argentina there was a phonetic break some time ago. People around 40 or younger replace it with "sh" and would sing “shorar en la cashe que me sheva hassia tee”.

My wife Haydée and I save very funny conversations about these differences with our boys Martin and Alejandro, aged 21 and 16.

Kind regards,
Enrique

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:10
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Words for butterfly Oct 5, 2005

I'm especially fond of the words for butterfly in the languages I know.

papillon French
mariposa Spanish
farfalla Italian
Schmetterling German
sommerfugl Norwegian/Danish
fjäril Swedish
borboleta Portuguese
vlinder Dutch

Esteban Flamini
Esteban Flamini  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 04:10
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sh/Zh Oct 5, 2005

two2tango wrote:

Thierry LOTTE wrote:

I personally do love all Spanish words including a double “L” when they are pronounced with a Porteño’s accent (i.e. the Spanish spoken in Buenos Aires). For instance “ jorar en la cajé que mé jeva hassia tee” (llorar en la calle que me lleva hacia ti).

Hi Thierry!

I am afraid the sound you love is dying

In Argentina there was a phonetic break some time ago. People around 40 or younger replace it with "sh" and would sing “shorar en la cashe que me sheva hassia tee”.

Most Argentineans are unaware of this phonetic change. By the way, if my ear is not all that untrained, I believe the /zh/ sound Thierry loves survives in the other shore of the La Plata River, in Uruguay. And (to my surprise, as I once believed it was idiosincratic of Argentina/Uruguay) I heard Andalusians pronounce 'll' with a kind-of /zh/ sound, though somewhat 'softer' (take popular singer Joaquín Sabina for example).

Esteban Flamini
Esteban Flamini  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mexican languages Oct 5, 2005

I think it's time this forum does justice to the beautiful words of Nahuatl (the language of the Aztecs). A Mexican friend of mine taught me a few, though I cannot guarantee whether they are all from Nahuatl or also from other languages of Mexico. Try to pronounce them! (I hope my pronouncing clues are right.)

Itztlacihuatl (/eetz tla 'cee wah tl/): the name of a mythological princess (Lamberto, are you there to check this?)

Yoloxochitl (I believe it's like /yaw law 'sh
... See more
I think it's time this forum does justice to the beautiful words of Nahuatl (the language of the Aztecs). A Mexican friend of mine taught me a few, though I cannot guarantee whether they are all from Nahuatl or also from other languages of Mexico. Try to pronounce them! (I hope my pronouncing clues are right.)

Itztlacihuatl (/eetz tla 'cee wah tl/): the name of a mythological princess (Lamberto, are you there to check this?)

Yoloxochitl (I believe it's like /yaw law 'shaw chee tl/): the name of a flower; also a name for a woman (and I believe, a town in Mexico).

I think /tl/ is one of the most beautiful sounds a language can have!

Finally, let me introduce to you the tongue twister all Mexican children love:

Parangaricutirimicuaro (/pah rang gah ree coo tee ree 'mee kwah raw/): the name of a town in Michoacan.
Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hubris Oct 6, 2005

Hubris is one of my favorite "meaningful" word, the sin of arrogance that the old gods loved to punish, the "tragic flaw" of the clasic theater. And it is not only an ancient concept.

Enrique

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:10
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Butterfly Oct 6, 2005

Michele Fauble wrote:

I'm especially fond of the words for butterfly in the languages I know.

papillon French
mariposa Spanish
farfalla Italian
Schmetterling German
sommerfugl Norwegian/Danish
fjäril Swedish
borboleta Portuguese
vlinder Dutch

Michele, here is another one for your collection;

lepke Hungarian

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
corazon Oct 21, 2005

...for fans of Gardel or anyone else for that matter. Brings a bittersweet smile to my face.

Pavel Constantinov
Pavel Constantinov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2016)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
several words Dec 11, 2005

A word that I love in my native Bulgarian is the word "vetrotlenie" [veh-troh-TLEH-nee-eh], which would render into something like the condition of the wind slowly "smouldering away"... it is a pity this word has died during the 20th century

Another nice Bulgarian word, luckily still alive, is "lyubveobilen" (LYUH-bveh-oh-BEE-len), meaning literally "love-abundant", or "abundant with love", for a very loving person.... See more
A word that I love in my native Bulgarian is the word "vetrotlenie" [veh-troh-TLEH-nee-eh], which would render into something like the condition of the wind slowly "smouldering away"... it is a pity this word has died during the 20th century

Another nice Bulgarian word, luckily still alive, is "lyubveobilen" (LYUH-bveh-oh-BEE-len), meaning literally "love-abundant", or "abundant with love", for a very loving person.

There are many words in English that I like... however, I cannot recall many of them now one of my personal favorites though is "mellifluous", i just love the euphony of it
Collapse

Susy Ordaz
Susy Ordaz  Identity Verified
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Beautiful words Dec 17, 2005

two2tango wrote:

I love words. There are so many of them, some have musical qualities, some are pregnant with significance; some are menacing, other are comforting; some are heavy while others are as light as dust...

While reading Kim Robinson’s Blue Mars I hit upon a particularly beautiful Inuit word: nuannaarpoq, meaning "taking an inordinate pleasure in being alive" or maybe "the extravagant pleasure of being alive".

I kind of envy a culture able to create and use such a portentous word.

Do you have an outstanding word to share?
Kind regards,
Enrique

[Edited at 2005-10-01 13:36]

Firstly, I must say that I was very touched when reading your post. I too love words, here´s one for you "saudade". This is Portuguese and there isn´t any word in English that can reach it´s true meaning. "Saudade" means: longing, yearning,homesickness, nostalgia. Alot to be said about just one word, eh?
Merry Chrsitmas
Susy Ordaz

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nuannaarpoq and other beautiful words

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »