Thread poster: Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:07
German to English
Jul 7, 2005

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/default.stm

The news has been getting worse all morning, and police are now aware of 6 bomb explosions on public transport during the morning rush hour.

Hundreds of people have been caught up in this. Mobile phone services are giving priority to emergency calls, so communications are disrupted just as everyone is trying to contact relatives etc.<
... See more
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/default.stm

The news has been getting worse all morning, and police are now aware of 6 bomb explosions on public transport during the morning rush hour.

Hundreds of people have been caught up in this. Mobile phone services are giving priority to emergency calls, so communications are disrupted just as everyone is trying to contact relatives etc.

My husband called home a little while ago, thankfully. It's going to be a traumatic day.
================================================================

Sorry for infringing the rules - this was not an attempt to start a discussion, but a heads-up about likely communication problems today.

[Edited at 2005-07-07 13:19]
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:07
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Very serious incident in London this morning Jul 7, 2005

I live in South West of England but even so it is going to influence everybody. I suppose everebody hoped it is not going to happen here, in England but it did after all. Lets just hope there are no fatalities (or as few as possible).

Burrell

Anabel Martínez
Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
awful news again Jul 7, 2005

I've been following all this situation the whole morning... As a citizen of Barcelona, Spain, this all sounds terribly familiar, and I can only hope the real number of victims is not as great as the chaos seems to be.

What else can I say? I can't think of anything that makes any sense of this...

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Terrible! Jul 7, 2005

There are no words to describe this horrible situation!

My thoughts go to the families of the innocent victims...

Alfredo Tutino
Alfredo Tutino  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
just my friendship, affection and solidarity Jul 7, 2005

...to all of us who live in UK, and a particular hug to all Londoners.

Hoping none of us has been directly hit.

Words are cheap, but it's all we have - we'll make it!

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 10:07
English to Spanish
Let's make this forum... Jul 7, 2005

a place where all Londoner collegues can tell us they are all right... my thoughts immediately went to them when I heard the news! Just a quick line will do...

[Edited at 2005-07-07 12:08]

Adam Bartley
Adam Bartley  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:07
Member (2011)
Latin to English
+ ...
Concern for colleagues Jul 7, 2005

Good to hear that Natalie's family are ok. Do we have a list of London-based colleagues? Might be good to see that they all 'check-in' as opportunity permits.

Betty Revelioti
Betty Revelioti
Greece
Local time: 16:07
Member (2003)
English to Greek
+ ...
Waiting for all Londoners...... Jul 7, 2005

Rossana Triaca wrote:

a place where all Londoner collegues can tell us they are all right... my thoughts immediately went to them when I heard the news! Just a quick line will do...

[Edited at 2005-07-07 12:08]

Just one tiny OK...

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Temporarily locking this thread Jul 7, 2005

Due to time Zones, the moderator of this forum is not yet available. I believe this topic to be outside the scope of the site but I will leave it for Claudia to decide.

Meanwhile I will temporarily block this thread until Claudia can make her own decision.

Thanks for your understanding.

Enrique Cavalitto

[Edited at 2005-07-07 12:33]

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Dear colleagues Jul 7, 2005

We all hope our Londoner colleagues and their families are fine.

I must remind here that this kind of discussion is out of scope for Proz.com. We have already seen this kind of situation and discussion when something similar happened in Madrid and it was decided that only discussions about natural disasters would be allowed.
Plea
... See more
We all hope our Londoner colleagues and their families are fine.

I must remind here that this kind of discussion is out of scope for Proz.com. We have already seen this kind of situation and discussion when something similar happened in Madrid and it was decided that only discussions about natural disasters would be allowed.
Please refer to http://www.proz.com/scope
and http://www.proz.com/faq/forums#forums_natural_disasters

Proz.com encourages to contact privately and directly those members you know.

I'm going to lock this topic.

Claudia

So when a topic is locked or removed, this is no indication of the personal viewpoint of the person locking it. FAQ
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disruption in London this morning

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »