Poll: When do you usually invoice your clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 8, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When do you usually invoice your clients?".

This poll was originally submitted by Monika Jakacka. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:51
German to English
+ ...
Monthly Mar 8, 2013

I invoice regular customers for all jobs completed in the month at the end of the month. New customers get an invoice with the delivery of the translation.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:51
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Right away Mar 8, 2013

That's my goal at least. When invoicing is done through an online portal, I find it easy--and wise--to get my invoice in ASAP. Other clients have more complicated procedures, and in those cases I sometimes tend to procrastinate. Once I delayed so long that the client was no longer in business, and that experience hit home. Since then, I've been quite prompt. I really don't see the point in waiting until the end of the month.

IIf I had a lot of short assignments, I might feel differ
... See more
That's my goal at least. When invoicing is done through an online portal, I find it easy--and wise--to get my invoice in ASAP. Other clients have more complicated procedures, and in those cases I sometimes tend to procrastinate. Once I delayed so long that the client was no longer in business, and that experience hit home. Since then, I've been quite prompt. I really don't see the point in waiting until the end of the month.

IIf I had a lot of short assignments, I might feel differently, but my jobs tend to be quite long. If I do take an occasional short one, it will get forgotten if I don't take care of it right away.

[Edited at 2013-03-08 09:05 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:51
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends Mar 8, 2013

New customers: the invoice is always delivered with the translation. Regular customers: invoices are generated on a monthly basis. Anyway, I always prepare the invoice immediately after completing the job...

[Edited at 2013-03-08 09:12 GMT]

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:51
English to Italian
Other Mar 8, 2013

regular client (steady workflow): monthly
regular client (irregular workflow): it depends on deadlines (i.e. 2/3 jobs with similar deadline? invoice for all of them), otherwise job by job
new client: invoice is sent along with the translation
other: some clients (I have worked for in the past) contact me every now and then, and they receive an invoice when a good amount is reached, which means I can send an invoice for jobs carried out in a period between 2 months and 1 year

Pierluigi Bernardini
Pierluigi Bernardini  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Other/it depends Mar 8, 2013

The same for me. As for clients who I work with regularly I send an invoice at the end of the month as agreed with them (they could send me more than one a job throughout the month), while for new or occasional clients I send it as soon as I finish the job.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:51
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Depends ... Mar 8, 2013

Most often monthly, unless the client requires otherwise.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Mar 8, 2013

Usually once a week, otherwise when I have time. I enerally try to do it as soon as I can as many customers tend to stretch their payments by a week or two.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
about 2 days after delivery Mar 8, 2013

..just to be sure there are no final issues to take care of.
A couple of my clients insist on end of month invoices, then I comply to that.

[Edited at 2013-03-08 10:53 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Mar 8, 2013

There are a some clients that I invoice once a month, and there's some I invoice after a couple of days upon completion and confirmation of receipt.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:51
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
other Mar 8, 2013

If it's a new client, right away. If it's a client for whom I don't do a large volume of work, right away. For clients who provide regular work, or several projects per month, then it's monthly.
One of my clients asks that invoices be provided upon completion and I will sometimes do several projects per month, mostly smaller editing. SO I'll get several small payments sent at once.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Mar 8, 2013

In my case it depends; I bill some clients as soon as the job is finished, especially if it's a one-off. With others, if I'm getting regular work from them, I may bill them on a monthly, quarterly or even six-monthly basis. On other occasions, I may wait until the amount owing is decent enough to make it worth my while preparing the invoice. It all depends - flexibility is the key.

(This poll rings a bell...)

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:51
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Another poll we've had recently Mar 8, 2013

And the answer is still unchanged.

Some clients want to be invoiced for every job, some want to be invoiced once a month.

Peter van der Hoek
Peter van der Hoek
Spain
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Every 30th of the month. Mar 22, 2013

Since I only work for a select group of regular clients who send me multiple assignments each month, invoicing is quite easy for me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When do you usually invoice your clients?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »