How much should I ask to translate?
Thread poster: RAMZULA
RAMZULA
RAMZULA
Local time: 02:54
May 2, 2012

Hi there

I am not a Certified Translator but I am good on it.

I found a local business offer.They need help a couple of times a month translating their office newsletter and some other internal documents into Spanish for the benefit of some of our employees who do not read English very well. I need not come to their office to do this and I am welcome to do it from home and they can email the documents back and forth.

Though documents will be periodic, and w
... See more
Hi there

I found a local business offer.They need help a couple of times a month translating their office newsletter and some other internal documents into Spanish for the benefit of some of our employees who do not read English very well. I need not come to their office to do this and I am welcome to do it from home and they can email the documents back and forth.

Though documents will be periodic, and would look for a couple of days turn-around for a few pages, they can negotiate the turnaround for longer needs as they arise. However, one document that is constant and they need someone they can depend on is for their newsletter. This would need to be done the last few days of each month, as they distribute it on the 1st.

Thus, they are looking for someone who is dependable and is not only bi-lingual with the ability to translate in writing, and can turnaround their office newsletter the last few days of each month. In addition, is able to accept periodic work as it arises.

They asked me to respond to this posting regarding my rate.I do not have any idea.Can you help me about it?
Thank you I will appreciate it

[Edited at 2012-05-02 20:19 GMT]
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:54
Italian to English
Site resource May 3, 2012

You might like to refer to this section (under the Tools tab > Community Rates):
http://www.proz.com/?sp=rates_view

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 11:54
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Make sure you charge a reasonable rate per hour May 3, 2012

Whether you are certified or not, translation is skilled work.
You should be able to earn a reasonable rate per hour, and you are self employed, so it should preferably be more than a wage-earner's take-home pay.

Remember you have to add time for administration and charge to cover tax and whatever other expenses may be involved.

Of course, you do have to consider the market you are working on, but don't set you rates too low. It can be difficult to raise them lat
... See more
Whether you are certified or not, translation is skilled work.
You should be able to earn a reasonable rate per hour, and you are self employed, so it should preferably be more than a wage-earner's take-home pay.

Remember you have to add time for administration and charge to cover tax and whatever other expenses may be involved.

Of course, you do have to consider the market you are working on, but don't set you rates too low. It can be difficult to raise them later.

As a freelancer you do not automatically get pay rises for long experience - every job is a one-off deal. If your work is good enough to deliver, and fit for the client's purpose, then it is good enough to charge the full price.

Best of luck!
Collapse

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
* May 3, 2012

RAMZULA wrote:

Hi there

Though documents will be periodic, and would look for a couple of days turn-around for a few pages, they can negotiate the turnaround for longer needs as they arise. However, one document that is constant and they need someone they can depend on is for their newsletter. This would need to be done the last few days of each month, as they distribute it on the 1st.

Thus, they are looking for someone who is dependable and is not only bi-lingual with the ability to translate in writing, and can turnaround their office newsletter the last few days of each month. In addition, is able to accept periodic work as it arises.

They asked me to respond to this posting regarding my rate.I do not have any idea.Can you help me about it?
Thank you I will appreciate it

[Edited at 2012-05-02 20:19 GMT]

10 US cents per source word should be ok.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:54
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
For full service and including proofreading by a third party? May 3, 2012

Alexander Onishko wrote:

RAMZULA wrote:
their newsletter. This would need to be done the last few days of each month, as they distribute it on the 1st.

A newsletter is an important marketing tool. Not only will she have to translate it, some independent party has to double-check it, then someone will do the typesetting and she will have to check the proofs again. How is that supposed to fit into US $0.10 per word? As far as I know, people on the American continent have stopped living in caves and eating roots and leaves many thousands years ago.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:54
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes... May 3, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:
As far as I know, people on the American continent have stopped living in caves and eating roots and leaves many thousands years ago.

Indeed. Many have replaced roots and leaves with peanuts!

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
No! May 4, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Alexander Onishko wrote:

RAMZULA wrote:
their newsletter. This would need to be done the last few days of each month, as they distribute it on the 1st.

A newsletter is an important marketing tool. Not only will she have to translate it, some independent party has to double-check it, then someone will do the typesetting and she will have to check the proofs again. How is that supposed to fit into US $0.10 per word? As far as I know, people on the American continent have stopped living in caves and eating roots and leaves many thousands years ago.

No! The question was about translating . The price suggested does not include any of the additional services that you mentioned, not even proofreading.

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:54
English to Russian
+ ...
Do they ask for your standard rate (if you have any) or a specific quote? May 4, 2012

Do they ask for your standard rate (if you have any) or a specific quote? The information provided above is not sufficient to suggest an exact quote, so you can give them an estimate if they share some more details (who will do the proofreading etc.), but you haven't even seen the first batch yet.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:54
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
This is a direct client May 4, 2012

Natalia Mackevich wrote:

Do they ask for your standard rate (if you have any) or a specific quote? The information provided above is not sufficient to suggest an exact quote, so you can give them an estimate if they share some more details (who will do the proofreading etc.), but you haven't even seen the first batch yet.

From the OP's account, this is a direct client, a local business.
They will be expecting a turnkey quote.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much should I ask to translate?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »