Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:50
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
How about the other end of the process? Sep 25, 2014

I can be 99.9% sure that my client has the latest free Adobe Acrobat reader, so I can expect them to be able to make use of my edits and comments made using that program.

If I invest in some other program (or just download a free one) can I be sure that the result will be useful to my client? Will they also have to go out and buy it? Remember that the term "client" often hides the fact that both an agency and an end-client need to be able to access our work.

I'd be int
... See more
I can be 99.9% sure that my client has the latest free Adobe Acrobat reader, so I can expect them to be able to make use of my edits and comments made using that program.

If I invest in some other program (or just download a free one) can I be sure that the result will be useful to my client? Will they also have to go out and buy it? Remember that the term "client" often hides the fact that both an agency and an end-client need to be able to access our work.

I'd be interested to know, though I must say that the latest Reader seems to work fine for me and my clients.
Collapse

Vanessa Di Stefano
Vanessa Di Stefano  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
InFix PDF Editor and the other end of the process Sep 25, 2014

Hi Reed and Sheila,

First of all, thank you Reed for what looks like another very good recommendation. I will keep that ‘on file’ as
they say, as I have already splashed out on PDFPen and can't really justify another splash-out at the moment.
However, it does look very interesting, and I wish I had known about it before I bought the PDFPen!

On that note, just in case anyone is interested, I have an update on PDFPen. Having taken the time setting up all<
... See more
Hi Reed and Sheila,

First of all, thank you Reed for what looks like another very good recommendation. I will keep that ‘on file’ as
they say, as I have already splashed out on PDFPen and can't really justify another splash-out at the moment.
However, it does look very interesting, and I wish I had known about it before I bought the PDFPen!

On that note, just in case anyone is interested, I have an update on PDFPen. Having taken the time setting up all
the symbols etc, the programme was ready to go. On the whole it works quite well, but I have found one quite
serious glitch and one nuisance. The glitch is that the programme quite often freezes and I have to force-quit it
and re-open. Apparently this is caused by something in the particular PDF you're working on and the only way
around that is to select Print>Save as PDF, and then reopen the newly saved version. That process apparently
‘flattens’ the PDF and enables you to keep working with it. The only thing to be aware of is that any symbols or
markings already placed will now no longer be editable.

The nuisance is that it is quite tiring on the wrist, and somewhat time-consuming (compared to hand-written symbols), to drag, drop and resize the symbols with a trackpad. The plus side of PDFPen is that you can get it on the iPad as well, where it can connect to Dropbox, Google Drive etc, and where you can use some styluses and therefore speed up the process.

Sheila, your point is very valid of course, though I think if the document has been saved as a PDF, most will be
able to at least read it. The question might become more important if the client, or end-user has to do more than
simply read the document, though presumably s/he will have all the necessary programmes that s/he needs to
deal with PDFs anyway, as they will be part of her/his daily workload. Fortunately in my case my end-user simply needs to be able to read it.

Thank you both for your input !
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
You can use a pen on your PC Sep 25, 2014

Vanessa Di Stefano wrote:
The nuisance is that it is quite tiring on the wrist, and somewhat time-consuming (compared to hand-written symbols), to drag, drop and resize the symbols with a trackpad.

You may find a graphics tablet easier to use. They are inexpensive. I have something like this and it works very well:
www.amazon.co.uk/o/ASIN/B00ME7HE5Q

Vanessa Di Stefano
Vanessa Di Stefano  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Graphics tablet option Sep 25, 2014

Hi Dan,

I did think about that, but opted for a stylus instead as it's more portable and not an additional tablet to carry around. But thank you very much for the tip , I will still bear it in mind in case the stylus doesn't work out.

Vanessa

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF annotation / correction application or programme

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »