Google translate proofreading projects
Thread poster: Djana Surkovic

Djana Surkovic  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 10:54
French to Bosnian
+ ...
Jul 21

Projects of proofreading google translations are very often lately. Should we accept those projects and deteriorate that way our income and our work?

Direct link Reply with quote

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jul 21

No.

Well, I suppose it depends how desperate you are.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
You're your own boss Jul 21

I don't see the point of accepting GT-prepped files if you KNOW it brings no value in what you do. If it did, you would use it yourself, wouldn't you?

But if you hit your target hourly rate proofreading GT projects, without later complaints from agency/end customer, then why not.
If an agency offered me paper clip unbending assignments at my hourly rate, I'd give them priority. It's likely less demanding than translation.

Philippe

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:54
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No. Jul 21

Djana Surkovic wrote:

Projects of proofreading google translations are very often lately. Should we accept those projects and deteriorate that way our income and our work?

No. I would rather not deteriorate that way. I'm deteriorating in my own way.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 09:54
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jul 21

I have never been asked to proofread Google translations, but as it happens I refuse most proofreading projects because I prefer to spend my time translating...

Shouguang Cao
China
Local time: 17:54
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
No Jul 21

I saw such an offer once and simply ignored it.

Sometimes Google Translate is just amazing, but it's totally unpredictable, and sometimes it fails drastically. I will not take this proofreading job as it will be frustrating.

Google Translate can be a wonderful reference tool for translators though. I consider it as a help for translators, rather than replacing human translators.

inesec  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Yes but at the rate of translation from scratch Jul 21

I have received such offer twice or thrice but after the reply above I have not heard anything from the "client".

Djana Surkovic  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
French to Bosnian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
- Jul 21

I agree that we should ask for the same price as it was translation project.

Gitte Hovedskov
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Entirely your choice Jul 22

Who is to say what thousands of individual translators should or shouldn't do?

We are all individuals, and what we want to do, what kind of work we enjoy or are willing to undertake, and how we want to run our businesses - these are all individual choices.

If YOU want to proofread Google-translated material, go for it.

I wouldn't...

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:54
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
To enhance our productivity Jul 23

Djana Surkovic wrote:

The functions to enhance the Neural Machine Translation System is the latest MT to assist translators for more productivity. I support this movement and I am an advocate of latest technology to help human translators.
I am going to be 65 years old. This is why I need to move proactively.

Dr. Soonthon Lupkitaro
Bangkok, Thailand

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Short sighted Jul 24

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Djana Surkovic wrote:

The functions to enhance the Neural Machine Translation System is the latest MT to assist translators for more productivity. I support this movement and I am an advocate of latest technology to help human translators.
I am going to be 65 years old. This is why I need to move proactively.

What's the point in being more productive if you're being paid less?

It's a bit like CAT tools. You can use one to enhance your productivity (and consistency), so all good, no? Pity that so many clients ask you to use one in order to (recursively) lower your rates by requesting so called "fuzzy discounts"...

Mona El-Shazly  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 11:54
Member (2016)
Arabic to English
+ ...
it depends on the language pair Jul 26

I do not like proofreading projects, but if you want to try you should consider the language pair first, some language are not tiresome to revise, while others you have to repeat the translation from scratch.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google translate proofreading projects

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search