Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you think a professional-looking profile photo helps you attract more clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 30, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you think a professional-looking profile photo helps you attract more clients?".

View the poll results »

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 04:48
Turkish to English
+ ...
I do not see the relevance Nov 30, 2013

I do not see what bearing my physical appearance could possibly have on my ability as a translator, and I do not display a photograph.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:48
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hear, hear! Nov 30, 2013

Tim Drayton wrote:

I do not see what bearing my physical appearance could possibly have on my ability as a translator, and I do not display a photograph.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 03:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, to some extent Nov 30, 2013

Some people (potential clients) might be impressed by a professional-looking profile photo. On the other hand, others may be suspicious of anything too polished and glossy-looking.

My teeth are currently in such an awful state that I'd have to appear poker-faced, as a smile would be more likely to scare them away...

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hear hear from me too! Nov 30, 2013

Tim Drayton wrote:

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
To some extent ... Nov 30, 2013

I used to have a dancing elephant as my profile picture. Cute though it was, the number of enquiries from potential customers increased dramatically when I changed it to a picture of me, albeit not necessarily a professional-looking one!

Martina Eco
Martina Eco  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
not for translators, maybe, but crucial to interpreters Nov 30, 2013

Maybe the picture is not important for a translator's profile, but it is crucial to an interpreter. A lot of postings clearly state that the client wants a "good looking" interpreter, so a professional-looking profile picture is absolutely necessary, I think.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:48
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
We've discussed this before Nov 30, 2013

I think it's human nature to want to see a face - there's something reassuring about it.

A logo is certainly business-like; no quibble there. I just think that faces get more attention and earn more confidence. And if you're going to show it, you want to put your best face forward - at least I do.

Simon Chiassai
Simon Chiassai  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
depends Nov 30, 2013

Although it is true that physical appearance does not have anything to do with my ability as a linguist, I believe a good enough photo helps sell myself. First, showing your face makes the whole "Internet search" more personal. Out of two equally strong profiles, the one with the picture is likely to stand out more.
And it's like the cover of a book. We shouldn't judge said book by its cover, but I'll admit I sometimes do. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

That being
... See more
Although it is true that physical appearance does not have anything to do with my ability as a linguist, I believe a good enough photo helps sell myself. First, showing your face makes the whole "Internet search" more personal. Out of two equally strong profiles, the one with the picture is likely to stand out more.
And it's like the cover of a book. We shouldn't judge said book by its cover, but I'll admit I sometimes do. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

That being said, my picture isn't that great either...
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
I don't know Nov 30, 2013

I'm considering having a photo taken of me in a business suit and using it as my profile pic. Will let you know if it works!

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
in my opinion Nov 30, 2013

a professional looking photo might help, for sure a very unprofessional photo can destroy you.
I am not talking about pictures taken at the beach, but if you use a picture where you are "fighting against wonderful BBQ ribs with sauce"... well... not your best choice!

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
To some extent Nov 30, 2013

I think my photo conveys a little bit about who I am - mature (ahem!), experienced and still with a sense of adventure and a sense of humour. Clients are human too, they like to see and get a sense of who they are talking to and where they are coming from, I think.

Steve K.

[Edited at 2013-11-30 13:48 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Elizabeth Nov 30, 2013

Elizabeth T wrote:

I'm considering having a photo taken of me in a business suit and using it as my profile pic. Will let you know if it works!

You look good and smart in your photo, no need for a suit in my opinion! (or have you already changed?)

I'm sure photos can make a good impression. I'm not looking to make an impression and I have had enough of virtual stalking which is why I don't even have one.

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Yes, definitely Nov 30, 2013

I think it reassures clients to see who they are dealing with and I chose a photo to reflect the professional image I want to project.

I made a decision to use a photo rather than a logo, because I am clear in my own mind that I am a person and not a brand. Whilst I think a logo would appear equally professional, I feel that it is a better fit for a larger organisation than for an individual translator.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably Nov 30, 2013

It certainly can't hurt.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think a professional-looking profile photo helps you attract more clients?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »