Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
Local time: 16:35
German to English
+ ...
christmas Feb 28, 2017

Chris S wrote:

Cake. Wine. Sex. Danger. Not necessarily simultaneously.

In that order, Chris?

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Music Feb 28, 2017

Normally I can't listen to music and work simultaneously, but when I am creating complicated tables for annual reports, copying endless numbers for these reports, and/or doing massive cut and pastes, I crank up the tunes. Bluegrass, American and Franco-American roots, and "world music" keep me energized.

Judith Shiozawa (X)
Judith Shiozawa (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Other Feb 28, 2017

Either a nap or excercise!

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
When I want to do house chores, that is a a clear sign I'm bored (or just trying to procrastinate) Feb 28, 2017

Some jobs are really boring when you're past the "oh - exciting new terminology" point - and I have a wandering mind. So though I replied house chores, I usually allow myself small detours, reading articles, taking a walk, 10 minutes of stretching - or googling random things.

Denise DeVries
Denise DeVries  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Honestly... chocolate! Feb 28, 2017

Am I alone in this vice?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Household chores Feb 28, 2017

There's always stuff to do around the house and garden. This week I've acquired a pressure washer, then had to assemble it and fix and replace the leaky old hose connections arounds the place. Things like that and woodgathering/chopping forays or a bit of garden digging/recycling are welcome exercise after sitting hunched over the PC all the time...

Right now, I've popped in here because I'm fed up translating big long chemical names. I'll probably knock it on the head in about hal
... See more
There's always stuff to do around the house and garden. This week I've acquired a pressure washer, then had to assemble it and fix and replace the leaky old hose connections arounds the place. Things like that and woodgathering/chopping forays or a bit of garden digging/recycling are welcome exercise after sitting hunched over the PC all the time...

Right now, I've popped in here because I'm fed up translating big long chemical names. I'll probably knock it on the head in about half an hour and play my guitar for a bit...
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:35
French to English
Other Feb 28, 2017

Sleep, eternal sleep.

Gordana Sujdovic
Gordana Sujdovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Other Mar 1, 2017

No yearning for..I do it. Since I discovered thermal spa with open pool (water temperature 37°C, just 100 km away, open till midnight) I go there from late September till April, often, only not when it's well below zero or raining. One can work there in-between bathing with all kinds of massages, though not a place for tough projects; good for my back, neck,,,relaxing. Staying 2 days makes miracles, of course, when one has no obligations; my case. In other part of year, somewhere nearby, meanin... See more
No yearning for..I do it. Since I discovered thermal spa with open pool (water temperature 37°C, just 100 km away, open till midnight) I go there from late September till April, often, only not when it's well below zero or raining. One can work there in-between bathing with all kinds of massages, though not a place for tough projects; good for my back, neck,,,relaxing. Staying 2 days makes miracles, of course, when one has no obligations; my case. In other part of year, somewhere nearby, meaning 30 km around, either to pools or weekend house in the mountains. My office (laptop) goes with me all the time.Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:35
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I wonder Mar 1, 2017

I wonder if a really busy translator can really "get bored" and "take a long" break to do something else. Then come back and be just as bored? When you have a commitment, you cannot procrastinate too much.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
coffee addict Mar 1, 2017

Chris S wrote:

Cake. Wine. Sex. Danger. Not necessarily simultaneously.

Coffee. Smoking. Twitter (I do Twitter translations, and receive each day few small tasks so there is always something to translate) . Music. Not necessarily simultaneously, but can be on the balcony

[Edited at 2017-03-01 05:38 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When an assignment bores you, you suddenly find yourself yearning for:

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »