Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 12, 2002

Sometimes the world is wise.

Usually the world is weird.

Own theory. Have no grounds to support it.

Have a Tuesday!

Au

wise world

* A synonym is a word you use in place of one you can\'t spell

* Gardens are not made by singing \"Oh, how beautiful,\" and sitting in the shade.

* Truth is an empty room furnishe
... See more
Sometimes the world is wise.

Usually the world is weird.

Own theory. Have no grounds to support it.

Have a Tuesday!

Au

wise world

* A synonym is a word you use in place of one you can\'t spell

* Gardens are not made by singing \"Oh, how beautiful,\" and sitting in the shade.

* Truth is an empty room furnished by each succeeding generation.

* People matter, matter doesn\'t.

* We exchange our time for objects in hopes of gaining something that will endure.

* A city is a large community where people are lonesome together.

* A proverb is a short sentence based on long experience

* One of the greatest victories you can gain over a man is to beat him at politeness

* More things grow in the garden than the gardener sows.

* Everything is incredible, if you can skin off the crust of obviousness our habit puts on it.

weird world

* I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants

* The problem with political jokes is they get elected

* Speak the truth, but leave immediately after.

* My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right

* It\'s a widely accepted fact that if your parents didn\'t have any children, you won\'t either.

* Atheism is a non-prophet organization

* I\'ve always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been more specific.

* If you torture data sufficiently, it will confess to almost anything.

* If the heart is only a muscle, is love just an exercise?

* When right becomes wrong what\'s left?

Many critics, no defenders,

Translators have but two regrets:

When we hit no one remembers,

When we miss no one forgets...

Collapse

María Eugenia García
María Eugenia García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me encantó Au! Nov 12, 2002

Es genial lo que incluiste para este martes. Empezar un día de trabajo con un buen texto da gusto.

Excelente también el cierre. Ya lo estoy guardando para releerlo algún otro día.

Un beso y gracias por endulzarnos la mañana con unas líneas

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 11:36
English
+ ...
Dear Lovely Aurora Australis, Nov 12, 2002

Just keep beaming away at us -- we all need your civilizing influence and the smiles you ever gently wrest from our lips.

Bill Greendyk
Bill Greendyk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:36
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Isn´t THIS the truth!!! Nov 12, 2002

Quote:

This one doesn´t apply only to translators, Aurora, but to people in general! Great posting!

... See more
Quote:

This one doesn´t apply only to translators, Aurora, but to people in general! Great posting!

Collapse

María Alejandra Funes
María Alejandra Funes
English to Spanish
+ ...
Excellent! Nov 12, 2002

Thanks a lot, Au! This is just great

ALE

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Great posting Aurora! Nov 12, 2002

Very true, very true indeed...

Have a great day everyone!

Nathalie

claudia bagnardi
claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great selection, Aurora Nov 12, 2002

loved it. Thanks

Claudia

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
If you torture data sufficiently, it will confess to almost anything Nov 13, 2002

I was told this by a creative accountant from a national central bank...

MikeGarcia
MikeGarcia  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Para Aurorah... Nov 13, 2002

Mamita!! Que posting, flaqui!! Podés bajar los decibeles un poco?? Quiero dormir esta noche, bajo el viento levantisco que de Levante refresca las soleadas noches de estas tierras maravillosas, y vos me hacés carburara la croqueta!!

Ahora en serio, que alma divina que tenès, Madre Teresa argentina de este no demasiado humilde hijo putativo tuyo ( no confundir, no es un insulto...) que te has echao encima, jodé\"!!!

Te quiero,

MGU
[addsig]

Alexandru Pojoga
Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 06:36
Japanese to English
+ ...
A synonym is a word you use in place of one you can't spell Nov 13, 2002

or pronounce

Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Strange Is This World, Nov 14, 2002

Dear Au,

This is how the Polish pop singer Czeslaw Niemen felt when he recorded his song 30 years ago. Recently, it won a poll for the \'song of the century\' and I subscribe to this choice:

\"His biography has become part of the political history of Poland under communism, and his behavior and style of dress have become part of pop culture. This personality is matched with music composed and performed by Niemen, music that has always differed from th
... See more
Dear Au,

This is how the Polish pop singer Czeslaw Niemen felt when he recorded his song 30 years ago. Recently, it won a poll for the \'song of the century\' and I subscribe to this choice:

\"His biography has become part of the political history of Poland under communism, and his behavior and style of dress have become part of pop culture. This personality is matched with music composed and performed by Niemen, music that has always differed from the stereotypical songs heard on the radio.

The artistic path he has followed can be compared to that of the Beatles. Put simply, Niemen revolutionized singing in Poland. He has gained enormous popularity and has always sought more difficult forms, even when some listeners found them difficult to understand. He has limited his public appearances to focus on composing pieces far removed from the world of commercial production.(...)

His breakthrough came with his performance of \"Strange Is This World\" at the festival in Opole. \"Strange is this world/ which still holds/ so much evil/ and strange is it that/ for so long a man/ has despised another man\" he sang to critics who disliked his singing, clothes and long hair. The song was the first in Polish rock to be so sincere and thought-provoking. Niemen shocked listeners with his means of expression, which verged on shouting. And Niemen was shocking in other ways, too: In Opole, he performed in flower-patterned trousers and a striped jacket.\" (From The Warsaw Voice)

\"DZIWNY JEST TEN ŒWIAT\"

Dziwny jest ten œwiat

Gdzie jeszcze wci¹¿

Mieœci siê wiele z³a

I dziwne jest to

¯e od tylu lat

Cz³owiekiem gardzi cz³owiek

Dziwny jest ten œwiat

Œwiat ludzkich spraw

Czasem a¿ wstyd przyznaæ siê

A jednak czêsto jest

¯e ktoœ s³owem z³ym

Zabija tak jak no¿em

Lecz ludzi dobrej woli

Jest wiêcej

I mocno wierzê w to

¯e ten œwiat

Nie zginie nigdy dziêki nim

Nie!

Nadszed³ ju¿ czas

Najwy¿szy czas

Nienawiœæ zniszczyæ w sobie

muzyka i s³owa: Cz. Niemen

Beautiful!

Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Polish - English translator? Nov 14, 2002

Dear Jacek,

Thanks to a posting \"thought\" by our dear friend Bill Greendyk I can know enjoy the music of Madredeus whom I had never in my life heard of. The posting I´m talking about was one where Bill invited us to talk about our work style as far as music is concerned: do we listen to music while translating? If so, which type of music? As usual, the Spanish forum accepted the invitation to \"talk\" and we shared our views about working \"accompanied\" by Chopin, Beatl
... See more
Dear Jacek,

Thanks to a posting \"thought\" by our dear friend Bill Greendyk I can know enjoy the music of Madredeus whom I had never in my life heard of. The posting I´m talking about was one where Bill invited us to talk about our work style as far as music is concerned: do we listen to music while translating? If so, which type of music? As usual, the Spanish forum accepted the invitation to \"talk\" and we shared our views about working \"accompanied\" by Chopin, Beatles, \"Madredeus\" etc. (An interesting conclusion was that the majority of \"female\" proZians prefer to work without music...)

Now you mention this musician, Czeslaw Niemen, who has been compared with the Fab Four (you know I´m a big Beatles fan...) so I need to listen to his music and I would like to read about the way he \"challenges\" the world through his lyrics. I´m extremely curious to know what the song you included says.

Could you translate it for me? Now, my money is \"in the corralito\", can I wire transfer some of my BrowniZ?....

Au

Collapse

Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Dear Au, Nov 14, 2002

I missed that thread (no, I could not translate myself with music on), but I also love Madredeus!

I wish I could upload the Niemen sound file for you. Meanwhile, I asked my SC to give me a hand with the translation of the lyrics, and since leff was the first one, the credit goes to him for a good part of the following:

Strange is this world

which still holds

so much evil

and strange is it that

for so long a man ... See more
I missed that thread (no, I could not translate myself with music on), but I also love Madredeus!

I wish I could upload the Niemen sound file for you. Meanwhile, I asked my SC to give me a hand with the translation of the lyrics, and since leff was the first one, the credit goes to him for a good part of the following:

Strange is this world

which still holds

so much evil

and strange is it that

for so long a man

has despised another man

Strange is this world

world of human affairs

sometimes it is a shame to admit

but it is frequent

that somebody kills with a bad word,

like with a knife

But people of good will

are in a greater number

and I strongly believe

that thanks to them

this world will never perish

No!

Now is the time

the high time

to destroy the hate in us
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
flowers, poets, dreamers.... Nov 14, 2002

I feel like (partly) quoting Frost this morning:

I shall be telling this with optimism...

somewhere ages and ages hence:

Quote:

On 2002-11-14 10:22, jacek wrote:

But people of good will

are in a greater number

and I strongly believe

that thanks to them

... See more
I feel like (partly) quoting Frost this morning:

I shall be telling this with optimism...

somewhere ages and ages hence:

Quote:

On 2002-11-14 10:22, jacek wrote:

But people of good will

are in a greater number

and I strongly believe

that thanks to them

Thank you Jacek! Have a day!

A romantic poet, a band of four great musicians, a rock star in flower-patterned trousers, other ProZians, you and me seem to have similar dreams...

...And if you happen to have a couple of minutes have a look at Bill´s great posting:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=26510#26510Collapse

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Interesting fact Aurora! Nov 14, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-11-14 09:16, aurorah wrote:

...Bill invited us to talk about our work style as far as music is concerned: do we listen to music while translating? If so, which type of music?...

(An interesting conclusion was that the majority of \"female\" proZians prefer to work without music...)

Buenas Dias Aurora & todos

(Good morning Aur... See more
Quote:

On 2002-11-14 09:16, aurorah wrote:

...Bill invited us to talk about our work style as far as music is concerned: do we listen to music while translating? If so, which type of music?...

(An interesting conclusion was that the majority of \"female\" proZians prefer to work without music...)

Buenas Dias Aurora & todos

(Good morning Aurora & everyone!)

This is a very interesting fact Aurora!

I personally listen to music while I work. I have a huge collection of CD, Tapes, albums (yikes...I\'m dating myself here )

I listen to a wide variety of music as a whole (from classical music - Ravel, Vivaldi, Mozart & opera (La Bohème is my favorite) to more modern things like B-Tribe, Enya, Celine Dion, Sting, Genesis)

When I work, I particularly like to listen to Celtic music actually

So count me *in* as one of the \"female\" Prozians who listens to music every day while I work (please!) - since we seem to be a rather *rare* animal

I would love to hear on the work-habits of other Prozians while we\'re at it

Well folks, back to work for me, I have a very heavy work load these days...

Enjoy your day!

Nathalie

Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

www (wise? weird? world...)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »