Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: The feeling I had when I finished the last job I worked on was
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 09:42
SITE STAFF
Jan 31, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "The feeling I had when I finished the last job I worked on was".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:42
English to French
+ ...
Satisfaction Jan 31, 2008

If the editor finds more than one error per page, I will eat a sheet of 8.5 x 11...

I was just happy to have done a good job. It's close to a feeling of accomplishment - but the text I worked on didn't really offer a challenge, so I am going with satisfaction instead.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Relief Jan 31, 2008

I voted relief.

I generally work on 1,000-page dossiers or parts of them with hundreds of pages. When I finally finish one, it’s like having gone on a long, tiring hike and finally reaching the end. Phew!

Jon O (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Who on earth.. Jan 31, 2008

feels sad after finishing a translation? Is the job that emotionally engaging?

[Edited at 2008-01-31 16:54]

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Satisfaction... Jan 31, 2008

...and a little relief, since it meant I could finally go to bed.icon_smile.gif

Jon O wrote:

It depends on the translation. Occasionally a job crops up in which the end client is either a horrible group of people who do horrible but legal things, or they're aid workers helping people who live in horrible conditions. Either way, it can be emotionally draining.

[Edited at 2008-01-31 17:25]

Anne Wosnitza  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to German
+ ...
Accomplishment AND nervousness Jan 31, 2008

It was the first job this year AND it was for a friend and colleague of mine so I was quite nervous until I got her feedback - which then made my dayicon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

[Bearbeitet am 2008-01-31 17:39]

tinageta  Identity Verified
English to Latvian
+ ...
Anger, annoyance and hatred Jan 31, 2008

Another unscrupulous "colleague" whose work I had to translate from scratch overnight to save the world from something that could be classified as the most horrible translation ever.

icon_frown.gif

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:42
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Achievement Jan 31, 2008

It was about Fabergé eggs, which I didn't know a lot about, but I learned quite a bit in the course of doing it and got it to the customer within a very tight deadline and to his satisfaction.

Going back. to the job before that: relief. It concerned an engineer sucked into a jet engine and spewed out in thousands of pieces. Interesting but gruesome. I was glad to get back to something a bit less depressing.

[Edited at 2008-01-31 22:21]

Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 11:42
German to English
Relief Jan 31, 2008

It was a late-nighter, and I'm getting too old for that kind of thing!icon_wink.gif

Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:42
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Satisfaction and relief Jan 31, 2008

John Cutler wrote:

I voted relief.

I generally work on 1,000-page dossiers or parts of them with hundreds of pages. When I finally finish one, it’s like having gone on a long, tiring hike and finally reaching the end. Phew!

I understand John. Last big job was 41,000 words of petrochemistry processes, which I like (satisfaction) and now we're hanging around with 93k+ safety & health policies to deliver in 20 days (I will feel the relief then).

You get a very deep breathe when you get to deliver on time.

Take care,

Andrés

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translations can trigger many emotions, depending on the topic Jan 31, 2008

Jon O wrote:

Over the years I've had jobs that left me with a deep feeling of sadness. Others have left me with anger, disgust, happiness, intrigue, etc., etc., etc.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Now, that's a good example of a job you might feel sad about Feb 1, 2008

Jack Doughty wrote:

It concerned an engineer sucked into a jet engine and spewed out in thousands of pieces.

I hope I never come across a job like THAT one! It seems there actually are limits to what I am willing to work on...

Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Other Feb 1, 2008

HUNGER! Finshed the job, headed to the fridge...icon_biggrin.gif

Amy

Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:42
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
What about frustration? Feb 1, 2008

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "The feeling I had when I finished the last job I worked on was".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Although I answered "relief", as that is what I feel when completing a lenghty annual report plus detailed accounts, etc., what about "frustration" as an option?
I recently had to translate part of the investigation of an intriguing murder in Costa Rica, but only part of it (urgent, natch), and felt frustration on finishing it. I wanted to know more - what happened, did they catch the criminals ... ? No satisfying dénouement, as on TV!
Regards,
Jenny.
P.S. Jack, I'd love to have had that job about Fabergé eggs! And I have had jobs (art exhibition catalogues, etc.) from which I too have learned much.

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Other: cabin fever! Feb 1, 2008

Finished the job, beat to the streets - it was getting increasingly more difficult to breathe insideicon_biggrin.gif

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: The feeling I had when I finished the last job I worked on was

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search