Thread poster: Julian Wood
Julian Wood
Julian Wood  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:45
Czech to English
+ ...
Apr 2, 2007

Hello-sorry for the numerous postings
I used a Treo 600 PDA to organise my life, but it came to the end of its life.
I am now looking at the replacement options- there are some nice gadgets out there at present!
One I am considering is the Blackberry 7100.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
SPV M5000 (Orange) for larger keyboard and wifi Apr 2, 2007

That Blackberry model has come in for some criticism because its keyboard is very small and it doesn't have wifi.

I'm using the larger and heavier clam-shell type SPV M5000 (Orange) which is available from some other networks under different names and it is very useful when I'm on the road. It's got a large Qwerty keyboard, a screen that is at least 7cmx5.5cm large, 3G connectivity, wifi, and PDA versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint, which means that you can view attachments to em
... See more
That Blackberry model has come in for some criticism because its keyboard is very small and it doesn't have wifi.

I'm using the larger and heavier clam-shell type SPV M5000 (Orange) which is available from some other networks under different names and it is very useful when I'm on the road. It's got a large Qwerty keyboard, a screen that is at least 7cmx5.5cm large, 3G connectivity, wifi, and PDA versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint, which means that you can view attachments to emails received on the road. These phones hold their value well, so you can recuperate the cost (on ebay) when you move on to the next model.
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 20:45
English to Indonesian
+ ...
treo 680? Apr 2, 2007

with several color options, familiar palm os, docs2go etc. you can also scheduled versamail to check your inbox.

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Nokia E61 Apr 2, 2007

Hi Julian,
I've had this for a few months now and am more than happy with it. I'm on a T-Mobile contract which includes all your minutes and texts and internet browsing and push e-mail too... in fact, sometimes I wonder whether it doesn't have too many features for its own good... I saw somewhere that the next version of the phone won't have as many features (!) so it might be wise to check that out. Worth looking at as an alternative to the BlackBerry.

The down side: no came
... See more
Hi Julian,
I've had this for a few months now and am more than happy with it. I'm on a T-Mobile contract which includes all your minutes and texts and internet browsing and push e-mail too... in fact, sometimes I wonder whether it doesn't have too many features for its own good... I saw somewhere that the next version of the phone won't have as many features (!) so it might be wise to check that out. Worth looking at as an alternative to the BlackBerry.

The down side: no camera.

There's a review here.

Nokia's page on the E61 is here.

Happy searching,
Amy

[Edited at 2007-04-02 10:16]
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
HTC3300 Apr 2, 2007

... was my choice and I don't regret it. The only drawback is the fact that it does not have 3G connectivity.

Whatever you do, get a PDA with a phone in it. Makes things a lot less complicated. Also, I would always go for Windows Mobile because of the versatility, e.g. if you choose to use your pda for gps navigation.

Someone recently reported problems with reading certain parts of the proz.com site on a Blackberry, so do test before you buy.

Hikmat Gumilar
Hikmat Gumilar  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 20:45
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
What is your objective of having PDA now? Apr 2, 2007

There are a lot of choices out there.

I use O2 Pure simply because I can check my Gmail in my PDA to answer and browse Proz.com, Kudoz etc. while on the run and receive calls of course, and it has all the wireless connectivity I need.

If emails is what you want the PDA for, then Blackberry is what you need. No need fancy camera with bluetooth or MP3 or 3G things.

The key is list down what do you want from that PDA... and find the gadget to meet that needs,
... See more
There are a lot of choices out there.

I use O2 Pure simply because I can check my Gmail in my PDA to answer and browse Proz.com, Kudoz etc. while on the run and receive calls of course, and it has all the wireless connectivity I need.

If emails is what you want the PDA for, then Blackberry is what you need. No need fancy camera with bluetooth or MP3 or 3G things.

The key is list down what do you want from that PDA... and find the gadget to meet that needs, skip other features you may not need to save the money, narrow down your choice to selected brands because most brands has complete range now...

Hope it helps..
Collapse

Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:45
English to Dutch
+ ...
MDA vario Apr 2, 2007

I have the MDA Vario by T-mobile and I am very happy with it.

Saskia

Julian Wood
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I'm looking for Apr 2, 2007

Ta for the posts, very useful and enlightening!
I am looking for something with a good keyboard, not too huge and obtrusive and decent phone coverage.
Am considering SPV m5000 or Nokia E61- both seem decent, but SPV not great on calling.
Is the E61 keyboard quite quick?

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
With Amy... Apr 2, 2007

I have had a Nokia E61 for the last eight months and it's been fantastic... I don't use half the stuff on it, but what I do use (e-mail mainly + checking attachments, internet, phone) I managed to set up by myself.

Mine has a Swedish keyboard, but I don't have any problems with it at all. Easy to use and the screen quality is great, as is the battery life.

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Nokia 9500 Apr 2, 2007

I have been using this for a year now and I am still impressed with it. I was thinking at one stage about Nokia E61 but I really like having a camera on my phone so I that was not an option. Whereas 9500 is like a mobile office - email, fax, internet. The new communicator is coming out sometimes this year.

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 08:45
English to Russian
+ ...
Pocket PC Apr 2, 2007

It's amasing how different opinions can be - I returned my Nokia E62 (US mod, I guess) after a 15-day trial as I found it extremely user unfriendly. The joystick alone...

If you could think of a slightly larger investment, think PPC - I am extremely happy with my 8125, worth every penny. No comparison to palm devices. Just to mention Office and Skype in my pocket and extended keyboard... It was not so bad moneywise with a mobile plan - $240 for the device +$40.00/month for unlimited
... See more
It's amasing how different opinions can be - I returned my Nokia E62 (US mod, I guess) after a 15-day trial as I found it extremely user unfriendly. The joystick alone...

If you could think of a slightly larger investment, think PPC - I am extremely happy with my 8125, worth every penny. No comparison to palm devices. Just to mention Office and Skype in my pocket and extended keyboard... It was not so bad moneywise with a mobile plan - $240 for the device +$40.00/month for unlimited data package. Wi-Fi router at home and I have the best comm and network in the world. Skype Internet and SkypeIn calls are right there too.

But then again, it could be unnecessary expense for a translator and domestic use only - I am a traveler and an interpreter often away from my home office...
Collapse

Julian Wood
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Decided (almost) Apr 2, 2007

Hi
Am going for Version 2 of the Vario;
See more
Hi
Am going for Version 2 of the Vario;
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/eshop/personal/phones/phone-specification.do?mpc=300003122&allOnOnePage=false&menuId=handset.postpaid&paymentTypeId=1&bundleTypeGroup=0&sortOrderId=handsetList.sort.label.default&manufacturerId=1012¤tPageNumber=0

Reasons- 3G internet is really quite fast
-nice keyboard, important for me
-nice it has a camera, as I have none at present
-called T-Mobile, and one can have a 1 month trial, and they offer good rates for self-employed people

Seems sensible?

PS Another very helpful thread this has been, thanks
Collapse

Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
vario 2 Apr 2, 2007

Hi, that's the one I have as mentioned earlier. The keyboard is great, and it's illuminated in the dark. I had a special T-mobile deal by which I got the MDA for free, so long as I stuck to T-mobile for 2 years.
Never looked back since. Great support, too!

Good luck and happy shopping!

Saskia

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
sure I've said this before.... Apr 3, 2007

there have been quite a few threads about this, and I'm sure I've praised my Nokia E61 before, as have Amy and Clare. Anyway.

T-mobile offer unlimited data for an extra £7.50 per month on top of the contract price (I chose their cheapest rate), which I think is a good deal, and I hope the other mobile companies catch up soon. Orange's data costs are ruinously expensive, or at least they were when I was looking into this.

The device has been useful in all sorts of ways
... See more
there have been quite a few threads about this, and I'm sure I've praised my Nokia E61 before, as have Amy and Clare. Anyway.

T-mobile offer unlimited data for an extra £7.50 per month on top of the contract price (I chose their cheapest rate), which I think is a good deal, and I hope the other mobile companies catch up soon. Orange's data costs are ruinously expensive, or at least they were when I was looking into this.

The device has been useful in all sorts of ways - apart from email on the move. Yesterday I wrote my sister's birthday card in town, and realised I didn't have her postcode. A quick trip to the Royal Mail Postcode Finder on the web, and I could post the card there and then.
Collapse

Renate Reinartz
Renate Reinartz  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
hp iPAQ hw6515 or hw6915 Apr 30, 2007

I'm very happy with my hw6515 from hp. It also has GPS, so I can organize, phone, e-mail, surf, and navigate with it. Last year they sold a bundle with TomTom w/ Europe maps.

The display resolution is quite small 240x240. But the keybord is good. The camera is quite slow, has 1.3 Megapixel and no zoom, so I don't use it too much.

The newer version (hw6915) has also wifi, and a newer Windows mobile.

Advantage/disadvantage, depends on the point of view, is th
... See more
I'm very happy with my hw6515 from hp. It also has GPS, so I can organize, phone, e-mail, surf, and navigate with it. Last year they sold a bundle with TomTom w/ Europe maps.

The display resolution is quite small 240x240. But the keybord is good. The camera is quite slow, has 1.3 Megapixel and no zoom, so I don't use it too much.

The newer version (hw6915) has also wifi, and a newer Windows mobile.

Advantage/disadvantage, depends on the point of view, is that it is in Germany not bundled with a mobile contract. So the hardware is not sponsored.

Hope this helps. Renate
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDA

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »