Math writing software
Thread poster: Guy Bray
Guy Bray
Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:40
French to English
Jul 9, 2002

Does anyone know a source of software for assisted writing of mathematical and algebraic expressions including Greek characters, sub- and super-scripts, math operators, and so on?

I have to create a lot of expressions and equations for a technical translation (working from hard copy, so I can\'t just copy them). I really need more than just the fonts, though I\'ll probably need some of those too.

Thanks

TeX Jul 9, 2002

TeX (including LaTeX) (pronounced \'tech\' and \'lay-tech\'), is the definitive standard for composing equations (among other things; TeX is all around great.)

I can\'t recommend a specific application for Windows or Mac (LyX if you\'re on Unix), but this page has a bunch packages you can try (under the \'Free TeX implementations\' heading):

http://www.tug.org/interest.html
... See more
TeX (including LaTeX) (pronounced \'tech\' and \'lay-tech\'), is the definitive standard for composing equations (among other things; TeX is all around great.)

I can\'t recommend a specific application for Windows or Mac (LyX if you\'re on Unix), but this page has a bunch packages you can try (under the \'Free TeX implementations\' heading):

http://www.tug.org/interest.html

If you need to make the equations for use on the web, use one of the applications that says it supports MathML. MathML is the standard for math on the web.
Collapse

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:40
English to Spanish
As Jason says... Jul 9, 2002

LaTeX is the best text editor for scientific purposes. However, if you are not familiar with it and you don´t have Linux you will find it is not so easy to install under Windows and learn how to use it (although in my opinion it pays off in the long run).

If you just want to improve the equation editor Word has (which you have to specifically install, since it is not installed by default), I´d recommend to use Mathtype. You
... See more
LaTeX is the best text editor for scientific purposes. However, if you are not familiar with it and you don´t have Linux you will find it is not so easy to install under Windows and learn how to use it (although in my opinion it pays off in the long run).

If you just want to improve the equation editor Word has (which you have to specifically install, since it is not installed by default), I´d recommend to use Mathtype. You can download a free evaluation copy at http://www.mathtype.com, which functions for thirty days. It´s really easy to use and you copy & paste the equations to your document.

There is another Windows software called Scientific Word, which I understand is very good, but unfortunately I don´t have any experience with it (you can also download a free trial at http://www.mackichan.com/).

Good luck,

Rossana
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Editors and more about LaTeX Jul 9, 2002

Alpha is considered the best Mac LaTeX editor by many, but this page gives several more as well. Some possible PC editors include WinEdt, Emacs, Notetab.

Here is one way to get started finding out more about LaTeX.

ttagir
ttagir  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:40
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Depends on purposes and skills Jul 9, 2002

Please take into account that all words about TeX and all of its sons/daughters are .. for professionals in TeX writing. Indeed, to write in TeX you should know too many things. Writing in TeX is as code writing of program (see, for example, one tiny part of a AMSLateX file

-------------

\\documentstyle[%

righttag%

,11pt%

,amssymb%

]{amsart}

%%O\'K tts

% NB seek \\tex
... See more
Please take into account that all words about TeX and all of its sons/daughters are .. for professionals in TeX writing. Indeed, to write in TeX you should know too many things. Writing in TeX is as code writing of program (see, for example, one tiny part of a AMSLateX file

-------------

\\documentstyle[%

righttag%

,11pt%

,amssymb%

]{amsart}

%%O\'K tts

% NB seek \\text{...} constructions

\\newcommand{\\im}{\\operatorname{Im}}

\\newcommand{\\diag}{\\operatorname{diag}}

\\newcommand{\\tts}[1]{}

\\theoremstyle{plain}

\\theorembodyfont{\\it}

\\newtheorem{lemnonum}{\\hskip\\parindent

\\newtheorem{thmnonum}{\\hskip\\parindent

\\renewcommand{\\thelemnonum}{}

\\renewcommand{\\thethmnonum}{}

\\renewcommand{\\baselinestretch}{0.96}

%\\hoffset=-15mm% For Eng.

\\setcounter{page}{3}

\\god{2002}

\\nomer{7~(482)} %

\\nomer{Vol.\\,46, No.\\,7}% Set in Eng.

%\\str{\\pageref{begin}--\\pageref{end}}% Set in Eng. \\udk{517.968}

\\author{\\it X.Y.\\,ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ}

% NB: ^^ remove in Eng.

\\title{Analog of the Picard theorem for equation of 1-st genus in convolution with smooth kernel}

\\thanks{The work was partially supported by the XXXXXXXXXX, grant no. NN-NN-NNNNNN.}

\\date{}

\\pagestyle{myheadings}% Set in Eng.

\\begin{document}

\\thispagestyle{plain}% Set in Eng.

\\maketitle

\\label{begin}

In this article by means of the method of the theory of equations in convolutions on semi-infinite interval (see [1], [2]) a certain analog of the Picard theorem

(see [3], pp.\\,231--232) is obtained for the equation

\\begin{equation}

\\int_0^b k(x-t)u(t)dt=f(x),\\ \\ x\\in [d,c],

\\end{equation}

under conditions

\\begin{gather}

k,k\'\\in L_1 (d-b,c ),\\ \\ k(c )\\neq 0,\\ \\ k(d-b)\\neq 0,\\ \\ b>0,\\ \\ d
Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:40
English to Hungarian
+ ...
LaTeX is a great investment of time Jul 9, 2002

Do not get afraid of the samplein Ttagir\'s posting. He is right: (La)Tex is not an easy wysisyg system like Word, so in the beginning you will work slower. But with all the powerful applications (packages) that you can find at www.ctan.org and its mirror sites you can get absolutely superb results not only form mathematics but also phonetics, etc. I have been using it for several years, especially for writing an English-Hungarian ... See more
Do not get afraid of the samplein Ttagir\'s posting. He is right: (La)Tex is not an easy wysisyg system like Word, so in the beginning you will work slower. But with all the powerful applications (packages) that you can find at www.ctan.org and its mirror sites you can get absolutely superb results not only form mathematics but also phonetics, etc. I have been using it for several years, especially for writing an English-Hungarian dictionary of physics - and the output is way beyond Word\'s capacity. So, if you will need such a program for long term projects, take a deep breath and plunge into it!

You will also find lots of introductions (LaTex in 60 (61?) minutes) on the net, so you can fairly quickly come to master it at a level that is sufficient for most tasks.

Good luck!
Collapse

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Have you tried the Equation Editor in Word? Jul 9, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-09 00:20, Guy Bray wrote:

Does anyone know a source of software for assisted writing of mathematical and algebraic expressions including Greek characters, sub- and super-scripts, math operators, and so on?

I have to create a lot of expressions and equations for a technical translation (working from hard copy, so I can\'t just copy them). I really need more than just the fonts, though I\'ll probably need... See more
Quote:

On 2002-07-09 00:20, Guy Bray wrote:

I have to create a lot of expressions and equations for a technical translation (working from hard copy, so I can\'t just copy them). I really need more than just the fonts, though I\'ll probably need some of those too.

Thanks

As most people normally translate in Microsoft Word, have you tried Equation Editor in Word? I often create equations during translation and find it can also create decently complicated equations. As it is in Word, you do not have the protability issue later on.

I think Equation editor is available in Microsoft Office professional edition. You can go to Customize, select the Insert menu item and scroll down on the right pane and drag the Equation editor icon onto the toolbar. Each time, you need to insert an equation, just click that icon, then you can compose your equation.

Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's worth the investment in time! Jul 9, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-09 05:47, piro wrote:

Do not get afraid of the samplein Ttagir\'s posting. He is right: (La)Tex is not an easy wysisyg system like Word, so in the beginning you will work slower. But with all the powerful applications (packages) that you can find at http://www.ctan.org and its mirror sites you can get absolutely superb results not only form mathemati... See more
Quote:

On 2002-07-09 05:47, piro wrote:

Do not get afraid of the samplein Ttagir\'s posting. He is right: (La)Tex is not an easy wysisyg system like Word, so in the beginning you will work slower. But with all the powerful applications (packages) that you can find at http://www.ctan.org and its mirror sites you can get absolutely superb results not only form mathematics but also phonetics, etc. I have been using it for several years, especially for writing an English-Hungarian dictionary of physics - and the output is way beyond Word\'s capacity. So, if you will need such a program for long term projects, take a deep breath and plunge into it!

You will also find lots of introductions (LaTex in 60 (61?) minutes) on the net, so you can fairly quickly come to master it at a level that is sufficient for most tasks.

Good luck!

I would like to second what Attila has said. I am no science whiz like Dr. Tagirov, but I was able to learn LaTeX (no need to struggle with TeX: LaTeX was created precisely so that we lesser beings wouldn\'t have to bother learning TeX). A good way to help the learning process is by example: obtain a source file and study it together with its output to see why and how it does what it does. There are many resources on the web for learning LaTeX at every level. It is a worthwhile investment for anyone who has to write mathematical formulas.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-09 13:42 ]Collapse

Guy Bray
Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:40
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 9, 2002

Thank you all very much for your prompt, thoughtful, and valuable responses. I haven\'t yet had time to explore them all, but I\'m certain my problem is covered.

arterm
arterm  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 04:40
English to Russian
MS Equation covers all translators needs and more Jul 9, 2002

If you want to use MS Word just use Insert->Object->MS Equation

MS Equation covered all my needs during creation of hundreds of pages for various international conferences etc. LaTex is for scientists/programmers rather then translators.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Math writing software

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »