Off topic: Have you seen this?
Thread poster: Daina Jauntirans

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:09
German to English
+ ...
Nov 15, 2002

This is related to the language industry, but didn\'t seem to fit anywhere else.

Given the huge demand for Arabic speakers, this seems like an incredibly short-sighted policy.

Direct link Reply with quote Turn social sharing on.
Like 10

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:09
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Daina Nov 15, 2002

Did you forget the link?

Like 7

Bob Kerns  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:09
Member (2002)
German to English
Have we seen what? Nov 15, 2002

Daina, there seems to be something missing in your original posting. The suspense is killing me .-)

Like 16

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry! Nov 15, 2002

Sorry! Somehow the link got bumped. Here is the link again:

http://edition.cnn.com/2002/US/11/14/gaymilitary.linguists.ap/index.html

The story is from CNN and is entitled \"Military Dismisses Gay Linguists\" (Nov. 14, 2002)

Like 15

Dr. Fred Thomson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:09
German to English
Big difference between linguist and student! Nov 15, 2002

I was the honor graduate of my 13 month class in the Turkish language at Monterey. I love languages and work hard to master them. Nevertheless, even after graduating first in my class I would not have called myself a linguist in Turkish upon my graduation. Graduates of this school are just barely getting started, i.e., their skills are minimal. I guess what I am saying is that the army did not lose professional linguists when it let these people go. Except for the two who were caught in a room, they basically elected to get out of the service, i.e., under the \"don\'t ask, don\'t tell\" policy they could have stayed in the service if they had get their mouths shut.

I am sure that these gentlemen will be able to find suitable utilization if their language skills are high enough.

Like 17

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:09
Chinese to English
+ ...
Even so... Nov 16, 2002

The government can\'t get qualified and experienced people because their pay and working conditions are so abysmal (i.e., offer of US$25 per hour to work on-site, no benefits, at the pleasure of the FBI in Chinese>English).

Besides, in this day and age, what the heck difference does it make if those guys like other guys, girls, space aliens...etc.? I would expect that it\'s difficult to blackmail a translator, and ostensibly that\'s the government\'s main concern for ousting homosexuals, right? What do you gain by throwing these guys out?

I\'m getting tired of listening to the government whine about how they can\'t get good help. They\'re low-paying, slow-paying, and slow to get contracts out...if they were a business or a translation agency, most likely most pros wouldn\'t work for them (which is just about what\'s happening, I guess.) Compete with private industry and you\'ll get the best and brightest. What private company could fire somebody for being gay and get away with it???

Just saying...

Like 12

Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 21:09
English
+ ...
On blackmail Nov 16, 2002

Hetero/homosexual adulterers, gay and/or pedophile translators will always be open to blackmail, be they translators, streetsweepers or cabinet secretaries (oddly, Gen. Eisenhower\'s relationship to his driver took decades to become public).

Clearly, a government that disregards sexual orientation would have more \"secure\" gay employees.

People of all walks of life tell things to bedmates, whatever the mix & match combination, that they would be very guarded about relating to others.

Fortunately, a ban on sex remains in the interests of no country.

Like 6

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Even so Nov 17, 2002

There seem to be relatively few people studying Arabic in this country, so even people who are not \"full linguists\" would have been useful. That\'s interesting about the working conditions for contractors; I had heard about the same story elsewhere, too.

Like 13

Céline Graciet
Local time: 14:09
English to French
Arthur, I'm sure you didn't mean to be insulting... Dec 4, 2002

but I do strongly object to you putting gays and paedophiles in the same sentence, which is something that I often see in the media and drives me up the wall. Why do gays and paedophiles constantly get associated when there is nothing to warrant this??? Paedophilia wasn\'t even mentioned in the article!

Like 12

Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 21:09
English
+ ...
Céline -- I threw everybody in that boat that looked vulnerable, starting with adulterers. Dec 6, 2002

Tried to list people in my imagined order of frequency -- based on the unverifiable supposition that there are more adulterers than homosexuals and more of the latter than paedophiles. The last supposition may be the shakiest but since the order of citation overlapped with alphabetical order, that\'s how it stayed.

Your issue is of course a valid one: sex with minors (i.e. statutory rape)is obviously not confined to the homosexual communities.

Like 6

Céline Graciet
Local time: 14:09
English to French
reply to Arthur Dec 6, 2002

Hi Arthur, thanks for your reply, I still don\'t understand how you can put adulterers (who choose to cheat on their partner) with gays (who fall in love with people from the same sex) and paedophiles (criminals who rape children) on the same level.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-06 20:07 ]

Like 11

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
I see no offense Dec 7, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-06 20:02, celineg wrote:

Hi Arthur, thanks for your reply, I still don\'t understand how you can put adulterers (who choose to cheat on their partner) with gays (who fall in love with people from the same sex) and paedophiles (criminals who rape children) on the same level.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-06 20:07 ]

I think Arthur said all these people could be open to blackmail, not that they are on the same level in any other respect.

Enrique
[addsig]

Like 5

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you seen this?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search